Peak Crime, the B-Boomers did it

Old 05-07-13, 12:38 PM
Peak Crime, the B-Boomers did it

An interesting article.
Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Social & Demographic Trends
Gun deaths and crime are down, but what caused the peak in the 90's? It was the baby-boomers of course, a rowdy group if there ever was one .

I'll let you read.
Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-13, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Here's something I read a while back. Lead ingestion was linked to violent tendencies and since the phase out and elimination of lead in gas and paint....when people who were children during those times grew up..they committed crime. As the next generation grew up without all the lead...the tendencies were less.

Old 05-07-13, 01:42 PM
Baby boomers? The post-war "baby boom" was from about 1945 to maybe as late as 1960. That would make the youngest "boomer" at least thirty years old and most of them older.

Vic, I don't buy the lead idea either. I was born in 1950 and I, along with many boys my age collected all the lead we could find. We did everything but eat it. I don't mean to state that lead is non-hazardous or benign but it just can't be as bad as we are told. I used to melt my lead and pour it into "ingots" and then melt those ingots and pour it into other shapes. I still have at least thirty pounds of that lead I had as a kid. Other members of my group melted it and cast fishing weights or weights for diving belts. I suspect I have had more than a double lungful of lead vapors and there is no dain bramage in my head.

The house I grew up in was built in 1905 and had a major remodel in the late twenties or early thirties. It would have been full of lead paint. My daddy was a painter and (obviously) worked with lead paint, often bringing home dirty overalls full of paint drips or dust from sanding lead paint. Up until the ban on lead paint the only paint I ever used was full of lead and after the ban I still had a significant amount of lead paint to use for various projects. I wouldn't be surprised to find I STILL have some lead paint from those years.

Now MAYBE this does apply to the slum kids that would regularly eat the chips from lead paint. As I said, I never ate the stuff and I never knew anyone that did but I also remember the public service announcements on the television showing a little slum kid looking out the window while munching the paint he chipped off the window sill.

Old 05-07-13, 01:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've painted with and sanded lead paint but have no health issues associated with lead. Heck, as a school boy we even dug the fresh glazing out of the replaced windows at the school house and made goofy looking teeth to put in our mouths ..... of course had the painters caught up with us we'd been threatened with a different type of lead

I also don't want to make light of the bad effects that lead exposure can produce and they are more of a danger to children than adults. Hadn't ever heard any association with lead and crimes. I wonder if it has anything to do with the reluctance of today's society to own responsibility for their actions.

Old 05-07-13, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Not saying I believe it...but the many articles I've seen seem to have some good thoughts. Haven't read the report either...but looks like it mostly applied to urban areas with lots of people, cars, air pollution, and slums.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 05-07-13 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-07-13, 02:47 PM
There is no question that lead, like all heavy metals, is hazardous to human health. What I question is the assumption that a peak in crime in the 1990s was a result of phasing out the use of lead in gasoline and paint less than a decade prior.

Old 05-07-13, 02:57 PM
I don't believe the lead paint idea either sorry Gunguy45 I believe when you say you read that but just don't believe what you read. I have been around lead and lead solder especially for years before I ever became as interested as I am now in computers and I know I breathed in lead fumes. I too though believe that lead is dangerous to young children and think that some of the new rules for contractors make sense and some do not regarding lead based paint removal. Crime in my judgement has to do with how people are raised and some outside influences that have nothing to do with how good or bad a parent is.

Old 05-07-13, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Like I said...haven't read the study...but the basics were that as leaded gas was phased out in different areas there was a corresponding decrease a certain time later. As the exposed children reached adulthood 20 yrs later and committed the crime and were incarcerated or eliminated...the following generation was less exposed and were not as volatile. Remember...some areas had leaded gas longer than others. Apparently they could correlate state by state and city by city in some cases.

Of course it also could have had to do with things like people getting fed up and a greater police presence.

Anyway...it's an interesting correlation from what I've read. When I have time I might try and read at least some of what they found.

Old 05-07-13, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Old 05-07-13, 03:09 PM
Like most kids of my generation I played with lead - remember biting lead split shot to clamp it on your line? Now in may states you can't even use lead sinkers. I also played with mercury and we often picked chunks of free asbestos off the ground. Damn! I must have died 20 years ago.

I attribute the drop in gun homicides to the sexual revolution. Less stress means less violence, right?

Old 05-07-13, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
The post-war "baby boom" was from about 1945 to maybe as late as 1960.
1965 from what I read... I am the last of the baby boomers at 47 yrs old.

That article is kind of hogwash IMO. Its really not the baby boomers, although you can say the generation that grew up in the lat 70's early 80's as myself.

As the article touched on.... designer drugs!!!!. Yes no more pot, peace and love.... Crack....heroin....mescaline/acid....etc... I lived through it...

With these drugs kids got addicted...hence lie, cheat, steal, rob, kill...to supply your addiction....this is the plain truth...

Please forget the lead paint thing...ha,ha.... There were better drugs out there then paint chips.......

No since the 80's died down and we got older, generation X came 1990's plus... Straight laced they call them...Drug free... Skateboarders and the such. Abstinence!!! So think about it...

Possible older or younger people dont know what a 17 year old in 1982 went through in their lives.... Me!!!!!!

Just my take and my opinion...

Old 05-09-13, 06:01 PM
The book Freakanomics touches on this very issue. The question isn't what caused the peak, but what caused the decline. In the book they mention several things the believe contributed to the drop in crime. Some more controversial than others.

Old 05-10-13, 07:08 AM
My reading list is longer than I'm going to live, so can you give me a short list of what they believe contributed. With summer here everything else is competing with computer time. Thanks.

Bud