UPS delivery

Old 07-03-13, 05:45 PM
UPS delivery

I was supposed to receive a package today via UPS. I have been home all day (and awake) yet I never heard a knock at the door. No, I haven't had the TV, radio, stereo or other noisemaker on.

I checked my porch around 4:30 and no package, not really unusual since UPS deliveries are often as late as 5:30 in my neighborhood. Then I checked the tracking and it stated that a delivery attempt had been made but there was no answer. Well, that got my ire up so I go to the UPS website and look for a way to complain. It took several attempts but i finally find the live chat and I connect up with an agent. I tell him my story and he replies that it is up to the discretion of the driver as to whether or not make the delivery. I told the chat agent there was no reason not to make the delivery as UPS has been leaving packages on my doorstep for all of the thirteen years I have lived here. There are no free roaming dogs, my door cannot be seen from the street, the porch is protected from the weather (not that we have had any rain or snow for over a week) and there was no notice on my door.

The agent then says he is going to contact my local delivery station and that they will call me within an hour. They call about 30 minutes later and I again explain my position. This man says he will call the driver to see if he is still in my area. He calls back stating that the driver said there was a big black dog in my yard and that is why no package or notice. I know that a couple of my neighbors do have dogs but they are never free roaming. I tell this to the man and add that, of course, I wasn't sitting on the street when the driver (allegedly) came by so I cannot state as absolute fact that there was no dog.

He gives me the option of coming to the station to pick up my package and I say no, I paid for delivery to my house, why should I have to drive several miles to get my package? So I now have to wait another two days. Some things just irritate me to pieces.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-13, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
Next time ........ keep your big black dog tied up in the backyard.

You know Furd......if it was pouring out and just on the edge of a monsoon.....your package would have been sitting out there in the rain.

Old 07-03-13, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Perhaps there was a stray dog in your yard? Perhaps the driver mis-read the address and tried to deliver to the wrong place (it's happened to me twice...I got someone elses stuff). Perhaps the label info was incorrect (it's happened once when the sending company added the last 4 digits which put the address 35 miles away).

Perhaps...there are more important things to be upset about if this has only happened once in 13 years (reading between the lines there)?

Old 07-03-13, 06:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Man, that's low! I go all out to make sure there are no excuses for non delivery. My drive (1/4 mile) is kept scraped smooth: I built a drive loop at the house; at the crest of the loop, I put a weatherproof dock box in case the weather is bad and we aren't home; Signed a card with UPS stating they can leave packages in the box unsigned for; and make it a point to meet the UPS people when I can.

I get antsy sometimes at 6pm when I am waiting on an important package (Friday night, usually), when in the distance I can hear them comin'. I have even had them find me on jobsites around town (Truck is difficult not to see), and they will leave packages in my truck.

I feel for ya, pardner!!

Old 07-03-13, 06:04 PM
Nope and nope. My "dog" is a real *****cat that will run from anyone but me. The driver was the regular on this route and he delivers to my house about every four to six weeks. The label, as read via the tracking statement by the UPS agent was correct and the company sending the package is one I have done business with for years.

As for "more important things to be upset about" I demand my god-given right as an American to gripe and moan about anything and everything under the sun.

Oh, good grief! Silly auto censor won't allow the P word that used to refer to a cat.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14683[/ATTACH]

She growls like a dog, barks like a dog, stinks like a dog and chases raccoons off the back porch but she is also scared to death of any human but me.

Old 07-03-13, 08:38 PM
Furd do you have a UPS store nearby? I know you paid for delivery and you should have home delivery. Just asking though in case you ever have to have your package redirected. I also subscribe to a service that UPS offers that you only pay for if they have to redirect your package in another delivery. I can't think of its name now and only used it once as I didn't want a package I was expecting to be left on the porch while I was at a doctors appointment. I think the charge was only a dollar and to me it was well worth the cost. Anyway with the service you can have it held at the UPS store or delivered to your house at another time.

Old 07-03-13, 09:04 PM
I have had this issue with fedex a couple times. one time they failed to deliver it 2 days in a row kept saying no one home. Sometimes I wonder if the drivers get lazy and just want to go home early.

Old 07-04-13, 03:20 AM
I too have had problems with Fedex just not finding my house for some odd reason and it is easy enough to find. Thought I would post this video that CNN had on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM3SRG7D21Y Most probably remember seeing some of the same video of both UPS and Fedex drivers throwing packages. There is also on this video a big semi owned by Fedex that has a box stuck to its front grill. Now how that happened and why the truck driver didn't know about it is beyond me. Anyway I thought it would add to the conversation.

Old 07-04-13, 03:36 AM
Only one I've had trouble with is FedEx.
At the front of the house there is no walkway, no driveway. At the back is where the cars are parked and is really the main entrance. Both sides of the house are just off of a dirt road, and the driver has to turn and go right past the back entrance.
For some reason they always leave the package at the front door, never ring the door bell, and often leave what every it is out in the pouring rain.
The one time they did come to the back door was when they were delivering a water softener.
It was laying on it's side despite all the arrows on the box saying this side up. The whole top of the box was crushed and opened, and the whole box was soaking wet.

Old 07-04-13, 03:42 AM
I'll take your non-delivery vs. what UPS did to us.
Was just before Christmas and the wife had a big order of GPS units (and update kits) coming in for her online store. It was mild and snowing a lot.
I got home to find 3 big brown paper wrapped boxes (the normal shipping/mailing paper stuff) sitting in the snow on my front steps. That was around $2k worth of GPS units getting wet. Oh, and it was a signature required package. Apparently the driver signed for us.

Old 07-04-13, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think it has more to do with the drivers than the delivery company. My driveway is a long windy road up the side of the hill. While I wouldn't expect them to come up the driveway in bad weather, there is no good reason for them not to come up in dry conditions.

The drivers that come to the top never have any issues and often comment on the view or ask what the road is like when it snows but many leave my package on the neighbor's porch. A few will bring it back to their store claiming I live on an unpassable road. When I tell them that's bull, the next driver brings it to my front door and has snide remarks about the previous driver.

I used to have the same issues with the electric meter reader but they were on a quota system and would by pass driveways like mine to save time. They installed a digital meter several yrs ago that they can read electronically so I no longer have to pay estimated bills

Old 07-04-13, 04:15 AM
For the same reason as Marksr, FedEx doesn't send the big box truck up my drive. They always deliver in small vans. Wifey orders her dogs' favorite dry food online (free shipping), and they ship it FedEx. Our delivery girl weighs in at about 100 lbs. The package weighs in a little over 50 lbs. She insists on bringing it through the gate to the back porch and leaving it under the eave on clear days. I tell her to just leave it in the box at the loop, but she says she needs the exercise

Mail carrier, too, won't leave me a large package notice (requiring a trip to the PO the next day). He will bring them up the drive and leave them on my ZTR under the carport. Yes, ZTR has its space in the carport because my work truck is too big.

Old 07-04-13, 11:06 AM
Furd do you have a UPS store nearby?
Several within a roughly ten mile radius. The UPS station is maybe fifteen miles away. But, no, I will not pay extra to have the package re-routed. I'm retired and mostly home. I check the estimated delivery as soon as possible so I know to stay home that day until the package arrives.

I have had this issue with fedex a couple times.
I had this problem recurring with FedEx. I needed to ship something back and and FedEx was supposed to deliver a shipping carton. It was an empty carton and they would NOT leave it without a signature. They would not even leave it when I gave written authorization. I did finally get it and the games started with the pick-up. They wanted me to leave it on my porch but no way was I going to leave a laptop computer on my porch all day long just hoping that they would actually come pick it up. The driver would leave notes on my door that she tried to do the pick-up but no one was home. On the third day (after calling and complaining) I was walking past the door when I heard a "tap, tap, tap". I opened the door and there she was. I asked her why she had not used the doorbell and got a blank expression. Then I asked her if she really expected me to hear the light tapping on the door and why she didn't knock loudly? Do these people think I camp out just inside the door?

My driveway is paved and the house is just sixty feet +/- from the paved street. It is inside the city limits. My front door cannot be seen from the street due to elevation and trees. I do have a covered porch so rain is not an issue. My driveway is only moderately sloped, many far steeper ones just up the street Traffic is not an issue as I live at the end of a cul-de-sac. Normally I have no complaints with my UPS deliveries other than I never know when they will happen on the appointed day. I have had deliveries made before noon and as late as 5:30 in the afternoon. UPS almost always rings the doorbell when leaving a package. They have never required a signature in this neighborhood unless the shipper requests. There are only two possible reasons for the non-delivery yesterday, there really was a large aggressive-looking dog or the driver simply wanted to complete the route as fast as possible to go home and prepare for the holiday. Since I have never seen any large OR aggressive dogs in the immediate area I kind of think the latter was the reason.

Old 07-06-13, 06:11 AM
Another two days before they reattempt? Why don't they come back the following day?

Old 07-06-13, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Drooplug, Look at the date of the OP. It was July 3rd. UPS was off on the 4th so it would be the 5th before they would return.

Old 07-06-13, 02:46 PM
Exactly right, Dixie!

They did return on Friday and not only delivered the original package but a second one that I hadn't expected until Monday.

So all is well in the world until the next time my short fuse blows.

Old 07-12-13, 08:33 PM
I hate getting deliveries from UPS and Fed Ex...They once showed up at 10 p.m. I'm not entirely sure that's legal, but I was just grateful to get my laptop in working order so I wasn't going to complain.

Old 07-12-13, 11:03 PM
I once had a late delivery too not sure what it was now and it has been a long time ago now. I think the weather was about to change and have snow fall the next day but I am not certain. I had looked all day for my packages and then looked at my e-mail and they said they had been delivered. The dumb delivery man though put them in my driveway. It was under my carport so the contents would have been partially protected but definitely not where I wanted them. Luckily everything was there and I didn't have to make a claim. Since then I haven't had that happen again. I had forgotten about that until I read your post Yeele.

Old 07-13-13, 09:09 PM
I had ordered a LCD TV that was sent via fedex and when it finally arrived after 9:30PM it was the wrong TV they dropped off, At first I thought wally world sent me the wrong TV as it was bigger then the one I ordered so when I checked the packing slip to make sure they didn't charge me for it I found fedex had dropped off the Wrong TV. They delivered the correct TV the next day again after 10PM and I handed the wrong tv off to the driver.

Old 07-14-13, 08:28 PM
It seems like UPS and FEDEX have more to worry about and that is some companies using their own shipping service. I found this little article on AOL after signing out of my free AOL web mail account New E-Commerce Strategies Threaten UPS, FedEx . I already know they have new competition in a company called Lasership. I don't feel too bad for them as they are both better than USPS which has been struggling with its own issues lately such as closing some post offices.

Search this Thread