Old 03-13-13, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
Important Phone Usage Info

Image source: Retronaut.com
Curated by Chris Wild

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-13, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
No mention of how to react when you pick up the phone and someone is already on because you have a party line or how to contact the phone company when you have an issue with your rented phones.

Old 03-13-13, 02:36 PM
That sure goes back a long way I sure am glad they invented the touch tone phone. I used to hate those dial phones as you never could get your party real fast with them. This is interesting though I guess they thought people were not too bright back in those days.

Old 03-13-13, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Speaking of dial phone memories

"Back in the day" was any one else other than myself aware of the ability to get free pay phone calling by using the hang-up cradle to Morse code a phone number.

The coin mechanism when coins were inserted would only disconnect the dialer from the line.
If you picked up the receiver (thing attached to a cord ) and tap the rest or button quickly using a sequence matching the phone number the phone would connect.
IOW 958-****....would be 9 short, 5 short, 8 short and so on.
Done quickly it would work every time.

Didn't have to waste an allowance on phone calls.

Old 03-13-13, 03:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
now you tell me ...... would have been nice to know years ago, not that I ever spent many dimes at a pay phone. Do they even have pay phones anymore?

Except for business, I've never cared much about having/using a phone. Our grandson [like most kids] has a cell phone and as soon as he gets out of school he's digging it out, turning it on and starts calling or texting. That's another thing, while I don't mind getting a text, there ain't no way I'm going to send one. I don't see how anyone can type on a cell phone - it would take me all day just to send one text

Old 03-13-13, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
Ahhhhh.......the good old days

Greg :NO NO NO: You were a bad bad boy

Old 03-14-13, 05:26 AM
"Back in the day" was any one else other than myself aware of the ability to get free pay phone calling by using the hang-up cradle to Morse code a phone number.

The coin mechanism when coins were inserted would only disconnect the dialer from the line.
If you picked up the receiver (thing attached to a cord ) and tap the rest or button quickly using a sequence matching the phone number the phone would connect.
IOW 958-****....would be 9 short, 5 short, 8 short and so on.
Done quickly it would work every time.

Didn't have to waste an allowance on phone calls.
Now I wish I had a pay phone to try this on.

Old 03-14-13, 07:33 AM
Group Moderator
Justin, that worked for pulse dialing. Modern phones are touch tone. However when touch tone was new there were a few phone phreakers with perfect pitch that could whistle free calls almost anywhere.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-14-13 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Correct spelling.
Old 03-14-13, 09:01 AM
Ray, that would be phone phreaks, freak spelled with ph. Many of them were blind as well. Those that didn't have perfect pitch would use a dual-tone generator that was about the size of a pack of ciggies.

Oh, the telephone companies caught on to the pulsing of the hook switch really fast and changed the coin telephones so that you HAD to drop the coin to get the dial tone. I had a friend that became quite proficient in dropping a nickel and banging his fist against the side of the phone at the same time. The vibration would cause the coin to drop to the return chute and also give him the dial tone.

Old 03-14-13, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Ya, if my childhood scam were still possible to perform I would not have publicized it!

Another thing relating to generating tones was when answering machines first came out pulse dialing was still in use.
An accessory was available from Radio Shack that if you had to retrieve messages using a phone set up for pulse it would generate tones necessary to activate the answering machine.

Old 03-14-13, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Old 03-14-13, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I remember when the touch tone phones first came out. The area I lived in wasn't touch tone compatible so when you punched the numbers in you still heard the click click click. If it was faster, it was marginally so.

Old 03-14-13, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
Touchtone was a rip off for Bell here. Till I abandoned POTS 3 years ago they were still charging me extra for Touchtone though there probably wasn't a single Stromberg-Carleson rotary switch in any of their frame rooms.

Old 03-16-13, 06:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you remember your phone number when you were a child??? I remember numbers. Mine was 3784. Then as Atlanta grew it became 7-3784. More growth the exchanges were added GLendale 7-3784. Fast forward to area codes. Here recently more area codes in populated areas, and as cell phone use proliferates.

Old 03-16-13, 07:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't remember my parents phone number when I was a kid but it started with GlenDale...... and it was a party line. Kids today would probably think a party line was a connection to find out where the party is

Old 03-16-13, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
And remember making long distance calls? No direct dialing. You called the operator and told her the city and number then hung up and waited for her to call you back when the connection was made.

Old 03-16-13, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
This was our exact house phone for 30 years. My father would not pay extra for touch tone. Ours was red.

Im trying to find the old sound the phone made when it was off the hook. It was a sound like the operator 9Recording) saying "wahhhh, wahhh, wahhh, wahhh.....Not like todays sound.

Old 03-16-13, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
So did you have a red kitchen ?

We had the same exact phone in avocado and the appliances matched

Old 03-16-13, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
About party lines...we had one shared with one other household for a few years in the early 70's. Kind of a pain as sometimes the other party would be on for over an hour. Funniest thing was when my Mom got a call in the middle of the day one time. After her hello, the caller asked "Is he home? Can I come over?"...startled she just said "Well, he's at work.", talking about my Dad, knowing it wasn't for me since I was in school as were all my friends. Caller replied something like "Great, so we have all afternoon...see you in a few minutes". That's when she caught on.....lol.

Somehow they knew who the other party was, probably due to mistaken calls before, or maybe from information from the phone company?

Less than a year later they heard the other party had gotten divorced. This was rural farm country in OH so everyone at least knew someone who knew everyone else.

Old 03-16-13, 10:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I used to have an old rotary phone hanging on the wall in my shop but about 10 yrs or so ago the phone company had to replace their line coming up the hill. For whatever reason that phone caused interference and the other phones wouldn't work until I unplugged it..... so I had to get with the program and get a cordless phone for my shop

Old 03-18-13, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Finally a cellphone for people like me.

Old 03-18-13, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
I didn't know you were an actor in your spare time