member rewards discount

Old 07-26-13, 09:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
member rewards discount

I stopped and got some diet soda while I was in town this morning and along with the receipt they gave me a handful of sales offers that were run off with the receipt. One of the offers was 10% off of your next purchace, of course it excluded clearance and everyday pricing .... WHAT??? So does that mean they only give you the discount on the stuff they have priced higher than normal?

Glad I don't live to shop like my wife - stuff like that might make me pull out what little hair I have left

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-13, 11:35 AM
It doesn't sound like much of a bargain to me either. I gave up on coupons a long time ago it seems like to get a dollar off on something you need to buy five of whatever. So what do you do if you don't need five? Not worth it in my opinion and I have found that those rewards cards too are generally offered by stores that offer poor service or they have very little as far as variety of merchandise is concerned or both of the above.

Old 07-26-13, 12:01 PM
Group Moderator
I would not make a special trip there to use it, but if you are in the store anyway, whip that sucker out. (the coupon ) You might get the 10% off anyway.

Old 07-26-13, 12:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't shop there often but my wife does - that's the main reason I looked at the offers. Unless prompted by the cashier I'm apt to forget I have the rewards card, she gets and uses all the points. Now my autozone card is another story, I always try to use it because 5 purchases of $20 or more gets me a $20 store credit

Old 07-26-13, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
I wonder if that's not a misprint? I often see it say excludes clearance and sale items. Doesn't make sense the way it reads now.

Old 07-26-13, 12:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree it doesn't make sense. I'm not overly fond of that particular store [my wife's favorite] and only went because they had my favorite diet tea on sale ..... but sold out

Old 07-26-13, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Out here we have Safeway and they have multiple levels of rewards. They also sell gas cheap and grocery purchases count for money off. $1 spent means 1 point, 100 points means $.10 off per gallon. Lately they've started a "Just 4 U" program that can save a lot off even the stuff that is discounted for regular card holders. You have to go online and select the offers you want, but it also allows you to print a shopping list. 2 times in the last 2 weeks, one of my offers is an additional $.20 off per gallon. Just spend $20 in one visit. I shop for the 30-50% off items and only things we need and I'm usually able to save a LOT each visit. Heck...just the other day 1lb of roasted almonds, normally $7.99, on sale with a card for $6.99, with my J4U offer, $4.49 ea. Many similar offers. Lunch meats and such in the discount bin, also on sale 2 for 1, plus J4U offers.... sometimes I've paid $1 for 10oz of honey ham. I buy it all and throw it in the freezer.

Of course they track my purchases and all...and I don't care when I can save $40 on a $70 purchase.

No clue what the everyday pricing exclusion would be.

Old 07-26-13, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Our local grocery store has a fuel rewards program where you can get 10 cents off per gallon if you spend so much in groceries. I used the rewards filling up the truck the other day, and the receipt came out that I saved..............$1.34. I was breathless. I could buy a pack of gum or something with the savings

All gimmicks.

Old 07-26-13, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
Hey....$.30 per gallon is worth it when I time wifeys fill ups right. I buy stuff I want or need and save $3-4 or so when I fill her car for the week.

Old 07-26-13, 06:57 PM
Sounds like the discount on gas thing is popular around the country. We have that with Stop & Shop here. They don't have pumps at the store so you have to go to a participating station. And you need the credit card sized club card from the store. The key chain tags don't do it. I think they modified how it works, but it would drop points you earned older than 30 days. At $.50 per gallon discount, it wasn't so bad. Although, the station that does it is 10 cents more per gallon than the other ones net to it.

Old 07-26-13, 07:59 PM
I think we have a Vons card for the sheer fact that it gives us .20 for every gallon of gas we pump at a Chevron. Chevron isn't the best price on gas most of the time though and Vons certainly isn't the best price for..anything. I guess eventually when we shop there we might have a slight discount...or at least we could only hope.

Old 07-27-13, 03:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We also have some grocery stores with the cents off of gas incentives. The one with the most off also usually has the highest grocery prices so we don't get to use it too much. Another one across town gives you 3 cents off for just swiping their card and their gas prices are usually as low or lower than the competition. But Larry is right, while we all want to save money on gas, the pennies don't add up very fast.

Old 07-27-13, 07:07 AM
Admin Emeritus

Out my way there are no grocery stores with gasoline stations... I am aware of. Except Wal-Mart gas stations in some areas only. Big Oil some how maintains it's hold on gasoline service stations... Many gas stations due have the so called "convenience" (junk foods?) stores. They also carry some name brand food items for quick purchases, etc. Priced slightly higher but there for the conveniences, etc.

None of the grocery stores offer gas discounts on site nor off site. Reason unknown but likely due to the hold big oil has in this state on gasoline everywhere. This state cannot even import it from neighboring states when there is so called "shortages."....

Our large and/or nationwide grocery (food) chain stores, even though they have different names country wide, are slowly phasing out of the discount cards. Instead, they use the so called discount pricing method. Price label on the shelf might say 10 cans for $10.00 but you need not buy 10. Each can still be a buck each....

Around here in southern ca we have the 99 cent stores, the big lots and a very few other low price leaders. Selling mostly off name brands for those whom name does not matter. Name brands usually are bought by them from chains going out of business or manufacturers end lots not to be made any longer, excess inventories, etc.

Old 08-06-13, 06:56 AM
With the amount of driving I do for work (100 miles a day, x 5 days), I try to stay with the same chain of gas stations. The particular one offers a paper store money which can be used in their hardware/department store.
With their multiplier coupons, this store money does add up. The wife bought my oldest son's bike this spring, using only the store money.

The store rewards are only really work anything if you are consistant. Having a rewards card for every store or gas bar is pretty useless.