Something Needs To Change, But What?

Old 07-19-13, 12:16 PM

In light of the recent events in Florida and the resulting turmoil, I thought this article provided some shocking numbers. I think some of the people currently making most of the noise need to reflect a bit and decide just where changes are needed.

If any moderators feel this is beyond the appropriate discussion for this forum, feel free to remove it and accept my apologies. But read the numbers first as I do feel everyone should become part of making changes.

Black America's Real Problem Isn't White Racism

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-13, 01:19 PM
Bud, that article simply reiterated what I have been saying for years.

I live in a area of the country that is considered liberal heaven. About the only state more liberal (I use the current definition, not the classical for liberal and liberalism) than Washington is California. I have seen the moaning of certain "experts" for decades on how skewed our "justice" (really legal) system is against Blacks and other minorities. They always cite the huge imbalance of minorities that are incarcerated way beyond their percentages in the general population. These figures are ALWAYS used as fodder in the mill of pointing out how much people of color have been and continue to be discriminated against.

But as far as I am aware NO ONE ever stops to think that maybe, just maybe, the huge imbalance of Blacks incarcerated is because SOME Blacks simply commit more crimes totally out of proportion to the ration of Blacks in society at large. It is a taboo subject to even mention and will get you branded as a racist as quickly as using the "N" word. The strangest part is that when I have raised the question with my Black friends, co-workers and acquaintances they pretty much agree with me. I won't say that I have lots and lots of Black acquaintances but I suspect they are pretty much in line with the general divisions in society.

Old 07-19-13, 01:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This thread will get bombed, so get ready. Regarding the Florida incident, which by the way, has no national implications, would there be as much of a reaction had Mr. Martin been white and Mr. Zimmerman been black? Oakland California is the protest capital of the nation, in case you haven't noticed. Where were the first throw down, window breaking, business killing demonstrations???? Oakland. These are professional protestors. They obviously don't work for a living. Could any of you who work for a living take time off to "protest"?? I have a feeling your boss would say, "sure, just don't come back".

11,000 black men have been killed in Chicago since the Martin/Zimmerman incident. 93% were black on black. Where does that take us?

Now King Obama is inserting his opinion (badly) into the foray. His opinions on this have no bearing and should not be expressed. I have never heard of a President stooping so low as to delve into local or state actions. It isn't in his purview of office, and he should keep his opinion to himself.

Politics don't belong in this matter.

Old 07-19-13, 01:57 PM
I read the report on our presidents impromptu press conference and his comments of viewing life through the eyes of the minority and I will admit I have been guilty of changing sides of the street or locking my door when someone I feel is questionable comes walking by. But you know, the black folks I have known would admit to doing the same.

But those numbers are beyond what the black or other minority communities can change on their own. Some will claim we haven't improved a lot since the 60's, but I lived through those years and from my perspective we have changed a LOT, a whole lot. That doesn't mean more changes aren't in order, but moving forward from here should be a lot easier than the 60's. Those numbers have to be discussed, improvements found, and changes made. Trayvon Martin should not have died, but maybe he shouldn't have been wearing a hoodie and trying to look like someone others might not trust. If I put on a mask and walk into a bank, people are not going to be comfortable. So, even though I have a perfect right to wear that mask, I choose not to. Hoodies are just another mask.

Bud

Old 07-19-13, 02:17 PM
Admin Emeritus
My Two Cents

Race and/or skin color is not and should not be the issue......:NO NO NO:

We need to release most criminals of any race! Making more room in prisons for WHITE collar criminals (Guys & Gals) and other WHITE crooks! Those whom steal our money, take money for political favors, special treatments, etc. Banking, finance, wall street, elected and non elected leaders etc.

When have any of them gone to jail????

When has an elected leader convicted of a crime or criminal offense while in government ever NOT been pardoned???

The power to commit crimes legally is with the pen... Not the gun!!!......:NO NO NO:

Old 07-19-13, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

November 4, 2008 "change" was the slogan for our commander in chief... I know what needs to change... What a waste of 8 years.......

There should have been no comment from Mr. Obama regarding this trial...period...

I have more to say but I am not going there... I could get in trouble....

Just my opinion of course....

Old 07-19-13, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Larry...I think your numbers are a bit off. In all of 2012 the city reported 411 total homicides of all types.

I won't get in to the rest of the discussion....my BP is already too high.

Old 07-19-13, 03:12 PM
You're right Vic. Two problems, my source was quoting murders for 2 years (2011 and 2012) and my fat fingers hit the one key too many times. There were, according to the source, about 935 murders in the two years in Chicago. Thanks for the catch.

Old 07-19-13, 03:15 PM
I didn't hear the presidents latest comments on the subject but did hear his earlier comments of which I agreed too "Now is the time to stay calm now is not the time to act rash this is an emotional time to be sure" or words to that effect.

I think Bill Cosby himself said it best "if we as black people want respect we have to earn it and that means stopping all of these complaints about how the white man put us down". "We put ourselves down every day and that has to stop if we are to ever get anywhere". "Every day we kill our brothers and sisters and that has to stop ladies and gentlemen or we will no longer exist". Bill Cosby. My memory isn't as sharp as it should be so I may be misquoting him some but that is about right.

Those words are not the only words and actions though that I have seen from black people. I saw the same things from a community called Lakeland. If you look for Lakeland on a map look in College Park Maryland and you will find it. It isn't as big a community as it used to be because of hurricane Agnes and the fact that the Army Corps Of Engineers had to take some land in order to dredge a creek and make it wider. It is still an area that houses mainly black people who moved there long ago.

Oh the community has changed some there are a few Asians there now and there is an Asian catholic church there where there wasn't one before the flood. All of the people there though are as nice as can be and would help you out if you had problems. They are also not the type of people who would steal and if you asked them would agree with Bill Cosby that their brother as they call other men of their race was right. Myself I don't see this as a black or white issue but rather a matter of right or wrong.

I know when forced busing started I one of the other white boys went out with the protesters but not to protest the black kids going to my school but rather to try to get them all back in school. I wanted my fellow students to understand that these were just fellow human beings who were forced into doing something they were not comfortable with too. I also ate with the black kids and was taunted by my fellow white kids but I didn't care. I lost track of the black friends I made then and to me that is a shame but I will never forget them and to me they will always be my friends.

So who was at fault as far as George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin are concerned? I say both were at fault George Zimmerman wasn't a cop and was even told by police dispatch to not pursue Trayvon Martin and Trayvon Martin wasn't some innocent boy either he apparently experimented with drugs. He also it appears hit George Zimmerman and knocked him down and then proceeded to hit George Zimmerman's head on concrete. Did George Zimmerman maybe cause Trayvon Martin to fear for his life with perhaps a gun being drawn ahead of time? We probably will never know the whole truth but just know that the whole thing was a tragedy in many ways.

Old 07-19-13, 03:30 PM
Did George Zimmerman maybe cause Trayvon Martin to fear for his life with perhaps a gun being drawn ahead of time
In close combat, if a weapon is drawn, your attention goes to that weapon, not banging someone's head to the ground, ignoring the weapon's presence. I don't think the weapon came out until the end of the incident.

It was tragic. MNM and politicians are jumping on the band wagon for their own gain. What has anyone heard on the many murders in Chicago over the last year. Absolutely nothing. Why not? Is it not expedient? Not important? Not politically exciting? Not newsworthy?

Old 07-19-13, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Here is the change America needs... Although over a yr old interview I recommend watching all parts ...

Bill Cosby himself said it best
Did not bill Cosby do fat Albert??? And bought the rights to the little rascals???? It goes deeper with him IMO.......

This is part one... You could all find the rest.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fyW8JqXHIw

Old 07-19-13, 06:05 PM
Ah, I hadn't heard of the Chicago shootings until 2 days ago!!! Why exactly did this not make headline news?? As far as I know there are still killers out there. I wish the media would get their eggs in a row and report on the important matters rather than dragging things on...

Old 07-19-13, 06:54 PM
I don't think the weapon came out until the end of the incident.
I agree Larry but I was also thinking how the prosecution thought about the incident. In any case he was allowed to carry the gun he had for protection and was so acquitted by a jury of his peers. After I made my quote by the way from Bill Cosby I also found out that he more or less is blaming the gun on the incident. It wasn't the gun it was the person who shot the gun whom the authorities prosecuted. The jury has spoken so the case is over but the debate will undoubtedly continue.

I personally don't think that a person who is patrolling as a neighborhood watch person should have had a gun. The guidelines from different police forces even discourage community patrols from carrying a gun and tell people on patrol don't take action yourself call the police. That being said though sometimes you don't have time to call the police as there is an emergency. Was there an emergency that night no not right away and it was also the reason why they prosecuted George Zimmerman. As I see it there is a judge who is far mightier than the one Zimmerman saw in court and he will ultimately decide if there is to be any further judgement when the time comes.

I agree too I think that there has been too much emphasis on this case. I think now is the time that they start talking about other things more important and politics needs to stay out of this issue.

Old 07-19-13, 07:30 PM
Two quick comments. One of the details from the "detroit files for bankruptcy" was that due to limited budgets the response to a 911 call will be one hour. Maybe the Zimmermans (those willing to step up and protect our neighborhoods) need better training, but I think we need more of them.

The other thought is, if you lined up 1,000 people with various backgrounds who all wanted to speak about the Zimmerman case, it would be the media who decides who gets the microphone. "Tonight's news has been carefully organized and edited to present you with what we think you should hear, Good Night!"

Bud

Old 07-20-13, 03:43 AM
Picked this up off wifey's FB page. Odd statistics at best.

Name:  pie.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  12.0 KB

Old 07-20-13, 03:56 AM
That looks about what I have heard myself Larry and looks correct. Most crime that Black people commit interestingly is against other Black people. I have never seen it in a pie chart like that but have definitely heard of it being talked about that way. The worst perpetrators too at times can be the ones who are supposed to protect us the cops themselves. Of course police departments try to screen out bad applicants but some always seem to sneak by.

Old 07-20-13, 10:42 AM
Admin Emeritus

Interesting facts in the pie chart Larry. Thanks...

IMO.
More prison space is needed for White folks whom commit crimes on anybody and especially for those whom commit white collar crimes....

One of the details from the "Detroit files for bankruptcy" was that due to limited budgets...
It's no secret. Lack of dollars at state, county and city levels. Our trade policies & de-regulation caused the entire decline. There and elsewhere in our country. And some of elected leaders know this as FACT!!!

Industry and manufacturing moved out of Detroit. And across the entire USA. Creating huge job losses, high un-employment and a huge lack of a payroll tax base. Plus the lack of spendable dollars left over after all earned income was spent on necessities. Can't do business with people whom have no $$$.

Excessive taxes on wage earners too!. The rich get richer while the rest of us get poorer and continue to do so to this very day. Excess spending at all levels of government is also a HUGE portion of the problem. Can't spend more then is taken in...:NO NO NO:

Excellent Point...

I agree too I think that there has been too much emphasis on this case. I think now is the time that they start talking about other things more important and politics needs to stay out of this issue.
IMO, the solution to all of these types of problems and many more begins at the ballot box! Even if you have to hold your nose and vote against your own best interests and or outside of your established party lines.

Solution to what needs to be done and/or something needs to change!
Elected leaders need to pay attention to the ballot box and not the campaign contribution box!!!! A powerful method to get their undivided ATTENTION!!!.........

Old 07-20-13, 11:41 AM
Now King Obama................
:NO NO NO:

Not nice, Larry........................

Old 07-20-13, 12:13 PM
Emperor???? Can't think of a more apt term. President surely doesn't fit. He should never stoop to levels below the most powerful man in the world. Local is local.

Old 07-20-13, 08:56 PM
Local is local
There my friend is where the problem is. When you get ambulance chasers like Sharpton planning protests in 100 cities, according to the local news they did happen, it is far from local. That guy just drools for stuff like this to happen so he can get his mug on TV. John Wayne marathon on AMC plus The Open so I missed the news.

I think what the President was trying to do is maybe calm the storm before we have race riots or whatever. I don't know, just my guess and nobody ever call me Einstein.