what a day!

Old 07-30-13, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
what a day!

I expected to have an easy morning. I needed to change the oil in my stepson's jeep and rotate the tires. Went to install the oil filter and realized I picked up the wrong one - so off to town to exchange it for the right one. Oil change done and with 2 floor jacks, rotating the tires should be a breeze but the right rear had other plans, 2 studs broke and the end of 2 others had mushroomed out preventing the removal of the nuts. I didn't think I'd ever get those 2 lug nuts off

Back to town to get new lugs/nuts. An easy morning job took all morning and half the afternoon

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-13, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Nothing simple ever goes simply.

Hopefully he was there helping?

Old 07-30-13, 04:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, I was on my own .... but it's better that way. He shares the same mechanical aptitude as his mama

Old 07-30-13, 07:57 PM
I know the feeling. We went to get our oil changed by a "professional" for the first time in a long time. The damaged our plug so we were leaking, they lied and said the transmission fluid was leaking. Disaster. Will never be lazy about changing my own oil again.

Old 07-31-13, 03:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've only paid to have my oil changed once. A local service station had a $2 oil/filter change special [it was a long time ago ] and there was 2' of snow on the ground. They did the work, I paid them and went to my job. Later in the day someone came in and said my car was leaking oil ..... but it never did before. Lost 2 qts while at work and had to add another 2 qts to get back to the station in the morning. They had cross threaded the plug

They refused to reimburse me for the oil I had to add and I had to buy a new wrench to fit the self tapping plug they used [larger head than the original plug] Needless to say - I've done all my own oil changes since - no matter what the weather conditions were!

Old 07-31-13, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I too have been lazy in the past, just taking my truck to have the oil changed. I asked myself "why"? You can almost walk under it anyway Not really, but no jacking required. I did learn a valuable lesson.....you have to get a much larger container for a Cummins....11 quarts of oil! Filter is easy, so why not do it myself? Save a bunch of money that way, too, as most oil change places charge extra for all oil over 5 quarts, at a rate of $5 per quart or more.

Old 07-31-13, 04:51 AM
Simple Automotive jobs always work out like that for me for some reason.

A number of years ago (10yrs or so) I use to rent a room to a college student. Her older sister stopped by for a visit and while parked out front, her rear tire went flat.
Me being me (and a garage full of tools), limped the car around to the garage to put on the donut and make sure she was good to go.
2 hours plus, under her car, 2x4 and mini sludgehammer trying to get that damn tire to come off the hub. The whole time sweating buckets thinking what kind of guy can't change a tire with all the tools on hand. The tire was way beyond needing replacing btw.
Found out later, the tire was as it was because her boyfriend couldn't get the tire off to change it. Would have been nice to know at the time.

Old 07-31-13, 06:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mike, you didn't say - did you succeed? ..... or have to walk off with your tail tucked between your legs

Old 07-31-13, 06:32 AM
Mike, you didn't say - did you succeed? ..... or have to walk off with your tail tucked between your legs
I got it off.
PBBlaster quivilant (can't remember the exact brand), a piece of 2x4, mini-sludgehammer and a whole lot of quiet cursing. I coated that hub thick with anti-seize when I put the donut on.
Was pissed and frustrated that I struggled with a simple task.
Didn't help that the girl stayed and watched the entire time. Hard to hide the fact I was beating on the 2x4 that was across the inside of the rim, as close to the hub as possible.

Discovered after the fact that if you jack the car up, place an angled piece (I have a brick) under the tire and lower the car with the lugs loose, that it will normally pry the tire loose (with some PBBlaster soaked in). Much safer then the other solution I've seen of loosening the lugs and then driving around the block

Old 07-31-13, 08:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd never drive with loose lug nuts I have dropped the jack before to loosen them but often turning around and kicking the tire like a mule will get the wheel loose. I used to have a jeep cherokee and it's aluminum rims were bad to stick.

Ever notice that normally no one's around when you do something spectacular but there is always an audience when you mess up

I used to always use CRC but when I moved to tenn I always had a hard time finding it .... so I started using PB Blaster and like it just as well, maybe more

Old 07-31-13, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Ah, you retired people....

I plan to change my oil and rotate my tires tomorrow night after work