Mistakes and an apology

Old 09-01-13, 02:40 AM
Mistakes and an apology

I have been making a huge number of mistakes i nmy postings as of late. (there is one right there in the first sentence). I would love to blame my keyboard but in truth I think it is the deteriorating neural control in my hands. I apologize for all the misspelled words, the improper capitalization, the split words and other such mistakes.

As for teh () content of my posts, I try to make darn sure I don;t give any false information but contrary to what my daddy told people I don;t know everything.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-13, 03:09 AM
Group Moderator
Compared to some others you are the true Professor of the forums. Almost posted last night and ask another user why the heck he was putting the dollar signs after the numbers in the price. On the other hand I have noticed no errors of spelling, grammar, or punctuation in yours.

Old 09-01-13, 03:31 AM
Thanks, Ray. If you don't see the mistakes I make then you are not reading carefully.

Oh, the dollar sign after the amount is actually quite a common convention outside of our country. (I originally typed sollar instead of dollar.) It is read as "US Dollars."

Old 09-01-13, 03:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Furd you're not by yourself with the malfunctioning fingers. I suspect you're like me in that some days they work better than others. I don't know what browser you use but firefox highlights misspelled words in red - makes it easy for me to notice and go back and fix most of my mistakes, makes me look a little less incompetent

Old 09-01-13, 04:13 AM
Yes, some days are worse than others. I also use Firefox with the spell check and it saves my life.

Old 09-01-13, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
From a frequent user of the edit feature.....I always spot the spelling or grammar error just as I hit the reply button.

Old 09-01-13, 04:23 AM
Group Moderator
Many of my posts are edited at least three or four times. I just don't see the mistakes despite proof reading till after I have actually posted them for all the world to see. Even then it may be hours or days before I notice all of them.

Old 09-01-13, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator
I don't think that you are making many more mistakes that a lot of us!
What you are doin gdifferently is not correcftoing them.

Greg

Old 09-01-13, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Also, I don't recall you ever posting something I couldn't figure out. Some posters leave you scratching your head trying to figure out what they said

Old 09-01-13, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
Some posters leave you scratching your head trying to figure out what they said
That's the worst when they are asking a question and the details may as well be in Venusian. Some time I just give a generic answer that seems to be related hoping I'll get a clue with the reply.

Old 09-01-13, 12:12 PM
Furd I think your posts are great compared to mine. I too use Firefox as sometimes my spelling isn't to great either especially late at night when I sometimes post here. I know what you mean about nerve damage I have carpal tunnel syndrome that comes and goes. Those wrist braces that look like gloves that you can buy about anywhere have helped me out on those really bad days. I can't think of the name of the brand right now but will look it up later if you want to look for some.

Old 09-01-13, 12:40 PM
Thanks, Hedge. I used to be an excellent speller but as I age I seem to have lost that gift. Nonetheless the current problem is not that I can't spell the words as much as my fingers simply don't seem to be working correctly. I was never a high speed typist but I was usually accurate. Now I can hardly type three words without a mistake.

As for the brace...I went to a neurologist last Monday and he did several tests. It seems that my nerve damage is far worse than I thought. He prescribed a wrist brace and the nurse fitted me up before I left. I'm supposed to wear at night when I sleep and during the as possible. Unfortunately it is utterly impossible for me to type with it on. I go back in a month or so for several more tests.

Old 09-01-13, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
I've often wondered if the voice recognition typing programs are as good as they say. I know I can surely speak much faster than I type.

Old 09-01-13, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
From what I read only the expensive ones way outside my budget.

Old 09-01-13, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
As bad as it sounds I hope your problems are more related to a hard life (vibrating equipment) than a degenerative nerve problem. I've got one friend that has to use one arm to hold the other up to his body to control the tremors. We still let him pour drinks but it's become a common joke as we laugh about the spilled wine.

Old 09-01-13, 04:31 PM
Thanks Pilot.

I have actually had a pretty easy life, my motto has always been to work smart, not hard. I did use a jackhammer for a short time in my early twenties, probably less than ten hours total. I also used a pneumatic panel cutter for cutting up old car bodies for maybe a total of fifty hours over a period of a couple of years. I don't think that little bit that long ago is really the cause of difficulties today.

I don't have tremors in my hands, at least not yet, but I do have advancing arthritis which does compound the situation. My grip is getting weaker as I age and some days I cannot even use a hammer or screwdriver. If I type really slow I do okay, it is just frustrating that I have to do so because it takes forever when I have to write yet another book to fully explain myself.

On the voice recognition computer typing...if the voice recognition telephone systems can't understand me (they can't) then I doubt than any computerized unit would be any better. Or at least, to use Ray's reasoning, any system that I could come close to being able to afford.

Old 09-01-13, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Joel as a plumber most of my life I wake up to my hands numb every morning. I have the mits to wear and they do nothing. They wanted to do the hand surgery to milk my insurance IMO...

The thumb, pointer and middle finger, and very painful mostly... That with this new crappy dell key board that you need to press keys hard for them to register make my spelling worse...

With that said I have doctored myself and realized its not carpal tunnel at all but nerve issues in the neck.

I wore the mits as the pros /doctors stated to no avail... Still had an issue. I find if I fall asleep on my back with a low profile pillow with my hands crossed like I am in a coffin I wake pain and numb free...

My joke to the admiral is if I die in my sleep I am coffin ready...LOL...

Dont let the doctors steer you in one direction is what I am trying to say... I few visits to chiropractor helped immensely although I don't believe in long term and feel it can make things worse...

I also have rotator cuff calcium deposits on shoulder and jelly in the elbows from turning wrenches, ( tennis elbow) plus my knee pain is bad that I cant get up at times...

Also fat Italian fingers with peck and hope typing skills....Although I can do 50 words a min or so using to fingers......LOL

Heck I am only 47 and I feel like 67.......

Old 09-01-13, 04:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have a smart phone, they have app versions of the home based dictation software. I have Dragon Dictation on my cell phone (free version) and I am amazed at how accurate it really is. I am currently trying to convince a handicap client of mine (polio) who is wheelchair bound and has minimal use of her arms and hands to get the dictation software. I demonstrated it during a conversation with her and her sister in law. She spoke a sentence referring to the accuracy of the software, I repeated it verbatim into the phone, and immediately turned the phone around to show them the exact sentence written on the smart phone screen. Pretty impressive and worth a look see if the keyboard is giving you fits.

Old 09-01-13, 06:17 PM
The brace I use Furd is made by Imak and is more flexible than most of the other braces out there. I rarely use the braces now as they helped me so much. There are other brands out there that are not expensive and would allow for a bit more flexibility during the day when you need to use your hands more.

I am by no means endorsing Imak I just know that brand helped me. Of course braces don't always work and sometimes surgery can't be avoided but even surgery doesn't work forever. I know because my mom had carpal tunnel surgery. Anyway good luck to you and everyone else who has nerve problems in their hands.

Old 09-01-13, 09:39 PM
Group Moderator
This post is being written using free voice recognition software that is included with the Google Chrome browser.
.actually list steaks them when I start typing. um I am leaving the mistakes. kiss land resting taking a lot longer then if I have h***** tit should have been hand typed it okay enough fund I'm going to post lifts

Old 09-01-13, 10:38 PM
I use Chrome but I don't think I'll be trying that.