Wedding gift public rants/flaming (heard on the radio)

Old 07-05-13, 06:24 AM
Wedding gift public rants/flaming (heard on the radio)

On the drive into work this morning, they were talking on the radio about a bride who (apparently not the first to do this) publicly ranted about the low cash gift someone gave her as a wedding gift. She apparently named them by name and complained that the $50 cash gift (from this couple) was not enough to even cover their plate at the reception.
The radio personnel then went on to poll listeners on what is an appropriate wedding gift value these days.

Personally, my thoughts are you give what you can give, without setting yourself into debt. If a handshake and a "Congrads" is the best you can do, it's as good as a check with 3 zeros before the decimal place.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but at our wedding, we had no expectation of breaking even on wedding gifts.
Attending our wedding, partying a bit too hard that night, and looking like a pile of crap the next day was our (my) expectations and to be honest, I was more than pleased. Some of us maybe partied too hard and still looked like crap the next week. I should mention, myself (family and friends) are all from Northern Ontario Canada and the wife (family and friends) are from Nova Scotia. Mix these two groups in Cape Breton NS and you're in for a good night and a rough morning.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-13, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, there's only two letters difference between "CLASS" and another word, which she apparently took on as her neck charm.

Old 07-05-13, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Some people just feel entitled.

My nephew is getting married in Sept and their wedding registry was almost all household stuff like small appliances (some of which were pretty darn pricey!), flatware, linen, etc. I was still kind of irked as they've been living together for almost 5 yrs. He graduated West Point and is a Army officer and she has a degree in Communications and works as a teacher. Shouldn't they have most of that stuff by now?

It's probably from my marriage experiences. 1st one I payed for the whole thing since her Mom was pretty much broke....couldn't even tell you what kind of gifts we got. 2nd was 12yrs later and we took a trip to the Bahamas and got hitched there....no gifts, no parties. 3rd one was a Justice of the Peace.....no gifts and minimal family attendance, as in her step-mom, Aunt, and ex-Bil (who was also my best man....lol...don't ask).

It's kinda one thing when people are young and starting off from scratch and forming a new family/household.....but another when they've been together for years.

If a couple of 50 y/o's get married...should people be putting out the dough for gifts?

Arrrgh...now I'm getting PO'd for some reason....

Old 07-05-13, 06:32 PM
I agree I think some people just feel entitled. Not married myself or otherwise interested but have had many friends and relatives who have been hitched. One friend I had from high school who I hadn't seen in years I bought a gift for on her registry but didn't feel obligated to buy anything expensive for her. Kept in touch for a while as I wanted to know about others from high school and she was sick for a while then I lost touch again which is o.k. as now she is out of the woods.

I know how people can be though who are in wedding parties I once helped cater a wedding that was at the church I attended at the time with my cousin. The people were rude and nasty and it was not an experience I would want to go through again. We had friends at church though that desperately needed our help at the time.

Old 07-05-13, 11:09 PM
1st one I payed for....

2nd was 12yrs later....

3rd one was a Justice of the Peace.....

After my first one I got a dog. Much easier.

It's kinda one thing when people are young and starting off from scratch and forming a new family/household.....but another when they've been together for years.

My thoughts also.

Old 07-05-13, 11:47 PM
After my first one I kept the cat, she was far more of a companion than the wife. I never seriously gave a thought to marriage again.

Old 07-06-13, 04:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've been married twice but don't remember ever getting much in the way of wedding presents ..... but then I've never had a big wedding or reception either, notary republic preformed the 1st one with just a couple of friends/family present and my 2nd marriage was in a city park with just our kids attending. Found out later we were supposed to have gotten a permit to use that small corner of the public park.

IMO wedding presents should be given because you care about the couple getting married. I'd resent being 'told' what to buy [and probably wouldn't] I agree that an older couple shouldn't have [or expect] a big need for a lot of presents.

Old 07-06-13, 04:34 AM
A wedding is about getting married, not getting gifts.

A registry is so you don't get 25 toasters.

The worst gifts are checks that bounce.

Old 07-06-13, 02:07 PM
When I got married (November of 1976) we got mostly stupid things for wedding gifts. Of course part of the problem was the china we picked out was a special order pattern in the US and few places stocked any. Same was true of the silver pattern only more so. The crystal was a special pattern made by a local company and not available anywhere but from that company. People could have given gift certificates but most simply wanted to get us a real object rather than a piece of paper. The result was that we received a covered stainless steel pie server, a hideous pressed glass punch bowl and other things I cannot remember. Both of us figured that many of the gifts were recycled gifts that people prior to us had received.

It has been almost thirty years since Lindsay and I went our separate ways. I really haven't missed her at all during these wonderfully peaceful years.

Old 07-08-13, 04:22 AM
A wedding is about getting married, not getting gifts.

A registry is so you don't get 25 toasters.

The worst gifts are checks that bounce.
So true.

For us, it was cutlery and clocks (even with a registry).

Never had that happen, but I could see it being the worst.

Hard to believe how many folks do this more then once. If it ever came down to it, I wouldn't do it again. Did it once, was fun, if the wife and I ever go our own ways, I'll get a dog.