Bathroom remodel

Old 10-18-13, 03:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bathroom remodel

Here's what you do when you are stuck with 1970's avocado fixtures in a bathroom. Hide them with color! :NO NO NO:

Name:  puke bathroom.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  22.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-13, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you aren't awake before entering that bath rm in the morning, I bet you are as soon as your eyes come into focus

Old 10-18-13, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator
I love it... Would not change a thing....

Old 10-18-13, 05:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mike, you been sniffing that PVC cement again?

Old 10-18-13, 02:33 PM
I don't care for the color either Larry but that bathroom is ten times the size of our bathroom. Our bathroom is about the size of a very small walk in closet

Old 10-18-13, 03:10 PM
hmm. kinda looks late 50's. You can tell by the style of the fixtures, the aluminum frame window, the "mud" cap on the ceramic tile. As i recall there were 2 different avocado greens, a light and dark one in the 70's, this ones a medium shade

Old 10-18-13, 04:13 PM
They didn't run out of color too soon, IMO!! I'm stuck with one Harvest Gold and one Avocado. Whaddya do?

Richard, I grew up in a house with one bathroom where you could sit on the toilet, wash your feet in the tub and wash your hands in the sink all at the same time and never miss a stride Nowadays, in our basement remodels we encourage people to let us design and install sensibly sized showers (preferably walk in) with vanities and toilets (ADA) and plenty of walk space.

Old 10-18-13, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
My bathroom must be the same size as yours, Richard, lol!

Old 10-18-13, 05:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What boggles the mind is, ...that someone make the conscious decision to install those fixtures in this bath... At least they had the good sense to locate the window offset and out of the main water stream. Probably why the bathroom has lasted this long.

I would call it a mint green more than an avocado. The last few avocado ones I have tackled were much darker.

I can only assume the homeowner was color blind though.....

Old 10-18-13, 05:58 PM
color blind
With Braille on the toilet lid and water contols, I'd say "color" wasn't part of it C'mon, like Z said, someone had to make a conscious decision on this. The tub/shower enclosure could well date to the 50's with lath and mortar wall and return cap tile. but the undermount sink with an odd colored countertop in an attempt to match the shower enclosure, naw. Had to be more recent.

Old 10-19-13, 03:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The shape of the sink reminds me of the old sinks that hung on the wall [no vanity or legs] Could someone have retrofit that sink to fit in the new cabinet?

I assume the original owner's really liked that color combination

Old 10-19-13, 04:10 AM
That's a good point. I remember those sinks. They were monsters!! Very creative if that were the case.

Old 10-19-13, 06:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Of course, the customer is always right. I never give an opinion to a client regarding color when they ask me what I think. I tell them it is too personal and you have to live with it, not me. I will let them know if multiple colors clash as a courtesy.

While I hate to admit it, I did install carpet the same color as the wall tile and vanity. It was called "Pumpkin Spice". Folks at the flooring store thought I was nuts when I was gathering samples for the client per my marching orders. I recall a lot of index fingers being stuck in open mouths. C'est la vie

Old 10-19-13, 06:41 AM
I agree with Czizzi in that I don't often (very, very rarely) offer opinions on colour choices. It's a personal choice and I just don't get involved. I rarely even notice colours any more (not to say I mix them up). I usually tell people to get a tester pot and put some on your walls near a window, a door, in a bright part of a room, a dark part, etc. Look at the colour in the morning, afternoon and at night.

If you like it yourself, go for it.

I've painted entire main floors where people ignored my advice. Several hundred dollars worth of paint, a thousand on labour... and they hated the colour.

Like the guys at the old paint shop I used to frequent used to say "If it wasn't for bad decisions, we'd all be out of business."

Search this Thread