Another pit bull victim

Old 03-29-13, 09:17 AM
Another pit bull victim

Toddler killed by family dogs. LINK

I could have linked the story about the 10 y/o Wisconsin boy that had his nose bitten off and his face mauled by a pit bull but he survived.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-13, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
Old 03-29-13, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
The real problem is with the owners, not the Pit bull breed. When a dog is treated badly or trained to be viscous, any dog can lash out at an easy target.
It's unfortunate that this breed gets a bad rap because of this.

I have a personal issue with this Wayne, so I'd appreciate if you would quit bringing it up!

Old 03-29-13, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, a pit bull can be a gentle and loving pet and a chihuahua can be a mean, vicious beast but which one has the potential to inflict more damage if they go bad?

As a written rule, there are no pit bulls, rottweilers, doberman pinschers or german shephards allowed in our units.

Old 03-29-13, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
How ironic is this.... I just today managed to get video of my neighbors dog. Its a puppy pitbull that has grown some and is now a fence jumper.

Now I fear for my children playing in my yard. As well as my chickens.

I called the township PD to inquire about the ordinance. He needs a higher fence or chain the dog at all times I was told.

This video was taken less then an hour ago.... Thats the dog climbing back into his fenced in backyard....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q99YI6VTytc&feature=youtu.be

Old 03-29-13, 01:57 PM
I agree unfortunately pit bull dogs have been shown to be very aggressive. So much so that some letter carriers and package delivery people refuse to deliver anything to their home as is their right to do so. Not long ago in the District of Columbia a man who I call a hero was charged for discharging his gun and killing two pit bulls who were attacking a small child. Luckily the child lived and if not for that man coming along with his hand gun the child would have died. The police though would have done the same thing if they saw an attack like that as most of the time they are shot immediately.

Some people who are experts and know a great deal about pit bulls say that most of them come from an aggressive breed meaning that from the time they are born they are ready to kill. True not all pit bulls are aggressive some are bred properly but the problem is which ones. Sorry I don't need that kind of trouble and would never have a pit bull in my house.

Old 03-29-13, 02:31 PM
I too have a personal issue. In 1975 my daughter and I were attacked by a pit bull as we walked to the local grocery. Actually, it was my daughter that was the beast targeted. It broke it's restraint and knocked down a fence to get at her. Had it not gotten it's leg tangled in the fence wire I'm sure
she would have been seriously injured. At the time I did not even know what a pit bull was.

I don't know what your issue is, but mine is to inform people of this dangerous breed at every opportunity. They are not dangerous because of how they are treated. That's the excuse of pit bull apologists. They are dangerous because it is their instinct, physical makeup and unpredictability. Like a beagle chases rabbits and a lab fetches ducks, pit bulls have a trigger and when they go off their instinct is kill.

Look at the statistics compared to other breeds. Unfortunately we usually only see the fatalities. What we seldom see is the injury and maiming and on an even larger scale the killing of other people's pets. Visit a pound. It seems like half the animals there are pit bulls. Ever wonder why?

Old 03-29-13, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Visit a pound. It seems like half the animals there are pit bulls. Ever wonder why?
Dog fighting rings, busted drug dealers that have them to protect their drugs, illegal breeders, breeding for dog fighting, dogs that have gotten out of yards because they're tired of being locked up and neglected.
A nice bunch of people own these dogs and it's no wonder they do what they do.
I blame the people that shouldn't have dogs to begin with. It's not the dog's fault they're being overbred for evil purposes.

You know, in all the posts here lately about guns, one thing everyone agrees on is, it's not the guns that kill people, it's the people using them.
I think the same thing kind of applies here. If people are breeding and training them to be mean, then it's the owners fault. Blame them.

Old 03-29-13, 05:07 PM
I think it is a chicke/egg thing. You believe the breed reacts the way it does because it is mistreated and used as fighting dogs. I believe the breed is mistreated and used as fighting dogs because of the inherent violent nature of the dog. The state of MD has declared the breed "inherently dangerous" and Ohio has labeled it "legally viscous."

The gun comparison doesn't even equate to apples and oranges. I can load a gun and put it on my nightstand where it can stay for a thousand years and it will never injure anyone. You can't say that about a pit bull. I know of no study linking mistreatment or training with behavior although I would expect that those factors could certainly affect behavior.

I read the WIKI article on fatal dogbites. So far this year 7 people have been killed by dogs. All were pit bulls or pit bull mixes. Their ages:

14 months - killed by the babysitter's dog
21 months - killed by 7 family dogs. A ***** and her 6 pit bull mix litter. Interestingly a setter and beagle also in the yard did not participate.
2 y/o Killed by neighbors dog
4 y/o killed by neighbors dog
7 y/o killed while visiting friends
65 y/o killed while visiting friends
91 y/o killed by her own dogs.

Dog fatalities 2012 22 of 33 were pit bulls
2011 21 of 30 were pit bulls

Old 03-29-13, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah the PD told me talk to the owner and call back on Tuesday to get the specific ordinance.

This is one section of the ordinance. Its hard to follow because there is so many subsections.

57-12. Vicious or potentially dangerous dogs.
The owner or other person having custody and control of a dog which has been declared to be vicious or potentially dangerous by the Municipal Court of the Township of Howell or another court of competent jurisdiction of the State of New Jersey, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 4:19-17 et seq., shall comply with the provisions of any order entered by the Court pursuant to N.J.S.A. 4:19-24.

Additionally the potentially dangerous dog is one that has bitten someone per NJSA 4 19 24. Silly right? With that said if a dog falls into that category then insurance must be taken out on the dog as well as special tags.

But I see nothing about the rule for a dog jumping a fence. Just these two ordinances. Don't know where I stand.

57-7. Regulations.
A. Running at large. No person owning, keeping or harboring any dog shall suffer or permit it to run at large upon the public streets or any public park or any public building or any other public place within the Township unaccompanied by its owner or his, her or its representative. Any dog found running at large shall be deemed to be doing so with the permission of the owner, keeper or harborer and such person shall be guilty of a violation of this subsection

Nuisance restrictions. No person shall own, keep, harbor or permit any dog to annoy neighbors or other persons living within the immediate vicinity of the Township by loud, frequent or habitual continuous barking, howling, or yelping for a period of more than 20 continuous minutes between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. or for a period of more than 15 continuous minutes between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. "Continuous" is defined as uninterrupted, unbroken, not intermittent or occasional, so persistently repeated at short intervals as to constitute virtually an unbroken series. No dog owner shall permit his dog to trespass upon the property of any other persons in the Township nor suffer or permit his dog to damage shrubbery, flowers, gardens or any other property of any kind or character belonging to any neighbor or other person in the Township.

F. Leashing dogs. No person owning, keeping or harboring any dog shall permit it to be upon the public streets or in any public places of the Township unless such dog is accompanied by a person capable of controlling such animal and it is securely confined and controlled by an adequate leash of not more than six feet long.

Old 03-29-13, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
I found this in the NJ code not the township. I think I have a good case here. I am not afraid of dogs myself but my young kids are somewhat because these dogs bark and snarl at the fence whenever they are in the yard playing.

Possibly I should start a new thread.

Anyone got any ideas? Am I being to worried? I know there are dog lovers out there and I am not trying to be a bad neighbor, just want my family safe....

4:19-23. Dog declared potentially dangerous; conditions 7. a. The municipal court shall declare a dog to be potentially dangerous if it finds by clear and convincing evidence that the dog:

(1) caused bodily injury as defined in N.J.S.2C:11-1(a) to a person during an unprovoked attack, and poses a serious threat of bodily injury or death to a person, or

(2) killed another domestic animal, and

(a) poses a threat of serious bodily injury or death to a person; or

(b) poses a threat of death to another domestic animal, or

(3) has been trained, tormented, badgered, baited or encouraged to engage in unprovoked attacks upon persons or domestic animals.

b. A dog shall not be declared potentially dangerous for:

(1) causing bodily injury as defined in N.J.S.2C:11-1(a) to a person if the dog was provoked, or

(2) killing a domestic animal if the domestic animal was the aggressor.

Old 03-29-13, 07:15 PM
Mike, you need to call animal control. I don't think the cops are going to be the best path here. This might be the most helpful for you: Howell Township, NJ - Official Website - Reporting Animal Issues

All dog breeds are known to snip at or attack people/children unexpectedly. The problem with pit bulls is that they are very strong and very focused in their attacks. So the results are more often than not, horrific. That's the problem with pit bulls. It doesn't matter how they are raised. When they get out of line, they can be a major problem to control. Chihuahuas are nasty little dogs, but their bites cause very little damage. So they are not a danger to society the way pit bulls are.

Old 03-29-13, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks droo I did not see that on line reporting.

Old 03-29-13, 10:33 PM
I would like to add two other jurisdictions in our area that think pit bulls are dangerous and that is the District Of Columbia and Virginia. Many states as a matter of fact think pit bulls are very dangerous and usually require special licensing.

Mike your area sounds a great deal like my area only the state of Maryland I think has a little bit better definition of dangerous dogs. Still though from what I read you have a good case for getting a dangerous dog removed. Your video says it all about your neighbors dog, they probably will not like you much after you contact the animal warden but I say who cares. The safety of your children is more important than a few hurt feelings.

That dog could very easily get out of that yard and that makes it a very dangerous situation as you never know what it might do. Maybe it is one of the pit bulls that was bred right and isn't violent seeing the fence as a game but nobody knows for sure. I know my city would force them to build a better fence and keep the dog in the back yard. They do that for all dogs even a collie someone once owned here that used to jump the fence.

Old 03-30-13, 05:58 AM
Thanks droo I did not see that on line reporting.
Did the cop at least fill out a police report?

The cop is the one that should have spoken to the owner, not you. I don't know how well you know the people, but you may want to send them a letter with a copy of the video so they are on notice. Get a return receipt and all that.

Old 03-30-13, 06:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mike, in nearly all instances, cops usually are the ones who mop up the blood. They are "responders", not proactive forces for the most part. I agree, that animal control is better equipped to handle the situation.

This is not meant to offend any first responders or police, so don't get upset with the facts.

Old 03-30-13, 06:38 AM
Well, cops don't like to deal with small time stuff. They would rather be out there grabbing criminals. That's why towns and cities that want local codes enforced will have a code enforcement officer to write those tickets.

Old 03-30-13, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
We had a man killed in my town last year. The owner swore that his dog was locked up while he was away but the DNA testing from the state lab confirmed that the dog killed an innocent man coming to check on the neighbors house while they were away. It is a serious problem and a major reason I am always wearing a gun. Unfortunately a certain demographic loves to own pit bull and Rottweilers. Most do not receive the love and care of a family but are chained up somewhere and occasionally walked on the end of heavy chain.

Old 04-03-13, 05:18 PM
Old 04-18-13, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
OK not to hijack This thread. I had an incident today and fear for my family's safety. Because my neighbor is a officer next town over apparently he is getting special treatment.

His pit bull is a fence climber and came into the yard today and go one of my chickens. What if it was my son???? I am appalled.

This is a pit bull that climbs the fence in my yard. It seems I have no rights? I am calling animal control tomorrow since the PD did nothing.....

I guess I should have shot the dog but I am sure I would be in jail as we speak..... I thought about bashing its head in with a bat I have in the yard... Uggg. Again cant go to jail,,,,,

Again what if my child. I guess the local PD dont think a chicken is worth anything....

See my vid in previous post.

I spoke with him ( The owner of dog) and they just laughed. Well over the fence today the dog went and this happened....Uggg and I was in the house.

GRAPHIC PICS OF MY CHICKEN.

She is good but my wife is with out words and has been crying for hours. Open wound bad gash teeth bites. We are doing peroxide and I will sew up tomorrow when I get my sewing kit...... ( Wife works in medical)

Name:  Picture 010.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  21.0 KB

Name:  Picture 011.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  17.4 KB

Name:  Picture 012.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  16.9 KB

Additionally they had a plan. Keep the dog on a leash... Ha, ha... Here is the dog on my property on a lease I got yesterday........( They had long leash).

It got over and had 5 ft to run around...... OMG... Are you kidding me?????

Sorry blurry but I panicked.

Name:  Picture 008.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  28.7 KB

Name:  Picture 009.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  30.9 KB

I am a bit distraught right now... Sorry.... OMG what if my son was out there!!!!!!!!!!! Its one bite too many.....

Last edited by lawrosa; 04-18-13 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-18-13, 08:38 PM
You were correct in not dispatching the dog. Only if he is directly threatening someone and use of a gun may still be an issue. But, before that becomes necessary you should talk to a lawyer, Your wife has suffered emotional distress and you as well. They may laugh at the chicken, but when faced with a lawyer and a $250,000 law suit, and possible job problems, the police will take action.

I could suggest my approach, but it should be your lawyer who directs the course of action. Prepare all information you have, dates and times and conversations and have several books prepared. Hopefully you will have your own pit bull (the lawyer) that can properly explain this problem to all of them. I would ask about getting his police chief involved as that town might not appreciate the bad reputation.

A good friend of mine was a police officer in Point Pleasant and the police are tight, up to a point. When one embarrasses their profession they may not receive the support you are currently seeing.

But here's the problem. Do you want to live next door to this guy for the rest of your life, win or lose? That point needs to be made and considered in the emotional distress context.

Good luck,
Bud

Old 04-18-13, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
Yes bud, I am looking at my legal options now. I will know more when animal control comes out tomorrow.

The fact that he is a officer makes me worried but I feel the system should work regardless who you are...

Is anyone above the law?

Old 04-19-13, 08:10 AM
Mike - Bud is absolutely right. You need to get this attack memorialized. The best way to do that is by a police/animal control report.

The next thing you need to do is talk to an attorney to find out exactly what your options are in your town. A letter from an attorney to the owner will also put him on notice. You do not have to live in fear for your family just because your neighbor chooses to own one of these killers.

I can tell you that there I live the dog would be as dead as the chicken. "Gee officer, the dog was killing my chickens. When I tried to protect them it attacked me and I was forced to defend myself"

BTW - Be sure to send your neighbor the bill for the cost of the chicken. It's too bad this isn't Spain, there you could sue for loss of future egg production.

Old 04-19-13, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
I certainly would file reports with the police/Sheriff's office and animal control (Though our county just changed it's name to animal services. Even we're getting politically correct here in the boonies.) It is good to establish a record of contacting the authorities and made them as well as the owner of the dog aware of a dangerous animal. You are doing everything legally possible. I would even consider notifying your neighbor of their dangerous dog via certified letter. They will have zero defense then if anything bad does happen. But foremost this needs to be addressed aggressively before you, your wife or anyone gets hurt.

Old 04-19-13, 09:31 AM
I have a scar on my inner thigh as a reminder of when I was attacked by a pit bull about 4 years ago. The owner is a family friend and a nice young man (eagle scout, etc) and has owned the dog since a pup. They were with my daughter on my property clearing a spot on a frozen pond for an ice rink when I walked out onto the ice. I was at least 70 yards away when I stepped onto the ice & the dog charged me. He stopped short & I thought he was just trying to intimidate me, then he circled around behind & came in fast & "bumped" me between the cheeks. It took a couple seconds to realize I had been bitten. With that one quick nudge he ripped my jeans open & got BOTH my thighs & left 2 large black bruises. Again--MY property, long ways off, friendly approach. If ever there was the definition of "unprovoked", this is it.

There are a lot of pit bull apologists out there but no way I'm ever buying into the "there are no bad dogs, only bad owners" line of BS. It's simply not true. These animals are born with instincts and there's NO way to know if it will ever attack. I realize the same can be said of a chihuahua but a pit bull's bite is worse than its bark.

Old 04-19-13, 01:14 PM
Mike, nice job with getting pics of the dog in your yard. In addition to to contacting animal control, keep getting good evidence like that. Maybe some better surveillance equip is in order. I'm sure you could set something up for a few hundred. I know it might not be money you want to spend, but this will go a long way in protecting the family. It will be hard for a cop to beat a mountain of evidence. The animal control people aren't going to be cops so they are unlikely to give special treatment, in my opinion. Just stay cool and don't do anything rash. Keep things professional. In the end, you may need to install a giant fence with buried mesh to keep that animal out of your yard if the authorities can't resolve your issue for you.

Unfortunately, pit bull owners are some of the most obnoxious and self centered people to walk this earth. They never take responsibility for their dog's behavior.

Old 04-19-13, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Droo...

Actually...in my area (and the past few I've lived) Animal Control is either a part of the city police or the county sheriff. They aren't LEOs but they work pretty closely with them.

Mike....maybe a few strands of barbed wire could be put over that section of fence?

Old 04-19-13, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Unfortunately, pit bull owners are some of the most obnoxious and self centered people to walk this earth. They never take responsibility for their dog's behavior.
I know a few people that own Pit bulls or Pit bull mixes, and they're some of the nicest people I know. I don't think their dogs know they're pit bulls either.

Old 04-19-13, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Well it all seems kind of hopeless. Animal control was here and told him he needs to fence the dog in with a higher fence.

In the meantime he needs to get a cable and not a regular leash. Needs to cement a rod in the ground to tether him to.

I also told the control guy that he has not picked any dog dropping up in the 8 years he lived there and his kids pick up and roll around in the poop. He said something to him and he is cleaning his yard as we speak. ( Control guy said I can call the health department.)

His excuse was he is a cop and works nights.

Then my neighbor talked to me when the control guy was here and got all nasty and belittling. Told me he dont feel sorry for me but feels sorry for my wife....LOL. basically I think he was calling me a A55 - h*le... He then said I could call anyone I want. He is not moving and the dogs are staying period.

And if he is forced to put up a higher fence he is going to paint it bright pink so I have to look at it all the time...

What a idiot.....

I told control chaining the dog is not fool proof. His 5 year old or 8 year old can open the door and let the dog out by accident. The only fool proof way is a higher fence period IMO.

It went on and on.... Im kind of depressed right now and feel I have no rights....

I am kicking myself now because

A) I should of let the dog bite me when I was fending him off. The dog would not be here and would have been impounded.

b) I should have terminated the dog when it was in my yard and claim fear for my life and familys saftey.

In conclusion...It seems a dog that can climb a fence and kill a chicken really means nothing here in NJ. They dont consider chickens as a domestic animal I assume from what I read...

OK I am going to get drunk now.

Old 04-19-13, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
My 2nd Ex had a female pit she had raised since a puppy. The dog loved to climb in your lap on the couch and lick you while you scratched her (at 80 lbs or so..that wasn't pleasant)...but was also one of the scariest pets I could imagine having. She showed me when we first started dating.....she said "Raise your voice to me, tense up, and raise your hand". The dog froze at the raised voice and growled when I got tense. Ex said..."Don't raise your hand".

This was an untrained (fighting wise) dog that had been with her and her family for 4-5 yrs.

Any dog will become a vicious hunting animal w/o human contact with time...but pits have it ingrained just below the surface...IMO. They are very territorial and protective of their "pack". If their owner comes up and hugs you (for instance) they say..."Ok...he can stay'. Off a leash or on their own they can be a serious threat. I wouldn't own one.

Yes, more dog bites and attacks are from other breeds...mostly because they are more prevalent and people "trust" them.

Old 04-19-13, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Mike...who/what were you going to sew up? I thought the chicken was just wounded?

And you are right....personally, I would have shot it. But then...if you would have had to go retrieve the weapon...that wouldn't work.

As to the fence thing...I KNOW there have to be rules about that. Most times the nicer side has to face the neighbors.

Old 04-19-13, 03:07 PM
This guy is a typical pit bull owner. They just don't get it. Talk to a lawyer. And then report the SOB cop's behavior, through your lawyer to his chain of command. I know that it's an expense you probably don't need, but you have to protect your family, including your chickens. Ask the lawyer to simply write a letter explaining the guy's liability if he is negligent in controlling his dog. If you have another confrontation with this guy, make sure you have your phone in your pocket to record his abuse.

When my daughter was attacked the owner's excuse was that my kid must have walked too close to the fence. I share Droops opinion of pit bull owners but I would also add pit bull apologists. They are all sweet, loving dogs - until they go off and eat somebody's kid.

Old 04-19-13, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Mike...who/what were you going to sew up? I thought the chicken was just wounded?
I am going to sew the 4 holes up in my chickens back. Deep teeth bites. She laid a broken egg today. All in one piece more or less but with a big bite mark in the egg. Where ever the chicken develops the egg must be high inside the chicken. Since the egg was cracked and had a tooth mark

Oh wait here is is?

Name:  Picture.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  21.2 KB

Oh yess egg in the ovaarys/oviduct so that was a deep and strong jawed bite. At least missed the spine some.

I dont think she will lay anymore eggs....Shes eating and drinking and I have here in a travel crate. Otherwise the other chicken will go cannibalistic and peck her to death....

Old 04-19-13, 03:45 PM
Does animal control make a report? If so, get a copy for your records. At least now the owner is on notice. So the first time someone gets hurt, they will be found negligent.\

Really? Is a pink fence going to bother you?

Get as much recorded as you can. Make sure animal control knows if he isn't complying with their orders. Provide that evidence too. It's the only way.

What town does this guy work for?

By the way, the meter maids in NYC are now part of the NYPD, but they aren't officers. The cops hate their guts.

Old 04-19-13, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately you have a law officer pit bull owner next door. He will probably get every leeway from all agencies involved while you are just the crazy neighbor. A most difficult situation. Be very law abiding and civilized when dealing with your neighbor as he is an officer of the law and wears a gun.

Old 04-19-13, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks for your PM dane.... I appreciate it.... Dont need much and thanks for the offer.

I am going to bide my time. I know that dog will jump the fence again. I will do things different next time......

Does animal control make a report? If so, get a copy for your records.
He said its tucked away... Only the courts could get it if it goes further. Kind of all verbal...

Really? Is a pink fence going to bother you?
Not at all... As long as he prevents his dog from coming in my yard. Blue, red, pink, rainbow....I could care less.

I wanted to say alot to him but bit my tongue.

Like...

1. Your a police officer. To serve and protect. Your not doing nothing for my familys safty... Oh must be only when he is on duty....

Oh lost my train of thought..... Will post back later if new info.

I am mad I tell you.

Old 04-20-13, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Mike, have you tried contacting a local news station? I'm not always fond of the media, but sometimes they can be helpful in situations like this.

Old 04-20-13, 08:29 AM
Mike - A FOI request will get you a copy of the report.

It sounds like the animal control officer did his job with your neighbor by explaining to him what the town requires. The question now is probably about compliance and enforcement.

I was serious about billing the guy for your chicken. If it survived take it to a vet for treatment and send him the bill. Also find out if 2nd attack against livestock is the same as against a human in your area. If it is and the dog gets into your chickens again you might be able to get it put down.

I don't recommend getting the media involved in something like this. IMO it would just make matters worse.

Old 04-20-13, 09:57 AM
I would go to the media as a final option.

I also question whether Mike is even allowed to keep chickens at his property. I know most towns do not allow you to keep farm animals. The town he lives in still does have some farms, so the restriction may be based on zoning.

Old 04-20-13, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
I also question whether Mike is even allowed to keep chickens at his property.
This town is all horse farms and was all chicken farms at one time.

The ordinance in my town is the right to farm rule. 244-1

A. The right to farm all land is hereby recognized to exist as a natural right and is also hereby ordained to exist as a permitted use everywhere in the Township of Howell, subject only to area and bulk requirements (as per the Schedule of Bulk, Dimensional, Height and Related Requirements for the Zones in Chapter 188, Land Use) and to ordinances of the Township, county and State dealing with health, sanitation and environmental protection. The right to farm as it is used in this chapter includes the use of irrigation pumps and equipment, aerial and ground seeding and spraying, tractors, farm laborers and the application of chemical fertilizers, insecticides and herbicides as well as other mechanized equipment and modern procedures, including composting and on-site disposal of organic waste; all for the purpose of producing from the land agricultural products, such as but not limited to vegetables, grains, hay, fruits, fibers, wood, trees, plants, shrubs, flowers and seeds, as well as the propagation and maintenance of horses, cows and other grazing livestock, fowl production, the maintenance of swine (as per and in accordance with Board of Health regulations), and provide for the processing and packaging, wholesaling and retailing of such products as contribute to farm income, including the construction of buildings, fences and parking areas in conformance with Township codes. Livestock fencing shall conform to the use intended and shall not require permits and fees.
B. The foregoing uses and activities included in the right to farm, when reasonable and necessary for the particular agricultural/farming, livestock and/or fowl production, and when conducted in accordance with generally accepted agricultural/farming practices, can and may occur on holidays, Sundays, and weekdays, at night and in the day, and the usual noise, odors, dust and fumes that are caused by them are also specifically permitted as part of the exercise of this right.
C. It is expressly found that whatever inconvenience may be caused to others not of the farming community by such uses and activities so conducted is legal for the farmer, and is more than offset by the benefits from farming to the neighborhood, community and to society in general by the preservation of open space, the beauty of the countryside and clean air, and by the preservation and continuance of farming operations in Howell Township and in New Jersey as a source of agricultural products for this and future generations.

Search this Thread