Thanking Mods and members...

Old 09-23-13, 12:12 PM
Thanking Mods and members...

I'm in a similar situation, learning as I go. Each vendor who quotes a project brings up a new point or two and what I thought might be nailed down is unnailed with new questions in my mind, and the number of posts grows. NJ Trooper has been a real help to me also along the way, always the one who is patient. He and I learned the details for boiler sizing for steam calculating EDR's, and he is the one who has been a good partner.

Moved from this thread.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...y-choices.html

Last edited by lawrosa; 09-25-13 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Thread was off topic.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-13, 05:16 PM
OK, try to express your questions in a detailed way - maybe in a couple of sentences. No need to write several paragraphs summarizing what the last boiler salesman told you. Forget that, and post your specific, technical questions.

The last I heard, you were dubious about the economics of a new gas-fired (vs. present oil-fired) boiler: $10,000 in capital costs versus $1,000/yr in fuel savings. You need to verify those numbers with paper and pencil - we can't do that for you. But, it is difficult to economically justify replacing a boiler that presently works, based upon a $1,000/yr fuel savings. Until you convince yourself of the economic justification (or other non-economic factors) involved, it is fruitless to agonize over various boiler brands, models, salesmen, contractors, hot-water heaters, or other details.

I think you need to back up to square one, and postpone interviews with more boiler salesmen (some of whom, work on a commission, by the way) until you know what you want to do.

Last edited by gilmorrie; 09-24-13 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 06:35 PM
…NJ Trooper has been a real help to me also along the way, always the one who is patient. He and I learned the details for boiler sizing for steam calculating EDR's, and he is the one who has been a good partner.
netmouse maybe this is none of my business (you can say so if you wish), and this may be very presumptuous on my part, and my only claim, which is weak, to any right to comment at all is that I follow this forum all the time, but I think you really should acknowledge that more than NJ Trooper gave you a lot of time and expert advice. Everyone who has spent any time around this forum knows what NJ Trooper does – and well, what can you say about that except it’s just about unbelievable, or amazing, or something like that.

But your above comment really bothers me since to my mind it seems extremely unfair – or very unappreciative? As if the other guys didn’t put in a lot of time, paid attention, thought about your questions, and gave you good expert advice? That’s what I think I saw? I hope you recognize that they did!

Old 09-25-13, 03:14 AM
Yes, you two and especially Furd have been very helpful and always patient and professional, as my fellow members, and I at times thank along the way, sorry if that is not obvious. NJ Trooper stuck with me more than anyone on this boiler issue, getting a handle on the EDR and we came out the other end on that in tandem, and he has consistently been on my travels here. He, and Grady, are two leaders and are dependable on my many posts as a big user of this forum - so many topics like termites, buying my wood stove, the Flushmate toilet recall, insulating my house, and so many more. I value the input from all you guys, it always adds to my knowledge as a non-technical person on a fixed income. I also appreciate the forum is more focused on answering technical questions, and not my journey, - NJ Trooper works with that and it is a mindset, perhaps. And so Gilmorrie and zoesdad - a special thanks to you! As I continue I will re-start with a summary and a specific question that is more appropriate for this forum. Thanks again.

Last edited by netmouse; 09-25-13 at 03:32 AM.