Propane vs. Natural Gas

Old 09-30-13, 06:56 PM
Propane vs. Natural Gas

Propane is much more expensive than natural gas, of course. Here in the corn-belt, harvest began early this year. When farmers sell their corn, they get docked if the moisture is over about 21%, I think. It is profitable for them to dry their corn in grain dryers before selling it. The lucky ones have natural gas available, but many rely on propane. Large farmers that have natural gas might save a half-million dollars per year over propane - that helps fund their luxury condos in Florida, etc.

We live in town, but can hear the grain dryers running 24/7 around us.

What does this have to do with heating boilers? At this moment, there is an economic change going on with fuel prices and availability. Anything that we can do to extend the availability of natural gas is important. I'm thinking mainly of the Northeast U.S. - which has been overly dependent on heating oil. Even here in the Midwest, coal-fired power plants are being supplanted by natural gas. Much of the vast U.S. coal production is now being exported overseas instead of consumed here - it's too expensive, compared to gas.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-13, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
OK, I follow you but what is your question?

Old 10-01-13, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Moved from home heating to general chats....

Thank god I have NG... We are going down in price 5.6% overall..

Here was the news release...

New Jersey Resources :: News Center :: News Releases :: 2013 :: New Jersey Natural Gas

Old 10-01-13, 11:37 AM
The problem with natural gas is transportation and then distribution centers. Often natural gas is burned off as a by-product of some wells until there is a practical and economic distribute to where it is needed.

There are some large industrial energy users that ship in liquid natural gas by ship (across the Gulf of Mexico and up the east coast to facilities. It is more economical and reliable for them to use it. In order to get the other markets (smaller individual users), terminals and local piping have to be invested in or available.

Many large trucking companies use LNG because they have the clout to get a fuel supplier to establish filling points and reduce the cost and maintenance. Even our local trash/rubbish removal company (local part of a national company) uses natural gas in all vehicles and advertises it. Here, there is a good supply of natural gas that could be converted to cars, but the time is not right.

For cars, it will take a network of storage facilities and stations. That is far easier than converting the traditional home heating away from the tradition oil that is trucked in from an existing storage tank farm. LP is good here on a short term basis (BBQs, seasonal homes, etc), but is limited because of the resistance of suppliers to convert.

The beauty of natural gas for home heating is the reliability and economy irregardless of the weather and storms. My usage gas bill in the summer (hot water and drier) is less than my connection fee. In the heart of a very cold winter, I have never gone over $85.00-$90.00 per month in total. At my lake home, I had a big LP "pig" for heating and cooking and never had a problem because I was on a keep fuel system where it was checked after every winter storm. Too bad I did not have natural gas available. I had underground power, telephone and cable/internet and a fireplace, so I could survive any extended storm and did just for the fun of it thanks to truck LP delivery.

Dick

Old 10-01-13, 04:20 PM
Thank god I have NG... We are going down in price 5.6% overall
Count your blessings! My utility just announced a 1.5% INcrease in residential rates.

Old 10-01-13, 07:35 PM
Yous with natural gas are extremely lucky! Oil heat here kills us in the winter.

Old 10-02-13, 09:40 AM
Many large trucking companies use LNG because they have the clout to get a fuel supplier to establish filling points and reduce the cost and maintenance.
About a week ago I heard a little news radio factoid about Flint, MI converted its municipal fleet to natural gas several years ago and because of buying in bulk and getting the priced locked in for the entire year they pay $.64 per gallon (gasoline equivalent). There's a lot to like about that but for some reason the gov't and car companies keep pushing technologies we aren't ready for.

Old 10-03-13, 05:44 AM
As the hippie in the movie cars said:
It's a conspiracy, man! The oil companies got a grip on the government. They're feeding us a bunch of lies, man!

Search this Thread