Passing on a Big Thank You

Old 08-06-13, 11:57 AM
Passing on a Big Thank You

Over the past couple weeks, I've been helping a young couple move forward through the many ongoing projects in their 100yrs old house. With all the surprises and cost of contractors, they were looking for a bit of help and or guidance through some basic items.

So over the last couple weeks, I spent a night or two in town at their place, showing them basic skills (preparing copper pipe and soldering it, installing interior non-load walls, etc), the kind of stuff we as moderators and forum members do virtually online through this forum.

Well... This morning I found two gift cards on my desk at work this morning (I work with one of them). Trying to give them back (I know how expensive new home ownership can be, specially with so many renos on the go, etc), she explained to me that they both can now solder pipe (even with a few beer). Each connection they make going forward is equal to a $150 plumber call (they had to call one this winter to fix a cracked solder spot).

Anyway... I thought I would pass on the thank you to the forum moderators and members (can't share the gift cards).
I've expanded my knowledge greatly since joining this forum in search of boiler info just under two years ago. This has also proven time and time again to be the go to place for historical information on construction items and home renos.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-13, 12:18 PM
Mike, helping others, be it on the forum or in their homes, can be extremely rewarding. I started my energy auditing business by volunteering anywhere and everywhere I could. One very good place for any skill set is through one of the senior organizations. Believe me, getting old can leave people very dependent on others. Too many stories to share here, but thanks for sharing yours.

Bud

Old 08-06-13, 12:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
So, you're not inviting us to come up and help you spend the gift cards?

Personally, I find helping out on the forums to be rewarding by itself ...... and it's a lot easier to give someone advice with the job they have at hand than to do the actual work learning a little bit along the way is pretty neat too

Old 08-06-13, 12:32 PM
I definitely enjoy helping others and in this case, wasn't expecting anything in return. They put me up for the few days each week, fed me way better than I would have eaten (family is out of the province, supper goes in microwave...) and always made sure there was a cold beer within arm's reach.
The reward was the eagerness to learn from both people. We didn't accomplish as much as I had wanted or hoped, but they learned a lot (and burned through a couple copper fittings).

Marksr... The what tool to buy threads will be coming soon.

Old 08-06-13, 09:11 PM
Group Moderator
I do a lot of the same work. Trust me.....they wont take the cards back. You will have to keep them and thank them for them. (whew......too many thems) I've tried giving cards back and the people get insulted.

You taught them a lot and saved them a lot.

Old 08-06-13, 10:37 PM
I remember the house you are talking about Mike you were wondering about the plumbing and whether it looked right to others. I am no plumber myself but could see what you saw and some of it wasn't too nice. It sounds like you were able to accomplish maybe more than you thought you had. I would have given you gift cards too if I had lived there.

I agree about learning more about things only for more me it has been about computers and networking. In return too I have enjoyed giving what information I have to help others. It was what I was taught growing up if someone helps you you need to try to help them in return and it is what I see here every day! People helping others!

Old 08-07-13, 05:15 AM
In all honesty, their hospitality more then paid for my time and teaching. I almost feel I owe them for my stay (did save me ~$20 a day in fuel not driving home). When I picked up the tools I brought over, my nearly depleated roll of solder had been replaces, as well as the flux and a few other consumables. I did switch the new bottle of ABS glue back for my old one. They are going to use it up long before I'd ever need it.
Above and beyond all though, the eagerness to learn and try really made the whole thing worth while.

hedgeclippers,
That would be the place I was working at.
I couldn't do too much about the buried PEX without busting up all the concrete floor, but was able to tuck it better. We also relocated a bunch of copper, added in a couple missing valves (ball valves for outside water connections) and dry fitted the tub drain.
There are a few things I'm still not crazy about, but didn't get a chance to address.

Old 08-08-13, 06:14 PM
I was wondering what you could do with that Pex too it was so deeply buried. I thought there wasn't any shut off inside from the pictures you included. Glad you used ball valves they are much better compared to the standard valve.

Old 08-09-13, 03:41 AM
After dealing with all the stuck and leaking gate valves in my place, it's only ball valves from here on in for me. They are also nice for quick closing/opening as you only need to go 1/4 turn instead of 4-5 turns.