A wake up call?

Old 03-26-13, 08:12 AM
A wake up call?

I had a state cop come to my door yesterday. My neighbor had been burglarized in broad daylight and he was looking for witnesses.

I have lived in hte same place for 30 years. I have but two neighbors. The only time we lock our doors is when we're going on a trip. Otherwise we never lock the house or the garage/workshop. Time for a change

For as long as I've lived here I have never felt the need to have a gun for protection. Now the M1911 is out of its locked case and is in my nightstand. It hasn't been fired in years so I'm off to the range today.

It really sucks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-13, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
It's a sign of the times Safe neighborhoods are rapidly dwindling.

Old 03-26-13, 09:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our neighborhood was real nice when I bought my place in '91, now half the neighbors are good honest folk and the other half drug users or sellers. Fortunately 16 acres and the rise in elevation insulates me from most of it.

Old 03-26-13, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
I dont know Wayne....Should we not all heed the advice of our second in command???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3mVgYGls5M

Old 03-26-13, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
Did you miss this story, Mike?:

Homeowner Takes Biden's Shotgun Advice, Gets Arrested

Old 03-26-13, 10:05 AM
Mike - My only other gun is a 12 ga side by side. I prefer the .45. It's easier to handle, I know I can hit what I aim at and it's got more rounds.

I know I'll never use it. I'm mostly pissed by the thought that the dirtbags are winning. We have a developement about a half mile away. Most of the homes are ranches built in the 50s and bought new by young couples. Now it's just like Mark described. Some older people are left and the rest are a whole bunch of low rent dirtbags. A couple of weeks ago I saw a sex offender map for our town. We have 5 in town and 3 of them live in this neighborhood.

Old 03-26-13, 10:42 AM
Years ago in NJ I came home and found a rear garage window broken and back door wide open. I got to my Ruger and searched, and the house was clear. The most important thing I lost was my sense of security and although I'm now back in Maine, it hasn't returned. I just completed a police report for my 16' al extension ladder I was using at my daughter's home. They had to search to find it, but it was outside. Tough to find a quieter, nicer neighborhood than this, and it still isn't safe.

Bud

Old 03-26-13, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Growing up in farm country in OH...it was common to leave doors unlocked and keys in vehicles. You never knew when a neighbor might need to use your truck or tractor in an emergency. Even then everyone we knew kept a loaded .22 rifle or similar near the door.....more for varmints or injured animals than for defense.

That changed when a few farms were sold off and people started building on 3-5 acre lots. Most were nice folks...but they hadn't lived there for generations and it just changed the vibe for most local people.

Old 03-26-13, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I know it's coming, but was hoping it would stay away until I leave for better quarters. House is unlolcked, keys for truck are in the overhead tray, shop is unlocked, jobsite trailer may be unlocked, don't know. Barn has no locks, ZTR has key in roof rafter right over it. Ford 640 uses a toggle switch (no key). Rental cabin stays unlocked, with keys for tenants on dining room table.

Crap, that's a lot to remember to start locking up, but I guess I need to start. I do have high ground advantage, like Mark, though. Control the high ground and you control the skirmish.

Old 03-26-13, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Hey Larry just get a couple of boerboels. Beautiful IMO....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SXHQCxwuXQ

Old 03-26-13, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
Hmmm...and Larry lives where? Oh wait...there it is......heh heh heh.

Old 03-26-13, 04:43 PM
Hey, Mike, I have a shepherd mix from the pound. Not as heavy as those, but similar in stature. Very protective of our property. Couldn't care less about people on the next road over. But turn a bit of gravel on our road, and he's up and gone. Stays in back yard all the time even with the gate open. Only leaves yard to chase the bear or investigate people lost on our driveway (only reason for them to be there).

Vic, yeah, c'mon down!! Remember, high ground advantage.

Old 03-26-13, 11:44 PM
I agree with those who want to have a gun in the house it can provide extra protection as can a dog. My friend who lives in Beltsville an unincorporated area just up the road has both a dog and a gun and isn't afraid to use either. Sometimes he is out of the house as he travels a great deal as he used to be in the telephone union but has long since been retired. Anyway now he has cameras outside so he can catch a thief. People think twice now when they see they might be on camera and todays cameras can now be connected to the internet so the feed can be recorded elsewhere. Gone are the days when a crook could just steal the video tape from the scene of the crime. I might buy some myself some time and have them mounted outside they are easier to install now with wireless technology.

Old 03-27-13, 02:30 AM
Richard, unless technology has changed a lot, remember bank cameras?? We have cameras on satellites in space that can take a clear picture of a nickel on manhole cover in downtown Manhattan, but bank cameras are so fuzzy a mother wouldn't recognize the picture.

Old 03-27-13, 03:18 AM
You know, I can't get over how poor store security cameras are. The technology has gotten so inexpensive, yet there are plenty of systems out there that aren't taking video and the resolution is so poor, you can't really make out the person's face.

Old 03-27-13, 03:39 AM
It's true Larry and drooplug that some cameras are kind of bad but remember a few years ago how they caught a UPS and a FEDEX driver just throwing packages into peoples yards? The video was good enough to catch them and has caught some suspects stealing mail. After all you can't be home all of the time can you? Also a few years ago a person hired someone to take care of their elderly parent while they went to work. The care taker was beating that persons parent and the video was very clear so clear the person was prosecuted so they do work if you get good quality cameras.

Old 03-27-13, 03:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator

Hmmm...and Larry lives where? Oh wait...there it is......heh heh heh
The same thought went thru my mind

Old 03-27-13, 12:02 PM
I'm lucky to live in a community that is riddled with police officers and is very out-of-the-way of criminal's normal stomping grounds. There are two officers that live on my street alone, with even more throughout the development.

Never say never, eh?

Old 03-27-13, 04:29 PM
Even the ones who live in your neighborhood can't move at 1750 fps. Deterrent, maybe. Safer, questionable.

Old 03-27-13, 07:17 PM
Well, I went to the range today to burn some .45 ammo. It's the first time I've shot in quite a few years.

I left scratching my head trying to figure out how my pistol gained 20 lbs over the years. I also have a mild case of recoil wrist that will probably worsen by morning.

I killed some paper though.

Old 03-27-13, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
I killed some paper though.
I love it.... You cant buy that.... Ha,ha...

Old 03-28-13, 04:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
my pistol gained 20 lbs over the years.
I heard that I have a friend who claims he's stronger than he was when he first got married. Back then it took him multiple trips to bring in $20 worth of groceries, now he can do it with one hand

Search this Thread