Hypocrite?

Old 03-12-13, 12:40 PM
Hypocrite?

I thought this was a stand up guy. It looks like he's just another hypocrite.
LINK

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-13, 12:46 PM
Group Moderator
I was feeling ok about it until I hit the line about him buying the type of weapon he wants restricted.

Old 03-12-13, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Although the explanation is that he bought the AR just to show how easy it is to buy one...what bothers me is that he's a highly decorated Navy pilot and veteran of 4 space shuttle missions. Why would he wonder that his purchase was simple? Not much different than a person with a 800 credit score being able to buy a $100K car in 20 min if they want to.

Personally...I think he bought it as a play thing (not that guns are toys...but you know my meaning) and when the story broke, he flipped it. Oddly, that type weapon was not a factor in his wife's assault.

I'll go out on a limb here and say I have no problem with reasonable magazine restrictions. 15 for pistols and 20 for long guns. Heck...I can change an 8 rd mag in my old school .45s in less than 2 seconds, quicker if I've been practicing....explain to me the difference. I don't even have a problem with waiting periods. How many times have you bought something and looked at it the next day and said...I didn't really need to buy that? It's not like a tool that you need NOW to compete a job. Back in VA there was a 5 day on one side of the bay...none on the other. How strange was that?

Old 03-12-13, 02:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What gets me is the term 'assault rifle' What exactly makes any weapon an assault weapon. As far as I know the average citizen can't buy a fully automatic weapon...... and if I was to attack someone with my ax - wouldn't that ax be then an assault weapon?

Old 03-12-13, 04:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think the misnomer has gone too far and become part of the vernacular. They are technically "defensive weapons", not assault weapons. If I were in an assault, I would not want a semi automatic weapon. Full auto, 3 shot burst Kalishnikov, thank you.

Old 03-12-13, 04:30 PM
I like that term Larry, why do they oppose defensive weapons? We should all start avoiding the assault word.

Bud

Old 03-12-13, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Indeed Mark....it's a term that labels anything even remotely military...at least for the media.

An assault rifle by definition is capable of selective fire. AR-15s and the like are not. Most cannot even be modified to be, except by master machinists. No simple drop in kits. And the parts required, even after the modification (if possible) are regulated the same as a full auto firearm. The term has been co-opted to include anything that even looks similar.

Old 03-12-13, 06:25 PM
It was co opted years ago during the Clinton administration. Blame politicians the left wing media and the ignorant, uninformed public for the continued confusion.

Until I showed them the difference my wife and my daughter both thought that the "assault" rifles under discussion were the full auto stuff so prevalent on TV and in the movies. Neither realized that full auto weapons are illegal.

As for Kelly, the more I read, the more I believe he's a hypocrite. Had he wanted to make a point about how easy it is to buy an AR-15 why didn't he bring a media guy with him. It was only after he got busted that he came up with the "doing society a favor" excuse. He should crawl into a hole.

Old 03-12-13, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't call him a hypocrite myself I actually think of him as a misinformed person more than a hypocrite. You could also call him a man in love with his wife and he feels the same way his wife does. Its true the AR-15 is not a machine gun as they haven't been legal to sell in years to the average citizen. The AR-15 though is considered an assault rifle according to Wikipedia here is an article on machine guns Machine gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . As I see it since this weapon most likely is also used by the police assault weapon is a good name but it can also be called a defensive weapon too. The average person though will not be using this as an assault weapon so it really depends on who is using the rifle which can be classified as semi-automatic according to the article.

The thing that gets me though is he goes and buys the AR-15 from a gun shop and then says oh I need to get rid of that we can't have anyone else have the ability to have an assault rifle. Well excuse me sir but unless you are the police you really can't call that an assault weapon, the most you can call it is a defensive weapon.

Also I just wonder what he thinks the gun dealer is going to do. Can he honestly say to himself that the gun dealer will not buy more to sell especially if it is a good seller? How stupid can he get. What scares me more is people selling guns outside of shops where there is no background check. All I really want to see is background checks at all public places where guns are sold. If he really wanted to make a point then he should have gone to a gun show that didn't have background checks.

Old 03-13-13, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
hedge...you need to read the article again. At least if it was the one about the AR-15. Current production ARs are NOT assault rifles and wiki does not refer to them as such. The original AR-15 design by Armalite was indeed an assault rifle as it was selective fire. But after Colt acquired the design and it was accepted by the military, the designation was changed to M-16 for the selective fire version and AR-15 was used for the semi-auto only.

That mention in the machine gun article is a mistake. All the other firearms on the list are capable of full auto fire....the modern AR-15 is not.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 03-13-13 at 09:39 AM. Reason: mis-spell
Old 03-13-13, 08:01 AM
Group Moderator
Vic is right - the definition of an assault rifle is that is has selective fire (both semi and fully automatic). By this definition, assault rifles have been illegal for decades. The term has negative connotations, however, so those wanting to ban guns have extrapolated its use.

Old 03-13-13, 02:26 PM
Here is another link this time from Wikia not Wikipedia that still calls this an assault rifle but also calls it a defensive weapon here is the link AR-15 - Gun Wiki . As far as I am concerned in the hands of an average person it is still a defensive weapon and in the hands of the police it could be called either a defensive or assault weapon. Hopefully more along the lines of defensive for the police instead of assault. Either way though Mark Kelly is misinformed as the average person will not use this to assault someone. Even someone who had intentions to kill someone from a distance probably would never use this as it is too bulky. What they really need to concentrate on is not so much what they classify this gun or that but whether the person possessing such gun is a criminal or is insane.

Old 03-13-13, 02:44 PM
Hedge - I think what a lot of people are missing is that the so called assault rifle is different from this rifle only in appearance.

Name:  Rifle.png
Views: 46
Size:  10.3 KB

The photo is of a Remington 742. It is a semi automatic hunting rifle. There are 10 round clips available. I used to own one in 30:06. Put an ugly ass plastic stock and forepiece and a couple of other black doo dads and you've got yourself an "assault" rifle.

The point should be why are they going after so called assault rifles when all the facts about homicides points in other directions.

Many, many more killed by hand guns
Many more killed by shotguns
Many more killed by edged weapons
More killed by clubs
More killed by hands and feet

Yet the politicians and media focus on "assault" rifles.

Old 03-13-13, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Still incorrect...I don't care what they say.

No offense hedge...but you can't take many of these sites at face value in their statements.

Although some state and federal laws try to classify weapons as assault rifles just because of certain features such as pistol grips, extended or removable magazines, flash hiders, etc....this is completely wrong. As I stated earlier...the absolute main feature that says "assault rifle" is selective fire. An older definition also requires a cartridge midway between full power rifle and pistol. That line has blurred. Machine guns are full auto or sometimes burst capable. Battle rifles are almost always full size rifle cartridges and capable of single shot/semi-auto fire only.

Correct terms for the modern AR are "police patrol rifle", "modern sporting rifle", "defensive rifle", and several other terms. AR-15s are used at the National Matches in Camp Perry OH... where they shoot at 600 yds as I remember, they are also used for varmint hunting commonly 300-400 yds.

They are not large and bulky...they are accurate, reliable, and well designed.

Sorry if I seem rude...but if you aren't informed on the actualities and correct information...then I just can't help trying to provide the facts.

I agree.....no homeowner (that I know of) has or needs an assault weapon...and except for a swat team...I don't think the police have any either.

Old 03-13-13, 03:37 PM
To me they looked bulky at least on the screen. I also don't care what they call this gun to me it doesn't matter. What really matters is proper screening and no loopholes so that at least most of the guns are accounted for. To say that all guns of any type will ever be accounted for is not an accurate statement just as saying that you can account for a whole population of people in one country it is impossible. No I don't think you are being rude all I ever want to know of guns is what I read. I am as I have stated before am not against guns I just don't need one. For those who think they do I respect their wishes.

Old 03-13-13, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Agree completely hedge....good mindset.

Old 03-13-13, 04:28 PM
Hedge - I visit WIKI often. It's a great place to get information. However, I would be very careful about using WIKI as an authoritive source since their stuff is mostly user provided.

Gun control is on the local news every night here. Quite often it is the lead story. Tonight it was about a group of women confronting Republican lawmakers because they oppose the governor's proposed gun ban. It was so painfully obvious how uninformed these women were. One of them said "why does anyone need a gun that can empty a 30 round magazine in 2 seconds". She was referring to a video clip on the news showing a state cop firing a full auto assault rifle. It was shown in a segment where the governor was pushing banning AR-15 semi auto "assault" rifles.

Old 03-13-13, 04:51 PM
Assault rifles are easily defined. To be an assault rifle, it must have automatic fire. It's a cross between a rifle and machine gun. That's the whole point of it.

The term assault weapon was made up by lawmakers to describe guns that look like assault rifles so they can ban them. They are no more or less deadly than any other semi-automatic rifle.