Car Registration: Odd Question

Old 11-12-13, 01:00 PM
Group Moderator
Car Registration: Odd Question

On those daytime court shows you have the occasional case where someone bought a car but had someone else register it under the other persons name. Reason given is they had no drivers license and therefore couldn't register it in their own name.

Usually on the shows it is a scam for someone with a suspended license to drive of course but it still does not make sense to me. It is easy to come up with legal situations where a person with no drivers license would need/want to buy a car. For example what if someone doesn't know how to drive and doesn't want to learn but wants to buy a car and hire a driver? I know it varies from state to state but surely there are procedures for a person with no drivers license to buy and register a car in their name if they intend to use the car in a legal manner.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-13, 01:22 PM
Watching those stupid "judge" shows will rot your brain. Actually, watching almost any daytime television will rot your brain.

Old 11-12-13, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There's something on TV during the daytime?

I've lived in some states that didn't require a driver's license to register or tag a vehicle and you don't have to be licensed to get a handicap tag or placard so I'm sure even in the states where you must be licensed - they'd have some type of procedure. My wife has helped to care for people that had a car but where unable to drive.

Old 11-12-13, 02:00 PM
Group Moderator
Almost didn't post knowing I'd get zinged.

Old 11-12-13, 02:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not sure of most states, but I don't know what having a driver's license has to do with buying a car? Here, you can buy anything you want. No one requires you to have a license to sign on the dotted line. NOW, to drive it out, that's a different thing. You don't need a concealed weapons permit to buy a gun, either. It just helps with the paperwork. Now other states have certain restrictions, there.

Old 11-12-13, 03:43 PM
You would never be able to insure the vehicle under your name if you didn't have a DL.

I'm not sure if a DL is required in NJ to register or not, but I know you need insurance to register and you can't get that without a DL. You are also required to have all vehicles you own to be registered. So it'd be illegal to own vehicles and not have them registered.

Old 11-12-13, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
So a rich blind man is prevented from buying a car and hiring a driver. Isn't that discrimination against the handicapped?

Old 11-12-13, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Odd that you should say that Ray..... I know a wealthy blind man that owns a Mercedes and does not drive. He has his neighbors drive him around.