Let the Madness begin!

Old 03-19-13, 04:23 AM
Group Moderator
Let the Madness begin!

All you hoops fans have your brackets finished? I have several versions (posting on CBSSports Fantasy section) with different results, but I think the most likely champion will be Louisville (beating Miami in the final).

I see a lot of room for upsets in the seedings. Also a lot of parity overall.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-13, 05:34 AM
I'm still working on my brackets. Kinda' bummed because this year my team (UConn) isn't dancing.

Old 03-19-13, 08:41 AM
Group Moderator
Wow, didn't realize that until you said it; they're one of those teams with a laminated ticket to the dance.

Old 03-19-13, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Well....it's still a little early, but Pittsburgh and Chicago in the final would be my guess....

Oh....you said hoops...is that some sort of dance contest?

Old 03-19-13, 09:47 AM
They were 20-10 and probably would have made the tournament but their HOF coach got caught with his hand in the recruiting cookie jar. NCAA verdict - loss of tournament play. Calhoun opted to retire.

Old 03-21-13, 03:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Never understood "tournaments" and "finals" in basketball. Season never really ends, does it?? Think about it. Baseball has 162 games, then it's over except for the world serious. Basketball is eternal.

Old 03-21-13, 04:57 AM
Group Moderator
Let's see....Georgia Tech was 16-15 (6-12 ACC conference) and Georgia was 15-17 (9-9 SEC conference). Hmmmmm........

I don't know, baseball season starts in February and runs as late as end of November; 162 games plus All-Star plus Spring training. Over 8 months total. Of course for some teams, the season is already over. College hoops runs roughly from November to late March - about 5 months; shorter than the MLB regular season. Also there are 30 MLB teams in six Divisions; pretty easy to work out who gets to the Big Dance (aka World Series). Division 1 NCAA, on the other hand has 346 teams in 32 conferences plus 4 independent schools. Pretty tough to determine who's the best without a rather lengthy playoff process which is actually pretty efficient - 20 days start to finish - same as MLB playoffs. Plus it's win 6 in a row or go home for the eventual Champion unlike baseball where you can lose the first three games of the World Series and still end up as Champion. Oh and, of course, the college basketball season and playoffs have never been cancelled. And unlike college football, you don't get to the big games based solely on your ranking in polls; you have to play the best of the best to get there.

Now if you want to talk about endless seasons, let's talk about NHL & NBA (neither of which I follow).

I have to try to remember that basketball hasn't caught on yet in places like Arizona.

Old 03-21-13, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
I have to try to remember that basketball hasn't caught on yet in places like Arizona.
That's cause the AZ teams keep misunderstanding the term "shooting the ball". Basketballs aren't cheap ya know.

Old 03-22-13, 04:26 AM
Group Moderator
Everybody picked Harvard over NM on their brackets, right?

Good one, Vic.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 03-22-13 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-22-13, 07:48 AM
What a bracket buster! I wish I had DVRd the game. I think I heard that Harvard women were the only 16 to ever win a first round years ago. I haven't had time to check that out yet.