USS Clamagore

Old 04-08-13, 10:24 AM
USS Clamagore

Daughter and her husband were down south last week and took a tour of the Clamagore, he wasn't impressed. She said these subs apparently weren't designed for a 6'7" person...

I told him in the movies they grab onto something above and swing their feet through first, much faster. He didn't think that would work....

He did find the Yorktown much more to his liking with a little more room....

Charleston does look like a place I'd like to visit until she sent the pictures of the gators......no thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-13, 12:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, short places and tall folks don't get along to well.
What have you got against gators? They never worried me much when I lived in gator country but then I didn't find out until just before I moved north that they can reach speeds of 30+mph for short distances and climb chain link fences

Old 04-08-13, 12:52 PM
No military ships are designed for ease of the crew. Many decades ago I was involved in some work on a decommissioned US Coast Guard buoy tender. This was a 189 foot model, I forget the series name, but originally constructed as an Army mine planter. They had been designed for diesel propulsion but for some reason were built with steam plants.

Anyway, I'm a fairly normal sized guy, or at least I was back then, at 5'11" in height and I had to crouch in many areas of the engine room to avoid hitting my head. This was especially true on the throttle deck although not at the throttle station itself. Conversely, I had a partner of Filipino extraction that was maybe 5' 5" and he ran around all over that ship standing tall.

Old 04-08-13, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
I went on the USS Pampanito tour at Fishermans Wharf many years ago....that was one of the newer WWII subs and it was a shock to compare to the more modern ships I had been on. I had always thought our living and machinery spaces were cramped....what an eye opener. A few years later I was stationed at the shipyard in Newport News, VA where they do sub and carrier work. As CDO on weekends I had to go aboard at least 2 ships to check for safety issues and to see if their duty people needed to tell us anything. Went on an attack sub in for overhaul....gotta say...it wasn't a heck of a lot better. No extra space anywhere...anyone over 6' or 200lbs would have dings and dents all over his body.

Old 04-08-13, 05:01 PM
At 5'6" I can't complain much. Not that I ever served in the Navy. I did take a tour of the USS New Jersey a few years ago. That I enjoyed quite a bit. We got to go into one of the 16" gun turrets and look inside. There is a hatch under the bottom on the back side. You have to crouch down to get in. Maybe it was on my way out that I hit my head. I've managed to bump my head on a lot of hard surfaces. You'd think at some point of hardness, you wouldn't be able to tell any difference. Man, I don't think I've hit my head on anything harder than 12" thick armor.

Old 04-08-13, 07:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Charleston is a great city to visit. Ft. Sumter, first shots of the War. (I'll not say which one). The "battery" is nice, even in the evening. No ruffians to mess with you while you are walking along. Police every 5th car, I think. One set of our grandkids live on Sullivan's Island just out of Charleston. Parents, too, but I forget their names JK.

Driving big rigs along the Tamiami Trail was fun back in the 70s. You had a flat tire, you stayed in your cab and used your CB radio to call for help. They (probably Tow Guy) would send out a service vehicle along with a rifleman for the gators. Those things can move at fantastic speeds.

Old 04-09-13, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
Great vacation spot, Charleston; stopped there for a couple of days while traveling about 6 years ago. In addition to the mentioned spots, they also have a very nice aquarium.

Only real men live where the wildlife will eat you.

Old 04-09-13, 07:16 AM
Larry, Did you know that the first shot in the War of Southern Rebellion (is that the one you were referring to?) wasn't fired at Sumpter? It was fired at a Federal ship attempting to reinforce the fort. I lived in Charleston for 8 years and had never visited the fort until recently. I came away thinking I hadn't missed much.

I spent the last 15 years before retirement working as a Naval Engineering activity's on site engineering rep at a shipbuilder and at a submarine base. I have been on many submarines, including every class from Barbel to Virginia. The difference between a WW2 era Balao diesel boat (2400 tons displacement) and a modern Virginia class nuke (7800 tons displacement) is huge not only in size but especially in capability. And then there are the Ohio class boomers that are 560 ft long and displace nearly 19,000 tons.

The same quantum difference is true in habitability and crew comfort. It isn't like the old submarine movies from WW2. Guys 6'7" are still gonna' bump their heads though.

Old 04-09-13, 07:38 AM
I took a personalized tour of one of our Canadian boats in Halifax by one of my friends that serves on it. At 5'10", there was some areas that were pretty tight for me. I didn’t take any photos as it was an active ship (not tourist trap) and I may have been in areas I shouldn’t have.

Even got to enjoy a few with the guys in the mess. They have a soda machine modified to hold beer. Not sure if it's true or not, but I was told that most US boats are dry (no alcohol on board).

Old 04-09-13, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Mike....ALL US ships are dry. There was a time when if you were actually at sea for 90(?) days with no port calls, you were allowed 2 beers. Had to be consumed right there at the cook out which was held at the same time. No hoarding, no saving for later.

Pretty sure that's not done now. Different mind set about alcohol consumption.

Old 04-09-13, 11:07 PM
What have you got against gators? They never worried me much....they can reach speeds of 30+mph for short distances and climb chain link fences.
Those things can move at fantastic speeds.
Never would have guessed something with such short legs can run at all. I'm sure if I were to see one I could walk/run on water.

Only real men live where the wildlife will eat you.
Well, if I had to chose between a bear and some slimy reptile I'll take Yogi every time.

Driving big rigs along the Tamiami Trail....
Never heard of that so I had to google. Interesting article in the St. Petersburg paper. Yeah, you won't see me walking in waist deep water to build a road with varmits everywhere.

The Tamiami Trail

Great vacation spot, Charleston.
Sure looks like it, she sent me 469 pictures.

Old 04-10-13, 04:09 AM
Group Moderator
And you should hear the multiple ways visitors or callers from outside Florida (like motor club dispatchers) murder the pronunciation of "Tamiami", a contraction of Tampa-Miami. Pronounced "TAM-ee-AM-ee", the ending does not rhyme with the south Florida city.

Natives mostly just call it The Trail like Northern Californians call San Francisco The City.

Old 04-10-13, 04:11 AM
Well, if I had to chose between a bear and some slimy reptile I'll take Yogi every time.
I agree with this one. Yogi is not as quiet so you can here when he's up to no good.