Hard to find good help

Old 05-14-13, 12:37 PM
Hard to find good help

Last week I hired a couple of strapping kids from the local high school to help with some yard work. I have a large area of my yard that was treated rudely by a skid steer. I wanted the area raked smooth (after I smoothed it with the bucket), rocks picked up and about 10 yds of topsoil spread and raked. I paid them each $15 an hour. I fired them after a couple of hours. A couple of lazy whiners.

A friend referred me to a local welfare outfit that finds day labor for people looking for work. They sent me a scrawny 52 year old woman! The lady looked like she had had a hard life. We used to call it ""rode hard and put up wet". I was not happy. I showed her what I wanted done and she said OK.

Long story short - she kicked my a**. I know how to work and I ain't lazy, but this woman showed me how to get it done! I was embarrassed to take a break 'cause she just kept on working. I ended up giving her what I would have paid both the kids.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-13, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Agreed....best workers I've ever had were people that NEEDED it...not just wanted it. Not That I've hired a lot of people.

HS kids are ok for grunt labor (move a pallet of shingles or concrete from a to B) but any precision....forget it.

Old 05-14-13, 01:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I find, too, high school kids (not you Justin!!) sometimes don't understand the long range of things. I want the yard to look like this. When really they understand, like Vic said, point A to point B, then new directions are needed to fill their head. Overfill it and it will run out their toes, it seems.

Old 05-14-13, 02:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
then new directions are needed to fill their head. Overfill it and it will run out their toes,
I always wondered how that worked.... or didn't, so if we turn them upside down - do they reset

Old 05-14-13, 03:10 PM
Yes, if you turn them upside down, and press the reset button, located between their knees and waist, with your foot!!

Old 05-14-13, 03:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is the generation of instant gratification - they have the world at their fingertips, smart phones with internet access, iPods, iPads, text messaging, facebook, instagram, snap chat, twitter, and in many cases parents who facilitate the actions.

It is my hope that one day each one of these kids gets a harsh reality check. Understanding the world outside of their little circles and what it takes to make it. Unfortunately, your firing these two lads probably did nothing as they were in no way affected by the outcome of their actions. Unfortunately, someday there will be consequences.

Still remember being hired by the neighbors to do tasks around the house. One in particular comes to mind. Neighbor had a 1000ft long driveway back to their house, barn, pastures etc. It was a crush and run gravel drive and the gravel had worked its way to the sides leaving ruts down the center. Worked my rear end off shoveling rocks, racking rocks smoothing rolling hauling to make the drive look like new. Busted my back and the guy paid me $5.00 for my troubles. Lesson learned? Always discuss price before performing any work - a lesson that has followed me the rest of my life.

Old 05-14-13, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
I came from a big family. No allowances. I cut lawns all over the neighborhood with an old lawnmower. I spent the winter shoveling sidewalks and driveways by hand.

Other than food and clothing......if we wanted it..... we bought it.
Still remember buying my first car.

Old 05-14-13, 04:55 PM
Never thought much about it, but we were in the same boat. Dad had a relatively good job. Mom did too......raising us kids, fixing meals, ironing, sewing clothes to wear, keeping house, ad infinitum. We never had luxuries that I recall, but didn't miss them, 'cause we didn't know what they were. First car....1955 Chevy. Paid $95 for it. Had to work 2 months to save that much money. Wish I had it now, I bet I could turn my $95 out of it

Old 05-15-13, 02:38 PM
I know when I was a young boy my dad had a service station that he leased from a major oil company so our house for a while anyway did fairly well. So I earned an allowance but not just for doing nothing I had to take the trash out and shovel snow in the winter or I didn't get my allowance. Part of my responsibility too was cleaning my room up.

Kids as czizzi and Larry said in this day and age don't care if they get an allowance or not as they may be making their money in a not too legal way because they know they can get more money. I blame that though on television and cable television not the television of the past. It seems that cable television has more shows that glamorize the use of drugs and texting to death. When I grew up there were only a few television stations and not the hundreds there are now and no one talked about texting anyone. Now too on the air television is imitating what is on cable so you can't get away from it.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 05-15-13 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-15-13, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
I had an allowance after I hit about 10-12 (before that I just begged for the candy and gum when I went to the store with Mom). Dad was a mid-level executive with Frigidaire...so we never wanted for anything. We lived on a 90 acre farm where about 80 acres were leased to a local farmer.

As I got old enough to drive the lawn tractor and such I got $5 a week for mowing the acre or so of lawn, cleaning and push mowing around the pool (put in by the previous owner), feeding and watering the horses and chickens, etc.

At 14 I got bumped to about $10/week but also worked with the farmer baling hay at $1.25 an hour. I also washed my Dads company car once a week for $10. At 16 my parents LOANED me $400 to buy a beat up '65 GTO which got me to my first real job as an usher and later projectionist at the movie theater in town 9 miles away.

I worked harder before I joined the Navy at 18 than I have ever since then. Not including climbing a radar mast at night in a Norwegian fjord to untangle our radar antenna, or humping cannon rounds around the deck of a pitching ship.

Yes...I fully believe that most kids today feel some sort of entitlement...that does not include those in rural areas that work in a family business of any sort.

Old 05-15-13, 04:28 PM
Not including climbing a radar mast at night in a Norwegian fjord to untangle our radar antenna

Vic - Not too many places more beautiful than the fjords. Ever hit Tromso?

One of my favs was knocking ice off a SPS-10 antenna underway in the North Atlantic. No harnesses back in the day. Just a linesman's belt and a fire ax.

Old 05-15-13, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
Actually...I just looked...and it was a Danish island...Bornholm. Pretty much same same I guess. And you are right...they were fantastic sights. Thank you NATO naval exercises.

My problem was an LN-66 that the SMs had let a line tangle in. Dragged it up in between the base and rotating array, and of course burned and melted it into a solid block. In the fjord the SPS-10 was pretty useless for navigation details. Buck knife and needle nose pliers pulling it out a chunk at a time. Did get a shot of "medicinal" alcohol when I came down the mast.

Old 05-16-13, 04:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
allowance

I never did get an allowance when I was kid but I did learn to work. I didn't much care for working by the hour as most wanted to pay minimum wage - 60 cents per hour I made more than that mowing grass and shoveling snow

We only have one grandkid and I guess that plays a part in him being spoiled. I fuss at my wife often for spending so much on him, not the amount of money but the fact that he thinks anything he wants - maybe Nana will get it for him. While I don't want any of our kids to work as hard as I have over the years, they need to get acquainted with hard work! How can you have any pride in yourself or what you've done if you've not struggled to get there?