rain, snow or sleet

Old 04-10-13, 04:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
rain, snow or sleet

What ever happened to the postman's old motto? The county is still working on our bridge but it is usable. The one day that the bridge was out of commission they made it only 8' wide. This week they are working on widening it and installing guardrails. While there are generator cords, welding cables and oxygen/acetylene hoses on the bridge, it only takes the workers a minute or so for them to get out of the way for a vehicle to cross. I can't believe they direct us to drive over all of them!

Anyway, we've not had any mail service this week. We've only had mail delivery on friday and saturday since work the bridge work began [county crews have those days off] The mailman claims he can't get across the bridge. The county supervisor says the mailman didn't even slow down when he passed our road.

Since my wife and a neighbor have called the PO to complain I expect we'll get mail today, surely the mailman can't put it off until friday after people calling up and complaining - not sure why they are anxious to get the mail, all that ever comes are bills and junk mail

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-13, 05:43 AM
Maybe their motto doesn't cover construction. Actually, it seems like he's being lazy considering he drove past your house.

Old 04-10-13, 09:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The mailman didn't drive past my house, rather the one lane bridge which is at the beginning of the dead end road I live on. He usually delivers the mail between 10-11AM. No mail as of 12:10, maybe he will catch us after the rest of his route is done - those county boys try their best not to ever work late.

Old 04-10-13, 04:12 PM
Old 04-10-13, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Ahhhhhh.......I take it you didn't tip your mail carrier person this holiday season.

Old 04-11-13, 04:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The mail ran yesterday evening Several of the neighbors [along with my wife] called the PO to complain. The gal that lives across from my mailbox expected the postman to get out of his car, walk across the foot bridge and deliver the mail if he couldn't cross the bridge, she wanted him fired While I wouldn't expect him to leave his vehicle, I don't see where a 1-2 minute delay crossing the bridge would be a big deal.

Furd, we have our share of crooks in the PO here as well. A few yrs back they arrested one mail carrier after a sting operation where she was opening birthday cards to see if they had cash in them. Another was fired after they found stacks of undelivered mail [going back a year] in both his car and home. You'd think if you weren't going to deliver ALL the mail you'd at least be smart enough to dispose of the evidence

Old 04-11-13, 12:46 PM
My problem with the story I linked is that the letter carrier was only fined a token amount and that was it. Any private citizen that was caught tampering with the mail would be subjected to a fine of $250,000 AND five years in prison. Since the letter carrier did his heinous deed many times he should have received the maximum penalty.

I suspect that mail tampering by the very people that we trust to deliver the mail is a lot more common than anyone suspects. With such laxity in assessing penalties against tampering I wonder how many postal workers do indeed try.

Old 04-11-13, 01:04 PM
Our road was closed one day this winter, about a half mile away, while they ran an oil line through it. It was snowing pretty good that day, but I was out front cutting down a tree when the mail dude came, from the opposite than normal direction, and said that he had to double back to get a couple of houses. He was gone quite a while, and when he came back out, stopped and said that he had gotten his excercise for the day. Apparently they had some trucks parked such that he still couldn't drive all the way in, so he ended up walking what I guessed must have been 1/8 mile or so each way across a snow covered field and through the corner of some woods.

Old 04-11-13, 03:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
So there is at least one conscientious postman out there

I think the only reason we've got mail delivery today and yesterday is because of several irate neighbors calling the PO. Instead of delivering the mail at the normal time, he's put our road at the end of his route. I assume his supervisor didn't like hearing the complaints

Old 04-11-13, 05:05 PM
What do you expect from a $0.40 stamp for a much cheaper rate rate for the bulk/garbage mail from an organization that is expected to be perfect every day.

just look at dealing with FedEx or others and expect service to meet you what you want and then considering going on line for communications where you have to sort out the garbage/spam.

We all get older and still want to hang on to the myths and expect a $0.46 stamp to give you full legal proof of delivery. If my grandchildren had something important to communicate, they would e-mail or text me. I pay all my bills electronically hand have documentation of of receopts and payments. - We empty the trash out of the mail box when we drive by it every few days.

Dick