Free 3-month trial

Old 08-29-13, 01:31 AM
Free 3-month trial

I received an interesting bit of junk snail mail the other day. It is a card 10-1/2 by 6 inches and in big red letters states FREE 3-MONTH TRIAL Then:

GET A 3-MONTH FREE TRIAL OF THE ONSTAR SAFETY AND COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM.

Just push the blue ONStar button in your GM vehicle and start...

Trouble is, I have NEVER owned a GM vehicle. I used to say on a regular basis I would rather eat dirt than own a Chevy. Well, I am sure that many of you are thinking it must be sent to Occupant but no, it has my full name, including middle initial (which I never use), and my correct address.

Strange, very strange.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-13, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator
The government is tracking you Joel... Its a type of subliminal message to you... You will own a chevy soon...

Better put the tinfoil hat on or they will get you...

Heck I have chevys....

Old 08-29-13, 06:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can purchase an OnStar unit for a non-GM vehicle. An aftermarket add-on not necessarily a built in unit. However, pushing the button to find details before purchasing the unit will be putting the cart before the horse.....

Old 08-29-13, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Might just be a sales pitch, to get you interested in buying a GM. I agree, it's the subliminal message thing.

I had a call a couple of months ago, from an insurance company, saying they were responding to my request. Never made any request.

Old 08-29-13, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Might want to check your credit report. Maybe you just don't KNOW that you bought a Chevy recently.

Old 08-29-13, 12:52 PM
Vic, I know where all my money is held and I know that neither I nor anyone else has accessed it to buy a new car. I'm quite sure that Shadeladie hit it squarely and it is just wishful thinking on the part of OnStar marketing.

I also received one of those letters that give the impression of coming from a major airline telling me that I have "won" two tickets to anywhere in the US. All I have to do is call the number to learn the details. No, I am not calling.

Old 08-29-13, 01:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Furd, I think what Vic is saying is to check your credit report to make sure no one has stolen your identity

Most every month I get an offer from Charter even thought they continue to say I live at a non serviceable address..... but I'd rather get junk mail than telemarketer calls.

Old 08-29-13, 03:45 PM
Yes, Mark, I understood that. I have credit watch service so I am not too concerned.

Old 08-29-13, 06:43 PM
Heck I have chevys....
How can you hate something as nice as this? Runs like a top with 133k with a heater and A/C that is to die for.

Old 08-29-13, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
How can you hate something as nice as this? Runs like a top with 133k with a heater and A/C that is to die for.
I agree.... Heres mine with the new camper... 1996...

Name:  0829131921-00.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  38.4 KB

Although we dont know what Furd drives... And with that said when did onstar come out??? Also I assume its GM only???? I dont know because that would be useless to me...I hear about it and see it on commercials and such...

I can unlock my own vehicles and get my keys out... And if in an accident I am sure someone will call if they see me drive down a ditch with the camper....LOL

Sometimes when you buy things online they sell your information... Address, name...etc....Its like I had a 03 kia sedona 4 yrs ago and has long been sold... Well I get mailings that all these people want it... dealers and such... How did they know I owned that car... Why do they want it??.. Just to get me to the dealer to buy new I pressume..

But why dont they want my 96 chevy p/u??? I never get a mailing on that...or my 03 olds????

Old 08-29-13, 11:50 PM
How can you hate something as nice as this?
Who wrote anything about hating?

Although we dont know what Furd drives.
Furd currently drives a 1997 Toyota Camry LE. I bought it new and it has somewhere in the neighborhood of 160,000 miles on it. Previous to that car I had a 1996 Dodge Stratus, worst car I ever owned. Before the Stratus I had a 1986 Toyota Camry LE and before that a 1980 Dodge (Mitsubishi) D-50 that I converted to propane. First car I ever owned was a 1974 Fiat 124 Spyder. I sometimes wish I still had the Spyder.

I can unlock my own vehicles and get my keys out... And if in an accident I am sure someone will call if they see me drive down a ditch with the camper.
Me too, even without the camper.

Sometimes when you buy things online they sell your information... Address, name...etc.
No kidding. All too often you don't even need to buy anything as evidenced by the crap in my spam box.

Old 08-30-13, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
I've owned Chevy's since way back when!

Who wrote anything about hating?
I think it was this remark that indicates you hate Chevy's:
I used to say on a regular basis I would rather eat dirt than own a Chevy.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 08-30-13 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-30-13, 09:24 AM
Older Than Dirt :)

I think it was this remark that indicates you hate Chevy's:

No-No-No! Mike wrote "Heck I have Chevys" and I thought it said "Heck I hate Chevys" Even after copy/paste I still didn't catch it till now. I need new glasses.

About this Onstar thingie.....sister asked her car driving distance from Duluth to Ely. Car said "cannot find Twely". Sister said E-L-Y. Sorry, can't find Twely.

Sister said you're stupid. Car said sorry, I get confused but I try.

Seriously, that happened yesterday. The day I get into an argument with my car is the day I quit driving.

Nice camper Mike, but you might wish you had my 350.

Old 08-30-13, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Nice camper Mike, but you might wish you had my 350.
Hmmm.. Not really... I hade an 1988 2500 c/k back in the day with the 6.2 l v8 and that thing only had 126 hp

Im at 190 hp with this 4.3 vortec....

Dont know what year yours is but some of those trucks could not get out of their own way....

Old 08-30-13, 06:13 PM
Well, I guess we'll have to race then. Mine is a 89 and according to the VIN it is 210 hp.

Happy camping!

Old 08-31-13, 03:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Daily driver, 2001 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins 5.9 turbo diesel. 425,000 miles and starts with half a crank every time, pulls what I tell it to pull, and gets 16 mpg, so I'm happy. Still get third party offers for extended warranty.

Trying to make pix small enough to occlude door lettering.

Attachment 17076

Attached Images  
Old 08-31-13, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
You'd get a rash of s$#t if you came up north with that front plate on there....

Old 08-31-13, 10:40 AM
I get that here It is the former Georgia state Flag. It's been replaced by one that looks like Texas. Politics

Old 08-31-13, 11:32 AM
Okay, that's it. It is now official that fifty percent of the posts are off topic. Time to close this thread, maybe even delete the silly thing.

Old 08-31-13, 11:53 AM
You're right, Joel, I don't have onstar, since it is a Dodge, sorry! Wasn't Onstar sort of like a predecessor to the modern day smart phone? Won't smart phones do just as much as Onstar except report a crash? I mean....."hey, Siri, where's McD's?" BAM, you're there.

One thing about Siri, however, she does not recognize Southern English....ie Redneck. Really!!

Old 08-31-13, 12:06 PM
The only thing I know about OnStar is the little I garnered from the television commercials. Mostly what I know is that I don't want one.

Nor do I want a "smart" phone. My sister has one and she tried to have me use it via voice commands to get detailed driving instructions to somewhere. I just handed it back to her and said I didn't have a clue and I couldn't even read the silly screen.