unable to "auto-quote" posts

Old 03-13-13, 08:54 AM
unable to "auto-quote" posts

Hello there. I know this general chat catagory of the forum is for non-forum topics, but perhaps it'll be okay to ask about it here anyway. I've tried twice asking the webmaster of the website here, but never get a reply. My issue is that I seem to not have the ability/function available to "auto-quote" (I guess you might call it ) the previous posts of others in a thread I am replying/responding/posting to. There seems to be no "quote" button when replying. I recall I used to have this ability, but then it seemed to disappear on me. You know what I mean, it's the ability to reply and select/have some or all of a particular previous post of another person that you're replying/referring to in your post "auto-quoted" in your reply, so that your other readers have a clear idea specifically of what/why you're referring to in the thread. Any comments/advice about this appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-13, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
The quote function was far more often used incorrectly/needlessly and it was a pain for us moderators to clean up this mis-use. It was decided the quote button should be removed from the forums as a result.

Should you need to quote, cut and paste works.

Old 03-13-13, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Hello there. I know this general chat catagory of the forum is for non-forum topics, but perhaps it'll be okay to ask about it here anyway. I've tried twice asking the webmaster of the website here,
Cut and paste the pertinent part you want to quote into your reply. Then highlight it and click the little quote balloon in the menu bar.

Unfortunately you will get a little "read more" blurb "Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/general-chats-discussions/490678-unable-auto-quote-posts.html#ixzz2NR9mOKYt" like this. You can either leave it or delete it.

Old 03-13-13, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
You can either leave it or delete it.
I delete it

Old 03-13-13, 09:20 AM
Cut and paste the pertinent part you want to quote into your reply. Then highlight it and click the little quote balloon in the menu bar.

Ahh. Finally! Thanks a bunch there Gunguy! If I did it right I suppose above this there should be your quoted reply.
edit: and sure enough, there it is. thanks again.

Old 03-13-13, 09:29 AM
You can either leave it or delete it. I delete it
I delete it too. And I'm just a quotin' fool now! Seriously though, I think the quote function is helpful, and this way works just fine instead of the button. I just didn't realize this method was available. I'll not over-use it, just use it when/if it seems it makes sense to do so. Thanks Mitch17 and Gunguy45

Old 03-13-13, 09:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Once you figure it out I think this method works better and goes along way to keep entire posts from being quoted on a regular basis. I also delete the 'read more' part - wish we could delete it permanently

Old 03-13-13, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
You might want to read up on BB codes also. That is how quotes and other things are implemented. While not all are recognized by the forum software I've use some I don't even think are in the edit interface though they are listed in the Forum FAQs. Might be wrong on them not being in the interface. Never looked for some of them. I just use them.

I use my mouse (trackball actually-hate mice) to highlight the "read more" line, then just hit the delete button. (I'm guessing that will work the same on Windows.)

Old 03-13-13, 09:45 AM
Yeah marksr, I agree this method, instead of having a quote button, makes better sense in that respect. Glad it's available.

Old 03-13-13, 09:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
highlight the "read more" line, then just hit the delete
Ya, that's how I do it..... just be nicer if we didn't have to, maybe I'm spoiled

Old 03-13-13, 09:49 AM
You might want to read up on BB codes also.
Dumb question time: What are BB codes and where do I read up on them?

Old 03-13-13, 10:21 AM
BB stands for Bulletin Board, the forerunner to the Internet forums. If you want to learn more at the bottom of every forum page is a list of Posting Permissions. Click on the BB code link.

Old 03-13-13, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
just be nicer if we didn't have to, maybe I'm spoiled
But it was added so people quoting from our forums at other sites would automatically give proper attribution.

Old 03-13-13, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, it's a marketing thing - just like the quote button is not coming back, this tag is not going away.

Old 03-13-13, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
BB stands for Bulletin Board,
Wow, it's good to know about these things. Thanks Furd, and Ray.

Old 03-13-13, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
But it was added so people quoting from our forums at other sites would automatically give proper attribution.
Learned something new today not that I'd know how to quote from one site to another, didn't know what BB was either

Old 03-13-13, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
If you have ever written basic HTML in a text editor a lot of the BB codes will be familiar. Often you just substitute brackets for lesser than and greater than symbols.

Old 03-13-13, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
it was added so people quoting from our forums at other sites would automatically give proper attribution
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
not that I'd know how to quote from one site to another,
marksr, if you copy and paste anything from the forum here to another site/forum, the proper attribution blurb will automatically appear with it

Old 03-13-13, 04:28 PM
Another thing I just noticed: if I click on the double-arrow blue button within the quote bubble (two quote bubbles in my previous post here) I just get "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator". So I don't know what's up with that.