headstone adhesive

Old 08-09-13, 09:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
headstone adhesive

Wasn't sure where to post this but figured this was as good as any

We went to the graveyard this morning and my wife noticed on her grandparents headstone that the 2 marble vases were no longer attached to granite headstone. Anyone know what type of adhesive I'd need to get to 'glue' them back in place?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-13, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
I would think PL or Liquid Nail adhesive for landscape blocks would work.

Old 08-09-13, 10:10 AM
I have had good success with a dab of silicone adhesive on a large granite family headstone and it seems to hold for at least 5 or 10 years in our variable climate.

I checked near-by Jewish cemetery where the added stones/pebbles to the top of headstones after visits and is was what was normally used.

Dick

Old 08-09-13, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
If you want it to really stick there are two part epoxies intended specifically to structurally bond stones and concrete. It will probably not be available at your local home center since it's most often used in commercial construction. Here are a few that popped up when I searched:

http://www.laticrete.com/Portals/0/d...ts/lds6790.pdf
Anchor Epoxy

Old 08-09-13, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Of course I think we are all assuming these are on the top surface?

Old 08-09-13, 12:38 PM
Gunguy -

Yes, on the top of a curved high(3ft) highly polished granite family headstone. Been there for 5 or 6 years in all weather.

Dick

Old 08-09-13, 02:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This particular headstone is granite and pretty much lays flush with the ground. It has a marble vase on each side. I don't know for sure how old the stone is but they both died in the 40's. The strange thing is while you can tell exactly where the vases were originally, there is no evidence of any type of adhesive either on the granite or the bottom of the vases.

I'll probably go with one of the adhesives in a caulking tube - that should be the easiest to use and easiest to find.