Odd Phone Call

Old 10-10-13, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
Odd Phone Call

I received a bot call that said I needed to approve my prepaid Visa or Master card. Needless to say I haven't applied for any prepaid card. Calls to the two CC companies proved useless. So should I just forget this or is there some vation I can take. The call was apparently from a blocked number since it doesn't show up in my received call list.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-13, 12:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Nope, nothing you can do. They are looking for information from you to "approve" your card, such as a ss number, birthday, etc. Little information bits that can lead to larger things. Until the government goes back to work, the Do Not Call List is worthless, as it gets little to no attention when they are working Let it ride.

Old 10-10-13, 12:12 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks. It seems like every time I run out of things to worry about something new pops up. Identity theft and someone having gotten a card in my name occurred to me and maybe not just a fishing expedition. However the inexact Visa or Master Card instead of naming a specific card pinged my sonar.

Old 10-10-13, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife got a call from 'PCH' [not really] yesterday on her cellphone and the scammer claimed she won 3rd prize - $900k and a new car. All she had to do was go to Walmart and buy a $900 paypal card to claim it. Thankfully she had enough sense to hang up and report it to the police. The only thing that worries me is before she figured it out she gave them our address, house phone number, the correct spelling of her name and her date of birth. Is that enough info for them to do any of the identity theft stuff?

Old 10-10-13, 02:06 PM
She gave them 3 bits of information they didn't have when they called you. All they had was a robo call placed, and BINGO, they are that much closer. May not be a big worry, but I tell my wife not to give them ANY information. Anyone who is legitimate already has more information about you than you could imagine, and banks usually issue the cards, so you KNOW they know you.

Old 10-10-13, 02:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, we've had that talk yesterday, probably should have been sooner I guess to play it safe I'll check her credit report in a few months.

Old 10-10-13, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
In the computer world, that's called "phishing". Like fishing for information. Since there's a sucker born every minute, they are successful a small percentage of the time. Sometimes even I almost fall for it. An email from "yahoo" or some other online account that I have, asking me to follow their link to update some bit of information due to some "policy change" or similar. By looking at the sender address or the URL of the link, you can usually figure out that the addresses may be similar, but aren't the official website that they would lead you to believe it is.

Unfortunately on the phone, you sometimes don't have time to think clearly, and you might respond before you figure out it's a scam. At least that's what they are hoping.

I know that sometimes calls like this ought to be reported to your state attorney general.

Old 10-10-13, 05:44 PM
I had a sneaky call myself not too long ago as I post this. It was from Verizon although you would have never known it from the caller id as it had some funny name on it. They wouldn't talk to my mom as my name is on the bill first. When I answered though there goes the usual sales talk about how I need extra service. I don't need extra service but would like to see a better price and no more sales calls.

I agree though don't give them information and in my case they already knew my information. These Visa and Mastercard scams though unfortunately are fairly common and the credit card companies and the government vigorously prosecute these cases when they can. I agree too the do not call list is worthless especially when they block calls or when you have done business with them before. On our phone number we have blocked calls blocked by the phone company so they can't call that way.

Old 10-11-13, 11:54 AM
Whenever I come across scams I love to give them made up information just to waste their time.

Old 10-11-13, 12:06 PM
At our house, we just don't answer the phone period if we can't see your phone number on the caller ID or don't recognize it when we do. No exceptions.

Canada has a no call list as well run by the federal government. They sell it to Canadian companies online and supposedly enforce it (I call BS on that). The lovely thing is that our laws involving the do not call list don't apply outside of Canada. So, companies/scammers from all over the world also purchase this list online! Perfect set of verified phone numbers!

Our government sucks sometimes.

Old 10-11-13, 01:26 PM
Slightly off topic, Sorry Ray. I went to get my driver's license renewed the other day and discovered I needed a certified birth certificate to do so....Say what? Never needed one in 50 years. I handed the clerk my old driver's license, ss card, medicare card, draft card (1966), and concealed weapons permit. All government issued documents. Nope. Gotta have the birth certificate.

Went to the courthouse and ordered one for $25. Here's the kicker. I told her my name and birthday, gave her $25 and was out the door with the document printed on government watermark paper in 5 minutes. I got to the parking lot and it hit me.....what did I just do? And what can anyone do??

Old 10-11-13, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Yep, BCs are normally just that easy. I ordered a copy for my step-son online a few years back. All I needed was his name, birthday and county of birth. Had it in the mail in less than a week. You can even get much of the info you need from headstones or obits in the paper.

That's why I've never understood all the big pushes for BC's for voting/registration (for instance). They prove nothing without some sort of picture ID with the same data. Even then, does every DMV clerk everywhere know what a copy of a BC from every other jurisdiction looks like? My original (which I still have) looks nothing like a current copy from CA. I just about guarantee I could get a fake BC somewhere and then use it to get a picture ID from some state office.

Old 10-11-13, 03:18 PM
I just about guarantee I could get a fake BC somewhere and then use it to get a picture ID from some state office.
Basically, that is what I did. I got a certified BC for cash and a few words and got a binding picture ID, which is supposed to be within the guidelines of the new Federal ID system, which means it is easier to use to board an aircraft, etc. Stunning!!

Old 10-11-13, 05:45 PM
Not the last time I was at the DMV but the time before they said I needed a certified birth certificate. But I didn't have one so they said no problem just go see that clerk and you can have one in five minutes. Five minutes was about all it took too and very few questions if memory serves me right.

About a year ago I needed another certified copy but didn't want to go all the way to the DMV so using a website my state pointed me too I too ordered a copy for myself. You are right though I could have been about anyone. They did ask a few questions only I should know but with just a few questions asked of me anyone could have stolen my identity.

Old 10-12-13, 05:09 AM
This is interesting. Here in Canada, specifically Ontario and Quebec after 2001 they made serious changes to replacement BC applications. You had to know things like the name of the doctor that delivered you and their address. You also had to know where your parents were born and a few other things I had no clue how to answer.

I called my Mom to get this info as I figured I should have it and she'd be the only one who would know. She said the address of the doctor that delivered me was "The west side of the Cataraqui cemetery. Your Dad was born in a farmhouse with no address. I have no idea where I was born."

I knew of many situations where people went without BCs for years while trying to argue with the govt that they didn't have access to the info. Don't lose your BC.

Old 11-01-13, 07:36 AM
Hedgeclippers,

Verizon used to call me with those calls such as about new routers and new channel packages (before FiOS was installed)

even though annoying, but since Verizon may be her TV Phone or Internet company, they keep in touch with their customers about promos about any new packages, and this "feature" can be turned off,

Verizon | About You - Privacy Policy - Full Privacy Policy

from the privacy policy at verizon, you may call the customer care department and tell them to remove you from the calling list (not the technical support number, but the business office number, the office that you pay the bill to

related, I wish there was a way to opt out of it from popping up on the TV (FiOS) such as when you press te guide button on the remote, sometimes it will show "loading" and the full screen promo for the router or faster bit rate service, I dont want to have any risk of accidentally ordering the super fast rate plan and have 10 dollars added more to the bill if I "fat fingered" the TV remote and didnt realize the damage was done until bill arrived,

too much marketing with Verizon, bad enough they give you the Verizon spotlight newsletter and also send emails about the router, I dont need it invading TV programming (other then being on it's own channel (channel 500 in my area)

hope this helps,

-Doordoctor

Old 11-02-13, 01:26 PM
Slightly off topic, Sorry Ray. I went to get my driver's license renewed the other day and discovered I needed a certified birth certificate to do so....Say what? Never needed one in 50 years. I handed the clerk my old driver's license, ss card, medicare card, draft card (1966), and concealed weapons permit. All government issued documents. Nope. Gotta have the birth certificate.

Went to the courthouse and ordered one for $25. Here's the kicker. I told her my name and birthday, gave her $25 and was out the door with the document printed on government watermark paper in 5 minutes. I got to the parking lot and it hit me.....what did I just do? And what can anyone do??
I think it was 1994 or 1995 when I applied for my passport. I had my BC and SS card. I needed one more thing. They said a library card would be good. So we left the building, crossed the street to the library. I had moved since the last time I had a card there so I had to prove that I lived in town with something. So I offered up the application for my passport as proof and they accepted it. Then I took that to get my passport.