Yep. >Students Protest Budget Cuts<

Old 04-17-13, 08:31 AM
Yep. >Students Protest Budget Cuts<

Blue Mountain students protest possible cuts - Republican Herald

Admins Note:

Thread Retitled.
"Students at Blue Mountain High School walked out of class Wednesday morning in protest of expected teacher layoffs and program cuts to balance a $1.4 million school district budget deficit."

Yep, original one word only title, says nothing about the subject matter of the thread...

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 04-19-13 at 08:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-13, 10:55 AM
Well, I hate to say this, but those students had better find better solutions than a "walk out" for all of the cut-backs they will face in future years to pay off the debt they are facing. Teachers have bargained themselves into fat paychecks, soft jobs, and big pensions so it's no wonder they are up front for cuts along with many other professions.

What happened to the 35mm film cameras? They were made obsolete almost overnight by technology. Today, every student at every level in America has access to the internet and it is only a matter of time (short) before 90% of what they teach moves to that media. Laying off 90% of the teachers is right around the corner, as it will be necessary to balance those budgets.

Bud

Old 04-17-13, 11:17 AM
I didn't get a chance to read the link, but I do agree with Bud on the teacher situation.

To this day, I have a real hard time swallowing the amount of debt my wife and I had with student loans, and for what? Our education was obsolete long before we finished paying for it and we got off a lot easier then some when it comes to student debt (if combined ~$40k is considered easy).

With all the doom and gloom of job losses going on, I've been looking at my education and schooling. I truely can't swallow the though of incurring that kind of debt again.

Old 04-17-13, 11:50 AM
Per pupil cost have skyrocketed in my area. A good part of it is exactly what Bud described. In addition to the overpaid teachers (69K average annual salary for less than 10 months work), cushy medical and retirement plans they have also negotiated the average class size to around 13 pupils. Most classes have a paid teacher's aide.

Then there are the coaches and the administrators and the nurses and their assistants and the school psychologist and contracted grief counselors.

Next week we are voting on a referendum to pay for the renovation of our middle school. The nut on the renovation is 65 million dollars and those of us that spoke against it have been branded "anti education." The school has 455 students, 31 teachers and 29 staff.

Old 04-17-13, 11:55 AM
Mike, the link is about: "Students at Blue Mountain High School walked out of class Wednesday morning in protest of expected teacher layoffs and program cuts to balance a $1.4 million school district budget deficit." It's happening everywhere.

The sequestration America is cringing under: "Obama�s order to slice spending this year by $85 billion, divided equally between military and civilian programs." is producing exactly the same type of reaction with every one complaining about any cuts to their turf. But $85 billion is a drop in the bucket compared to what we need to repay and look at the turmoil it has caused. Ten times that would only balance this years budget and then another $1,000 billion per year to repay our $12 trillion debt over 15-20 years. I hate using the word trillion as it is so large I and most people only see it as a number. $12 T is $30,000 per person in America, adults, children, and the rest of the population that doesn't work. By the time you divide that down to people earning an income that could possibly contribute, it is closer to $200,000 each. Now, you pull that kind of money out of the economy and you no longer have an economy, it just collapsed.

The students are complaining, but it is just the beginning if we EVER hope to have a balanced economy. There is a solution, but it requires everyone to support our economy instead of destroying it. 100% buy American (Canada is close enough) or do without. Yes, it will hurt while we wait for production to move back to our shores, but it will hurt a lot less than what we currently face and it results in a debt free robust economy.

Sorry for drifting Justin

Bud
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/14/us...anted=all&_r=0

Last edited by Bud9051; 04-17-13 at 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-17-13, 12:23 PM
Just like back in school, not reading bites me in the butt.

I can't speak for the US, but foreign ownership is really kicking us in the knees here. All the profits made (looking particularly at the mining industry as it's what impacts my town and employment), is shipped out of country. Our own government is giving away our money.

I won't speak on the "Buy American" bit.

Old 04-17-13, 02:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wayne, $65M, as in MILLION for a school renovation. They need to go suck an egg. That's $150,000 per student !! Where will the revenue come from? Schools are a total "expendature" with no income promise. We built a new church building a few years ago at a cost of $8M, and we thought the world had already ended And we produce "income" from our 700 or so members.

Old 04-17-13, 02:41 PM
Our town just opened a new high school, $51 million for 2,300 students. But it only cost us $6 million and you and everyone else who pays taxes got to share the rest. Thank you! But that still sounds like a better deal than $65 million for 700 students. They did say we have 375 teachers and others to support that population.

Bud

Old 04-17-13, 02:46 PM
$8 Million Larry we only paid $4 million for our new church but have had many problems for a church that was built in 2000 like roof leaks and poor plumbing work along with a few other minor things. We didn't have the entire say though the Archdiocese of Washington had the final approval of who would do the building. We have had a tornado go through Beltsville which is where my church is and the church held up and did well after the earth quake too so I guess we can't complain much. Both the Tornado and the quake now a few years back.

I think the trouble with today's economy though is that everyone wants more and more money. Greed has a big part in it some people who don't have as much as other people want more and more every year. A big part of our problem is the pharmaceutical companies raising costs of pharmaceuticals every year. It is no wonder with the costs of everything being so high that teachers want more and actually compared to salaries other people bring home that isn't much for some of the grief they are put through from their students. So I applaud those students hopefully more money can be found for the teachers to continue to teach. Technology though as Bud9051 so rightly pointed out is slowly eroding teachers jobs.

Old 04-17-13, 03:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can blame the union for the cushy teachers salaries and benefits, but all do not share in the over-abundance. My wife is a teacher, non-union, salary no where near 69K, works hard at her job, tutors after school, organizes orientation for incoming freshman students, and manages the yearly picnic. She puts in a full days work, stays after school to tutor for no additional compensation, and grades papers for her 150 students at home at night. We have benefits but every raise she has received in the last 5 years has been totally offset by increases in insurance premiums. Our co-pays are more, not all medications are covered, I could go on but I won't. So, please reference UNION when the discussion warrants it.

Old 04-17-13, 03:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Richard, we, too have had some, I guess, smaller problems, with water leaks, but the kicker to everything is the engineered/architect approved, HVAC certified system. Can you say 200' line sets?? Coolant had no chance to do its job. Sadly we had to enter into a lawsuit to get the builder and his subs to do anything about it. Their claim in theory was that it should work. I don't do HVAC and can tell you from a layman's standpoint....it won't.

Z, it was the next word out of my mouth, but it was full of supper, so thanks for the clarification, and thanks to your wife for her hard work at an unappreciated profession.

Old 04-17-13, 04:21 PM
CZizzi - The 2011 average teacher salary in the US was 55K+, in CT it was 64K+ and in VA it was 50K+. Those are indeed union numbers. My grandkids go to a Christian private school whose non union teachers are payed considerably less than the union teachers in the local public sector. Wanna' make a guess which school has the higher academic ranking in the state?

The teachers unions are one of the principal reasons why communities are struggling to fund local education. The problem is that nobody will stand up to them.

Old 04-17-13, 07:41 PM
Larry - I got confused. The new police station, which is really needed is 6.5 million. The proposed renovation for the 455 student middle school is only 45 million.

Old 04-17-13, 09:50 PM
My high school has been posting deficits for years, some recent ones a bit larger than BM's.
They're running into yet another deficit this year ($1.2M) and things have yet to "happen".

2010 - $2.7M
Twin Valley Schools eye tax hikes, layoffs, cuts in programs to close budget gap

current
Twin Valley students sounds off on budget shortfall

The problem this year is that there are no longer the "options" that were used in the past, so there could be some action in the form of a walk-out or protest.

It is definitely a sign of the times as more districts slide into the "debt hole", some deeper than others.

Last edited by Nick D.; 04-17-13 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-18-13, 03:47 AM
As I remember we had some lawsuit issues too with our church. One of the other things that was so annoying is that they built the church with so high a ceiling that the acoustics were lousy until they had someone go to the church to correct the problem.

Getting back to the subject though it isn't just public schools that have had to cut back but also church schools. Both Catholic and protestant I can't give exact numbers but for catholic schools in our area there are two that I know for sure have completely closed and maybe one other. The church I go to has what they call a regional school and all of the students in that region go there. The school being private can't afford a bunch of school buses so the parents have to drive their kids to school. In a way that is good as it gives more time between the parent and child but makes it hard on the parent who has to go to work.

In some areas of the archdiocese some of the catholic schools to stay open had to become public charter schools which isn't making catholic parents happy and others who are not catholic but want religion taught to their kids. So these are very tough times both for public and all private schools.

Old 04-19-13, 03:41 PM
Happy to announce that the town council voted today to rescind their support for the $45M school renovation. They must have read my post here on DIY. Or maybe it was from all the blowback from residents.

According to the local mullet wrapper at least two reputable contractors have come forward saying that they could build a new school for $20M less.

Hedge - You are right that private schools are struggling. My kids pay taxes for the public schools (which suck) and then they cough up a hefty tuition to send their kids to a private school. Both kids feel that it's worth it, but the school is struggling to stay solvent. They have to keep raising tuition to stay afloat, including unfunded gov't mandates and they keep losing students as parents struggle to pay tuition hikes.

The school has no drugs
no violence
no gangs
and no tolerence. Kids that break the rules leave. Simple as that.

Old 04-19-13, 07:30 PM
The kicker is, the unions who are mandating the pay raise in the first place, are the reason teachers would be getting laid off. Sound counter-productive?