Remodeling nightmares

Old 04-11-13, 06:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Remodeling nightmares

I love my work. New adventures every day. Here's one I came across today while trying to figure out why there were three hot cables in a triple switch box. Each switch had a hot cable and a loop. Look at this. I tell clients if it is hidden from view and out of the parameters of what I am doing, then it stays, but if I see it, I will correct it, no questions asked. Everyone agrees, usually.

9 each 12-2 wg, NMB cables in one standard octagon jbox. All wires twisted and taped, with no cover.

Name:  Jbox nightmare.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  28.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-13, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Of course no cover ....... you need all those wires to breath.

I recently worked in a big old mansion. Second floor, third floor and attic all wires in mostly knob and tube.
First floor had BX installed to replace a lot of the K & T. I'm guessing the work was down 50 or so years ago. Remember the 3" or 3-1/2" shallow round black boxes...... they contained 8 bx's.... and they were covered. Then there were old style 4" square boxes with 12 bx's. Covers jammed on. All the connections were soldered and friction taped. What a job to bust apart.

Old 04-11-13, 11:04 PM
If you think that is bad you should have seen my cousins rental house he was renting. I went down in the basement of that house and every wire that ran anywhere was taped with electrical tape. No box at all just electrical tape. The guy who was renting to my cousins was apparently a friend of theirs and they were down on their luck. Well they didn't stay there too long and I think they finally moved from there to Washington State. I never did hear anything more about the house but knew even as a kid of about fifteen at the time that the whole house was one code violation after the other. When I became a landlord I vowed to make sure my place was up to code. Since then I have seen some other terrors as far as rented houses go in my own neighborhood.

Old 04-12-13, 04:34 AM
Wow.
I've been pretty lucky with my two owned homes. My first house was rewired by my dad (industrial electrician) and this house for the most part looks like it was properly done (with a few minor things).
That being said, I've seen my share of nastiness.

Old 04-12-13, 02:14 PM
Then on to the bathroom, R&R old tub for Jacuzzi style... double trap. Gotta love these people who put these safeguards in place Oh, all plumbing for entire house is 1/2" cpvc buried below concrete floor. I told my guys not to even breathe next to one of the pipes.

Name:  double trap.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  21.9 KB

Old 04-14-13, 08:07 AM
I dunno about you, but I think this is just HILARIOUS. It's like... "modern art", or something.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-16-13 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Quote not needed
Old 04-14-13, 09:53 AM
More like a Medusa ready to strike as soon as the one layer of electrical tape lost its adhesion.

Name:  medusa.gif
Views: 331
Size:  5.5 KB

Last edited by chandler; 04-14-13 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-15-13, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know what goes thru some folks minds. I was at Lowes yesterday and saw my sister in law's neighbor. Him and his mother are enclosing their front porch and turning it into living space. He was needing longer screws because after they installed the paneling over the vinyl siding, he could no longer get the light to screw back in

Old 04-16-13, 03:24 AM
I don't know what goes thru some folks minds. I was at Lowes yesterday and saw my sister in law's neighbor. Him and his mother are enclosing their front porch and turning it into living space. He was needing longer screws because after they installed the paneling over the vinyl siding, he could no longer get the light to screw back in
Wow.
Would have been just as easy or even easier to remove the siding.

On a side note, one of the previous owners of my old house did the same thing with the side porch. Left the aluminum siding on the wall inside the porch.