They Always See You Coming

Old 09-26-13, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
They Always See You Coming

I have had dry loop DSL for sometime perfectly and happy with it. So I get a letter from AT&T that they are dropping DSL in 30 days and I must switch to Uverse. Semi panic sure can't afford TV or phone service. Quick scramble on line and I find I can get Internet only. Slight relaxation.

Long talk with a very nice CR and I'm signed for the same speed I had before and yes I can do a self install, my NID is usable. Actual rate same as I'm paying now but a $10/per month discount for the first year. Happy as a clam trying to decide what I'll do with the extra $120 the first year.

Euphoria doesn't last long. More surffing and I find out that what the CR failed to mention was that I would be charged $100 for the new modem needed. Crap!

Okay quick cruise of Ebay and I find the exact same modem they are sending for $20-$30. Sigh of relief. I'll just send the $100 one back. Relax again. Just to be sure I've got it covered I post about it at DSL Reports. Crap! Crap!

Seems AT&T upgrades the Firmware every couple of months and if the firmware isn't up to date you can't register the modem and the only way to upgrade the firmware is through AT&T on a modem that is already registered. Crap! Crap! Crap... .

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-13, 01:23 PM
Cheer up Ray we are in the same boat so to speak with Verizon. I have their router and from what I could gather you have to have their router or you can't use their service. Oh sure you can go and buy another router but if Verizon doesn't see their router somewhere there then they could pull the plug.

Nothing new there unfortunately. If you look further yet on the internet then you will see many instances of the same thing with about every high speed internet service. It might though get to the point where they will be forced to sell their equipment to you like they did with telephones years ago.

Old 09-26-13, 01:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Richard....."router" or "modem"?? Here, windstream will furnish you with a modem/router, but it is very basic. I have one in my weekend rental cabin and it's fine. However, I do a bunch of stuff that a normal router can't handle. Especially a cheap one that they provide. I use a dual band n, since we stream videos, have wireless printer, two laptops, Microcell, all running at the same time. The modem is a "dime" compared to the router, and I choose not to have the combo. Are you forced to have the modem/router combination??

Old 09-26-13, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
the only way to upgrade the firmware is through AT&T on a modem that is already registered

You just need to tell them you want to use your own modem. Give them the # and they have it on file and you will get all the updates...

Thats what I know about. No ISP can prevent you from using thier modem only. Some FCC law or something...

Old 09-26-13, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
Actually they do sell it but not at a competitive price. Oh for the good old days of dumb modems and PPPoE software on your computer.

Old 09-26-13, 03:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
See if they will rent it to you, Similar thing happened to me, although it was a defective modem. They charged me $5/month on my bill until I could find a suitable replacement.

Old 09-26-13, 10:30 PM
Larry with us it is only a router and a box outside I think they call an nid if memory serves me right from something I read on the forum here once. Anyway they really don't like you using any other equipment but their router. I had an old Linksys router that wasn't all that great and the guy who installed the service said you will not need that so I haven't used it.

Apparently too if you want tv service from them which we don't then you must use their router at least from what I read on their forum. I found that when I had another problem that wasn't related to that. Not sure why the router though is so important to the video service as they are two different services right? It doesn't make sense to me but I guess they have their reasons. I can't really complain much though even though the router only goes up to G speed as the service performs well and I am enjoying watching videos online in my living room.

Oh by the way in case you were ever wondering about the online soap operas we got tired of them they were kind of boring. Might watch them again but not anytime soon. I know off topic but I thought I would share that while I was thinking about it.

Old 09-26-13, 11:47 PM
Hedge, as I recall you have Verizon FiOS for Internet. The FiOS system runs a fiber optic cable to the house where it interfaces with an Optical Network Terminal or ONT. From the ONT the data, either Internet or television, goes to the router via a coaxial cable. The coax is continued on to the television sets as any cable TV system. Internet data is via Ethernet from the router.

The FiOS router can also be served via an Ethernet cable from the ONT but then you will not have the TV availability. Telephone service is from the ONT directly via twisted pair telephone cabling as any other land-line service.

When I had my FiOS installed the tech was going to use the coax connection until I told him I wanted the Ethernet. He said they normally just go ahead with the coax because it is then in place if the subscriber eventually goes for television service.

I don't know that it is absolutely necessary to use the FiOS router if you do not subscribe to television service but it supposedly does offer some things that are proprietary to the FiOS network. I am part of a broadband study group and I have a Netgear router after the FiOS router that has my computers and network printer connected. My VoIP telephone is connected to the FiOS router. Something you may not know, as initially connected the ONT will NOT connect to the Internet during a power outage but WILL still allow telephone service for a limited time from the back-up battery system. The ONT also has the ability to transmit several maintenance signals back to the Central Office (CO) such as battery missing, battery needs replacement and when the unit is on battery power. These conditions are sensed from the separate power supply/back-up battery unit and can be disabled easily. Once disabled, the Internet WILL work off of the back-up battery although for a relatively short time.

Old 09-27-13, 10:08 AM
Furd we have the coax cable going in and the guy who installed it said he preferred to do it that way. I wasn't aware of the temporary internet being available by disabling the battery back up I guess your FIOS service may be newer than mine. As I haven't seen that here but I am able to use the phone line for a short time.

Most of the time when the power goes out I just hook up the router, computer and ONT to our generator and it doesn't seem to cause any problems. As to the other things I was aware that the central office of Verizon can communicate with the ONT and the router. Many people might not be aware of this but Verizon has a backdoor into your router even if you change the password. They just don't use the backdoor very often though but will to upgrade firm ware on the router.

Old 09-27-13, 10:59 AM
You misunderstood, you do not disable the back-up battery but disable the sensing of the abnormal conditions. The cable between the ONT and the battery unit has two larger wires for the ONT power (12 volts DC) and if I remember correctly, five smaller wires for the maintenance signalling. Although I removed all but the power wires I think that simply removing the "signal return" (or something like that) wire would disable all the maintenance signals and the Internet lockout.

I have had my FiOS since November of 2007. I disabled the maintenance signals about three years ago and have had no problems nor have I been contacted by Frontier (Verizon sold their western holdings to them in 2010) so while the ability DOES exist I don't think it is used in my area. Recently I made a new power supply unit that outputs regulated 12 volts, 5 volts and 9 volts to power ALL my equipment, the ONT, FiOS router, VoIP adapter and Netgear router. All together they draw a little under 3 amperes at 13 volts. Next step is a deep cycle battery and after that a solar panel for recharging the battery.

Old 09-28-13, 04:33 AM
You are right Furd I did misunderstand. I don't understand all of the technical aspects of the ONT. I do know the ONT somehow works with laser beams or so I was told but beyond that I don't mess with it. One year the whole system was out in the whole area so nothing I did could bring it back. That was during one of our really bad storms over here.

I have a much better understanding now of the router than I did when I first had the service and have been directly connected to it via my browser off and on to make some adjustments to it. Other than that though I haven't made any major changes.