Data Collection

Old 06-08-13, 08:38 AM
Data Collection

For those who wonder why gun owners (and the NRA) do not trust our government you need look no further than the recent disclosures about their data mining activities. They do own the largest computer system in our country (I think). Could we trust them to not misuse gun owner information, I think not. And if the truth were to come out, they have already accumulated far more data on ownership than we could possible imagine. Data is like candy to a baby for our government.

Oops, I hear a knock at the door.

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-13, 03:16 PM
It isn't just guns and it isn't just the government. There are literally hundreds of data mining operations and much of it is only barely legitimate. I'm old and pretty much don't give a crap anymore but it is really scary how much info on me is stored in a data base somewhere with minimum security, or more properly, numerous data bases. What's worse is that a fair amount of that data is incorrect and I have no way of knowing who might access it or of what use they will make of it and I have no way of correcting the erroneous info.

Old 06-08-13, 03:45 PM
Years ago, the bank I contracted with began a new credit checking process. When I commented that some people would regret their past credit problems until those records expired, she said they never expire. There are places where everything ever documented about anyone will always be available, up front or secretly. Will it ever end?

Bud

Old 06-08-13, 05:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
a fair amount of that data is incorrect and I have no way of knowing who might access it
Just look at your own credit scores from the big three. I bet you can find something incorrectly reported on at least one of them. And they control your life so to speak.

Old 06-08-13, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Between 24 yrs in the military, getting my check each month, and using my Tricare medical insurance...I imagine anything they want to know is out there somewhere. I do feel pretty good that searching my name doesn't turn up near as many hits as some people I know. No arrest records, no newspaper articles, etc. Just basic public info about addresses and phone numbers.

Old 06-08-13, 06:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So you had someone take care of that arrest for the drunken brawl in the bar in San Diego that time you were on leave, huh?? Oops!! JK

You're right, the less exposure you have the safer you can feel. I get hits because of the company and rental cabin, but nothing like you mentioned.

Old 06-08-13, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
It wasn't leave...I went home to OH on leave. It was normal weekend liberty and I didn't need anyone to take care of it since I made it back through the base gates. Lol...

Old 06-08-13, 06:19 PM
I check my credit history from each of the big three reporting agencies every year and yes, I have found discrepancies in the past. I was able to get those removed without much problem. Some of them were listing addresses my ex-wife lived at as former addresses and some were accounts that I had never opened but were shown in my name along with a good history.

Doing a Google using my name will cause a number of hits on people other than me. Probably the most prominent is a preacher in, if I remember correctly, Iowa. This is somewhat interesting because my parents came from Iowa and I still have some shirttail relatives in that state. It is also a bit ironic with me being an atheist.

Old 06-08-13, 06:30 PM
I'm a bit surprised that this information about the data collection is considered new. I don't remember what show it was, but several years ago, possibly before Obama was even in office, I was watching a show about the government's surveillance of telephone conversations and internet traffic. They had set up an office in the same building where the international cables came ashore. There were also former NSA employees saying that they had listened in on telephone conversations as well.

Old 06-08-13, 06:39 PM
Sounds like an episode of Frontline I watched long before anyone had even heard the name Obama. Data collection and data mining has been going on for decades.

Old 06-08-13, 06:54 PM
I think it was Frontline. It was too long ago for me to be sure.

Old 06-08-13, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
If I understand it correctly......every email, phone call, text ......basically any public communication is scanned for key words. If those key words pop up then then the communication is further analyzed. If it meets certain criteria it is kicked out to an actual agent to be humanly analyzed.

Old 06-09-13, 04:16 AM
Not that I have been following this too closely, but I don't think it is quite like that. They are looking for correlation patterns using the time and location information from the phone call, email, credit card purchase, etc. When they find something of possible interest, they take that to the secret court so they can wiretap and etc.

This NYT article was interesting. It also mentioned the stuff I brought up about the international cables. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/us...exprod=myyahoo

Old 06-09-13, 04:49 AM
In the world of technology, all we will ever hear is old stuff. Even if the axe falls on those involved in the current revelations, the really secret stuff will continue. Remember the embassy Russia built for us we never moved into, bugs. Then the plaque on the presidential (?) wall with a microphone. Or the special pens with transmitters in them. That was all dinosaur technology. Today they can probably listen with greater clarity from a satellite 100 miles overhead, who knows.

Do we really think the CIA, the FBI, and the NSA are the really secret organizations? Far from it!

Bud