One Big (Electrical) Violation - photos of ~200 year old house in PA

Old 04-22-13, 01:53 PM
One Big (Electrical) Violation - photos of ~200 year old house in PA

Link to facebook album...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=f732105299

LINK CORRECTED

Last edited by Nick D.; 04-22-13 at 02:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-13, 01:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Said link was not available. Must have found out it was bad.

Old 04-22-13, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Nick, your link doesn't seem to work

Old 04-22-13, 03:01 PM
Hopefully none of Justin's work.

Old 04-22-13, 03:27 PM
I can see several violations as far as electrical work is concerned. Those really old houses have more violations it seems although I have both seen for myself and heard about newer houses that have just about as many violations of the electric code. I assume this is a town in PA? Nice old buildings!

Old 04-22-13, 03:28 PM
The link worked for me. I helped a friend ready his 1740 farmhouse so that it could be lifted and the rubblestone foundation stabilized. His basement was even worse than this one. It was a mix of just about every wiring method used over the last 80 years.

Are the drain lines to code? I'm not a plumber, but I thought the only options for drain pipes was vertical or 1/4"per foot pitched.

Old 04-22-13, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Is this the boy's new clubhouse

Don't let a little knob and tube scare ya.

I see the usual phone company barrage. No matter where I work.... it always looks like a bomb hit the phone wiring

Old 04-22-13, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by hedgeclippers
I assume this is a town in PA? Nice old buildings!
Yes, if you follow the link at the bottom of the picture grid, you'll see that this is in Douglassville, which is in the very old tri-county region (Berks, Chester, Lancaster) of Pennsylvania. There are dozens and dozens of these old houses in the region, the oldest dating back to the late 1600s-early 1700s.

Originally Posted by PJmax
Don't let a little knob and tube scare ya.
You don't know me... I love old wiring, and the older the better.
I wish there were MORE of it!
I just think it "adds" to the look of the mess in this situation, seeing how careless and messy the wiring is overall.

Old 04-22-13, 06:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Doing nothing but remodeling for a living, I'll have to say this is a mess.....BUT I've gotten into worse, like the one I'm on now. Can you say "no Bcaps", anywhere? Twisted and taped throughout. We don't have K&T in the south much, but it doesn't look like anything I want in my remodels.

Old 04-22-13, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Worst I ever saw was a beachfront cottage. The owner wanted to put a point of use electric water heater in the kitchen The owener hoped to put it on an existing receptacle circuit.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw the receptacles and wiring. For those old enough to remember dime stores, remember the surface mount receptacles they use to sell. Well that was what all the receptacles in the cottage were and yes they were wired with #18 lamp cord probably from the same dime store. That wasn't the scary part though. It was all on a single 30 amp fuse. (I guess that was so the window AC didn't blow the fuse.)

Now for the irony or maybe that is the wrong term. The lighting was #14 cable on a 15 amp fuse.

Old 04-22-13, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw the receptacles and wiring. For those old enough to remember dime stores, remember the surface mount receptacles they use to sell.
Hey, I LIKE those old surface mounts... they make for cool extension cords.
I made this one... polarized Eagle SMR, #18 lamp cord and a Monowatt "jiffy" plug.

Old 04-24-13, 05:37 AM
This reminds me so much of the house I rewired this summer...And the restaurant I do electrical for. The good news about this stuff is, you get a good amount of money when you rip it out for scrap.

Old 04-24-13, 03:14 PM
My first apartment when I was in college was in an 8 year old house the elderly owner had built himself. He finished the walk-out basement into a series of 3 bedrooms, bath, and living area. After he had the walls finished, he evidently discovered he forgot to install any wiring rough-ins for outlets. So what did he do, in his infinite wisdom? Buy a spool of 18 ga white lampcord, and staple that to the ceilings of each room, each run terminating in a 3 way tap. All of the lampcord runs initiated at a single common plug-in, which was plugged into a screw-in adapter installed in the porcelean fixture in the hallway. We had a full size refrigerator, tube-type TV, and all our lamps, clock radios, stereos, etc. plugged into that system. My roommate and I, being farm kids, had enough common sense to know the limitations of this wiring, so we never had any issues. Of course, this was in the mid 70's, so no microwaves or computers back then.