A lot of nerve.

Old 06-01-13, 11:04 AM
A lot of nerve.

Five years ago when we first moved into this house we had a certain cable company providing us with TV service. It was the worst quality cable TV I have ever experienced. When I was laid off for the first time, I canceled the cable to save money. When I got a new job, I didn't resubscribe because it was inbetween show seasons and I didn't want to waste the money if there wasn't much we would watch. I was able to set us up with an antenna and got all the local network channels in HD.

It was probably a few weeks after I went back to work that I received a notice from a company that was a long time provider of telephone service. Now they were offering TV service in my area. I called immediately and subscribed to their service. I have been very happy with it.

Ever since I signed up with them, the old cable company started to send salesmen to my door to get me back. I was cordial at first and told them why I don't like their service and that I never want it and I wouldn't take ti for free because it was so bad. Well they kept on coming. So I put a "No Soliciting" sign right above the door bell specifically to keep them away. This may have a helped a little, but I still had a couple ringing my bell.

This just happened to me again today. I swing the door open, the man tells me who is working for and I quietly point right at my "No Soliciting" sign because if you have the gonads to still ring my bell, you are going to have some explaining to do. His response was, "Oh, I'm not soliciting. I'm here with a corporate apology." It would have been hard to not to laugh if I wasn't already furious that he was at my door to begin with. So I motioned with my hand, "Ok. C'mon. Let me hear the bulls***."

He went on to tell how I had some problems with the service in the past and something about some bad phone calls. And he refers to his notes as to when this all happened: back in 2009. "Really? You are here to apologize for something that happened in 2009?" I told him that with all the salesmen that came by bothering me, ignoring my sign and that the service was so bad that I wouldn't take it for free.

Sigh. This cable company is like herpes, once you have them, they never go away.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-13, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
Haven't had that problem with Optimum. I get the mail blitz but no one at the door.

I tried FiOS three years ago because they had a great intro package but only a one year subscription. After that year the price rose dramatically.... so between that and the high phone company taxes I dumped them and went back to Optimum. Optimum offered me a great two year deal at a great price.

Once I was back with Optimum I started receiving the FiOS mail blitz but never a great deal to return. So now it's coming to the end of the two year plan and Optimum wants to raise the rates. I'm completely sick and tired of the cable service at this point. That was back in January. One day FiOS is knocking at the door. I said if you don't have a great deal in that briefcase don't even bother coming in.

Well...they had sharpened their pencils and were open for business. So I'm back with FiOS again. Their service in my area has been 100% flawless. It was the first time I had it but their rates were not competitive. If the cable company doesn't upgrade in my area they are going to lose the area to FiOS.

For those that don't know..... FiOS is a fiber optic based system from the phone company in my area that supplies phone, internet and TV.

Old 06-01-13, 01:29 PM
I'm not into switching my service just based on price. It's also really hard to compare their prices because they package the channels so differently. They never include the taxes and fees either.

I've had a good time with FIOS. I did have some trouble with the service but it eventually got fixed and we managed to get the upgraded DVR in the process. I find their UI to be better as well. They also still had a functioning network at my house right after Sandy. I'm never going back. When they talk about raising my rates, I just call them and get them to give me a discount. They offer special discounts for people that ask for them. This last time they really didn't have anything good enough, so the guy got me to act like I was guying to cancel the service so he could give me an additional rate decrease to keep me. I had to do a 2 year contract, but that doesn't matter to me.

Old 06-01-13, 02:13 PM
I like FIOS and Verizon but sometimes the number of phone calls I get can be rather annoying over the course of several days. That and the extra mail we get because we don't have their tv service too as we only wanted telephone and the internet. Even with the little annoyances though I wouldn't want to switch and certainly not back to the caveman times of dial up except in an emergency.

Old 06-01-13, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I used to have DIRECTV and dial up but switched to fiber optic thru the light company when it became available. When I first moved here 22 yrs ago I tried to get cable as it was within 2 power poles of my house but the cable company refused - said they couldn't run cable that far

There isn't a month goes by that I don't get a flier from the cable company wanting my business and while I haven't called in a few yrs, their response has always been that I live at a non serviceable address. I have no desire to switch to cable but wonder how many pounds of paper they have wasted over 20+ yrs sending me offers that they have no intention of filling

Old 06-13-13, 07:24 PM
Yeah, they will hound you even if you can't get service. Cable companies are ruthless. If I were you I would call and ask to be put on a non-solicitating list, this way they can't legally contact you.

Old 06-14-13, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try dealing with Direct TV.
The guy shows up to install a new head when I was not home, just my girl friend was there so we could get the local channels and says we need to raise the dish 6" for it to work and would do it for $100.00 extra but only would take cash.
She told him where he could but that idea.
Then he says he needs to run a new cable from the dish to the box and refuses to go under the house to run it where the old one was. There is over 4' of room all dry with plastic on the ground.
He runs the cable around a 12 X 24' deck instead of under it, and runs the line over a set of steps instead of under them right were someone could step on it, then cuts a screen to run the wire through. By now the lines to short so he has it pulled tight in the air right across a door to the bathroom.
Not bad enough, before installing the smart card he hands my girl friend his "report card" that he's already filled out saying how good his customer service was and refuses to install the card unless she signs it.
Lets put it this way, he was charged with distrution of property, fraud, and no longer has a job.
Fast foward 2, years. I buy a house that already has the dish and wiring in place and they had there $19.98 special for one year and free install.
They insist a Tec has to come out and install the system. They the closest one is 1-1/2 hours away. Which is bull because I see them every day in the area.
He makes a Sunday appt. because he has another one to do in the same area.
Sunday comes and he calls and cancels, says it looks like rain. Clear as a bell where I live.
I know the other guy he was going to do the install for and found out he installed his on Sunday but not mine.
I get it installed and soon recive my first bill. It was for over $300.00 for just basic service. I call and spend an hour with 3 differant people. They credit my bill. For the next 3 months it's the same thing over bill, credit my bill.

Old 06-14-13, 05:08 AM
I used to have DIRECTV and dial up but switched to fiber optic thru the light company when it became available. When I first moved here 22 yrs ago I tried to get cable as it was within 2 power poles of my house but the cable company refused - said they couldn't run cable that far

There isn't a month goes by that I don't get a flier from the cable company wanting my business and while I haven't called in a few yrs, their response has always been that I live at a non serviceable address. I have no desire to switch to cable but wonder how many pounds of paper they have wasted over 20+ yrs sending me offers that they have no intention of filling
Sounds like my parents for their internet. They are still on dialup as that is all they can get without going satilite (and that is not cheap).
Their provider has tried kick them off dialup and force them to upgrade (cable or DSL). Each time, my dad tells them "Sure, You hook it up and prove it works, and I'll cancel my dialup". One dummie actually went out there to try.

Old 06-14-13, 05:38 AM
I've had cable service from the same company (Storer/Comcast) since 1977. This was in 3 different locations. In all that time, while I have been occasionally irritated with them, I have never had a real problem with them. They were one of the first companies to switch over to fiber optics cable. When they did they added internet service.
Every now and then I get the smail/email offers to switch to different companies. Most of them are cheaper but they all end up in the trash.