One Click Down Memory Lane

Old 05-11-13, 01:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One Click Down Memory Lane

Early this morning after reviewing new posts on this site, I tried to Plan my day. Not one else was awake so with my coffee in hand, I decided to check the local weather as they had called for rain. It was at that point that I lost the rest of the day.

On the weather channels website was an interesting thumbnail entitled "Eerie Abandoned Train Stations". Clicked on it and it took me back to when I was 8 years old, waiting for Grandma (Babci) to arrive from Utica New York on the west bound train line at the Buffalo Central Terminal Train Station.

Easily one of the most Fantastic, Majestic Buildings I have ever been in in my entire life. It broke my heart to see what a state of disarray and decay it had fallen into. First link to weather channel website - first subject has 57 pictures of that station.

Eerie Abandoned Train Stations (PHOTOS) - weather.com

I can still see myself sitting on the long benches which were ergonomically shaped. My brother and I would set up pop sickle sticks in the corners at each end and roll a marble down the length to see if we could knock it over.

The 1970s - a set on Flickr

My heart was lifted when I found that efforts are underway to restore parts of the station. Here is a link to a photographers blog post of a tour he made last summer after the building was opened up for visitors.

Buffalo: Central Terminal Tour (July 2012) - SkyscraperCity

I still remember walking past the giant statue of a Buffalo. I wish I had spent more time admiring what was there than playing marbles with my brother.

They don't build them like that anymore....

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-13, 03:02 AM
czizzi I understand how you feel about your train station. While I live close enough to Washington D.C. I have never been to Union Station, Union Station for those who are unaware of its history was built in 1907 so it is actually older than Buffalo Station in New york which if memory serves me right from what I read it was built in 1929. So still very old and very majestic too even though it has been badly damaged inside.

Union Station though unlike Buffalo Station continued to operate even though the building had been in such disrepair from accidents and just very poor maintenance. It really came to the point though that they seriously thought about closing Union Station down because parts of the building were becoming dangerous. It never went to such a state though that trees were starting grow inside the building like with Buffalo Station.

Now though with Federal funding and some corporate funding from charitable trusts Union Station is once again a very beautiful old building. It took millions of dollars and a great deal of work but now it hosts stores and all kinds of restaurants to suit different tastes. During the earth quake we had in the area parts of Union Station were damaged but it held up better than most of the other buildings. So it shows that the contractors who worked on the building to restore it really cared about what they were doing.

A couple of links one to Wikipedia that has some information about Union Station and the next to the Union Station website here are the links Union Station (Washington, D.C.) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Union Station :: 2 West /40 Massachusetts Ave., NE, Washington, DC. 20002 :: (202) 289-1908 . I know in time with enough money Buffalo Station can become the grand old building it once was. I myself am a train enthusiast and have went on the train ride on the Strasburg rail line in Pennsylvania many times. My grandfather used to fix trains at the train repair shop when an engine would come in for repairs I believe at Union Station although I am not certain of that. So I heard a few stories about the turn stile they would use to bring a train in for repairs.

Old 05-12-13, 05:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've been to a few of the old rail stations and it's amazing the work and craftsmanship that was put into them. Appearance wise, new buildings have nothing on the older ones. I remember walking to the train depot to meet my grandparents when I was young.... but it was just a good sized plain bldg next to the tracks.

Old 05-12-13, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator
Also grand central NYC. This is where we get off the subway and walk down to times square.

Old 05-12-13, 06:22 AM
The travesty is NY Penn Station. They knocked that down to build Madison Square Garden.

Old 05-12-13, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah droo.... heres what they did with most of penn station.... Dumped in the meadowlands landfill.

Some things were pulled from the dump and are in various places.

14 of the 22 eagles are somewhere from what I read.

A fountain in MO.

Old 05-12-13, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
I knew they knocked the station down but didn't know the debris was used as fill in the Meadowlands. I'm glad they were able to recover some of those statues. I wouldn't mind one of those eagles in my front yard.

Old 05-12-13, 12:30 PM
Nice pictures of New York Central Station Mike I especially like the grand staircase on each end of the station. Union Station when they did the first really big renovation never had a stairway on both sides of the building going up to the upper level. Originally it was designed that way by the architect but from what I understand they thought it would be too costly. So to add symmetry to the building they decided after much discussion to add stairs on the other side of the building. The money used to fix Union Station sure has been worth it as it has helped to pick up not only the station but the whole neighborhood from decline in the immediate area.

Old 05-24-13, 02:07 PM
There are many types of public buildings that were once built grand and opulent in standard practice, and are now typically bland, conservative and corporate-looking. To see a movie in the 1920s and 30s, you didn't go a "movie theater". You went to a movie theatre, a movie palace or even an opera house.

The comparison of banks then and now is no different. The banks of old weren't just banks, they were banking halls.

Search this Thread