22 Days and counting to soaps online.

Old 04-07-13, 07:52 PM
22 Days and counting to soaps online.

Some of you kind folks here know I asked for advice here when I built my second desktop computer for watching tv shows in my living room. You also probably know that I built this for my mom as she loves her soap operas and wanted to see them when they went online. Well anyway for those who like One Life To Live and All My Children both can be seen on Hulu for free at least for a while beginning April 29th so soap fans mark your calendars

I have to admit I need my daily dose of soap myself. They are kind of dumb and the stories don't always make sense but I guess that is where the charm comes in.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-13, 02:25 AM
....They are kind of dumb and the stories don't always make sense....

You got that right. Years ago I used to watch the ones on ABC when I was on afternoons. Well, when that dude was going to freeze the earth or whatever it was I figured that was enough.

Old 04-08-13, 03:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Entertainment comes in many forms.....it's just I can't wrap my brain around soaps. Given the option of watching them or cutting 6 acres of grass with a pair of scissors, I'd be a snipping fool!!

Old 04-08-13, 04:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Me too Larry!! I rarely watch TV during the day time. My shop has a roof and a wood stove
That leaves sickness to be the only reason for me to be inside ..... and I try my best not to get sick
NASCAR is about the only thing that will get me to watch daytime TV

Old 04-08-13, 01:23 PM
I can't watch 30 seconds of any daytime soap opera.

Old 04-08-13, 03:44 PM
If you think soaps are dumb now you should have watched Dark Shadows the one that was dedicated to the vampire. It was what I used to watch when I came home from school. Actually the older soaps were a bit better than today's newer soaps and I actually like home improvement shows over soaps better. Makes it nice that it is online now instead as you don't have to watch them unless you want to.

Old 04-08-13, 03:56 PM
I never watched Dark Shadows either.

Makes it nice that it is online now instead as you don't have to watch them unless you want to.
There are still some soap operas on broadcast (and cable) television in my area. I don't watch them because my television has an OFF control.

But even with the demise of the soap opera they have something just as obnoxious to replace them; the daytime "talk" shows. These include such hen parties as The View all the way to the scum shows such as Jerry Springer and Maury Povitch and several other similar shows. Almost as bad are the "Judge" shows that have some of the stupidest people on earth, or at least in the US, appearing to settle some relatively minor grievance. To me, these programs play to the lowest common denominator of our broken society and have little to no socially redeeming value. They ARE, however indicative of what a lack of education and morals leaves us.

Old 04-08-13, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
I'm a soap lover myself AND I used to watch Dark Shadows after school, too. I was really upset when it was cancelled.

I do HATE talk shows tho.

I might have to ban myself if I tell you what I think of some of the people on the judge shows, lol!

Old 04-08-13, 05:32 PM
I agree some of the stuff they have on the soaps is just garbage but some of what they replaced them with like the Chew or the Revolution were even worse. The Chew for some reason managed to stay on tv but the Revolution was cancelled. Of the two soaps that are going online actually One Life To Live had the better story lines and even had some mystery stories written in like with Criminal Minds or some of the better night time shows. If it gets stupid though and repulsive we will be watching something else we shall see.

Old 04-08-13, 05:36 PM
If you still want to see Dark Shadows by the way Becky it is on Netflix I have some of the tapes but I think they have the whole series. I thought I would mention that while you are on.

Old 04-08-13, 06:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One rule at my house....if it has a laugh track, we don't watch it. That's about 70% of network viewing in the evening.

Old 04-22-13, 03:33 PM
Just a reminder for those who might be interested that it is now one week until soaps online. I can't say how they will be they might be worse than what is on regular television or might be better hard to say. I am not the one who is mainly interested that would be my mom. Personally I like home improvement shows better but as I said will watch soaps but can live without them. I will post one more reminder on Sunday and then probably post no more on the subject afterwards except maybe a few comments about what I thought about them.

Old 04-28-13, 08:41 PM
Last reminder the soap operas start on midnight of the 29th. Not sure how good or bad they will be I leave that to others to judge and I will review what I see after I see it.

Old 04-29-13, 07:04 PM
I just saw the soaps online and can't say they were any more worse or better than they were on television as far as dialogue and story goes. The sets were kind of cheesy more so than they ever were on television so it was a bit low budget. Over all I would give it out of a possible 10 about a 7 so there is some room for improvement.