Gas prices...

Old 11-13-13, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Gas prices...

I was working on the island recently and can say I have not seen gas below $3 bucks in many years...

$2.97.................

Its a good day when $20 bucks puts a little over half a tank in ol red....

Name:  1112131357-00.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  27.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-13, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
$3.03 at Sam's the last few days; a little more at the chain stations.

Old 11-13-13, 04:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's OK, we're making it up by paying nearly $4 for diesel, just so gassers will have a cheaper product. Doesn't make sense to me having a "waste" product with less refining cost so much more.

Old 11-13-13, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, my tow buddy with the two diesels gripes about it on a daily basis. Think he's paying about $3.70 right now. LOVE my gas-powered wrecker.

Old 11-13-13, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
Best I have paid is $2.92 up in northern Minnesota. Not sure why it was cheaper up there as the best I have seen around home is $2.95. Diesel is also about $3.70 here. There is even a store that has diesel for $3.37 I hope it lasts, but it doubt it.

Name:  20131107_155927.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  32.6 KB

Old 11-13-13, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Doesn't make any sense that we don't have the best prices here in NJ since we're practically living next to the refineries.

I'm with ya on diesel Larry.

Best price around here for diesel is... cash 3.45 and best price for credit is 3.59

When I bought my diesel van in 1999 it was .85 a gallon. I don't think my next vehicle will be a diesel.

Old 11-13-13, 10:28 PM
Group Moderator
The station near me just raised diesel a nickle a gallon tonight.

Oh..... yeah.... I forgot. It's heating season.... time for the fuel prices to start climbing.

Old 11-14-13, 03:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most of the stations around here are hovering around the $3 mark. My wife got a receipt from K-mart good for 30 cents off a gallon at select stations. With the discount I paid $2.69 but it still took $45 to fill up my jeep.

Old 11-14-13, 04:14 AM
Group Moderator
The station near me just raised diesel a nickle a gallon tonight.
Must have read this thread.

Old 11-14-13, 08:30 AM
Best I have paid is $2.92 up in northern Minnesota

Cloquet? They always have the cheapest, beating Duluth or Da Range for some reason. $3.09 up here last time I looked.

Old 11-15-13, 05:25 AM
If only it wasn't so expensive to convert my truck to propane...

Old 11-15-13, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Cross north into Virginia or south into South Carolina and I see prices drop at least 20 cents. NC has the highest gas taxes in the region. It's probably the only time New Jersey can claim a low tax rate.

Old 11-15-13, 10:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Whenever we go to Myrtle Beach I always try to fill up just inside the SC border - gas always seems to be 15-20 cents per gallon cheaper there than anywhere else along the way

Went back to the same station to use the other 30 cent per gallon discount coupon my wife had and found the gas price had jumped 17 cents since last week

Old 11-15-13, 02:40 PM
Group Moderator
Cloquet? They always have the cheapest, beating Duluth or Da Range for some reason.
No, It was Hibbing. Seams like Hibbing has cheaper gas, maybe because of the mine?

Old 11-15-13, 03:55 PM
That low fuel tax is the major reason our transportation trust fund is empty and we don't have money to fix our roads.

Old 11-16-13, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Droo as much as I hate paying taxes - I know you are right. The gas tax was formulated back when few cars got more than 15 mpg. Now the average is close to double that, add inflation and it's no wonder there isn't enough money to maintain our roads....... but I sure wouldn't want to see an increase in the fuel tax.

Old 11-16-13, 06:39 AM
The roads need to be paid for somehow. They will get their money one way or another. A fuel tax puts the expense of the roads on the people who use it most. Seems fair.

Old 11-16-13, 07:00 AM
Admin Emeritus

IMO, if the state and federal laws where written so our elected leaders, at ALL levels of government, where not able to siphon off some of the tax and registration monies into what they call the general funds (Slush Funds?...) and had to use the money ONLY for it's true intended purposes of highway and roadway infrastructure repairs, I would be all in favor of increased State & Federal fuel taxes and state DMV (Dept of Motor Vehicle) fees.

Such is not the case. Once collected, there is no transparency as to where some of it really goes once some portions are siphoned off and that which is actually used for roadway, tunnels, bridges, highway, etc. repairs.......$$$$ that is Unaccounted for and Lost forever...

This might be where some of those siphoned off slush funds go>>>>

Old 11-16-13, 02:32 PM
I don't think it is true that road/gas taxes are used exclusive to repair roads. Like Tom said it is a big slush fund that politicians dip into when things are needed. Remember Medicare???? Oops, it isn't segregated anymore, just part of the pot.

I have only seen one instance where money was kept separate from the general fund, although I am sure there are many others. Georgia Department of Natural Resources started the decorative auto tag program with all sorts of animals depicted on the tags. $25 a pop every year above your normal taxes. Somehow the DNR was able to earmark these funds solely for the betterment of hunting and fishing in the state. Politicians were livid, and couldn't do anything about it. We have some of the best hunting and fishing sites around, particularly due to this earmarking.

Old 11-17-13, 07:19 AM
Admin Emeritus

Consumer Tax Payer Beware! Whenever there is a state ballot measure that says it adds a TEMP fuel tax for an intended purpose, example: roadway, highway, street, bridge, tunnel, etc. repairs, that TAX never ends. Even if they tell you it will.... Because way to many of us tax payers have short memories......and over time forget....

Lottery money was suppose to be earmarked for schools when the state lottery ballot passed years and years ago. Intent was to help reduce state property tax. Worked well for a few years. Until some other events took place that where not funded. Our elected leaders realized there was no specific earmarks or laws to use the monies solely for schools.

There was back then and remains still to this date a shortage of state $$$...But there is never ever is ANY shortage of SIPHON tubes... The supply is limitless!!!

USPS Postal mail service endures the same. Billions of $$$ SIPHONED off yearly to fund other Federal off budget expenses, while the entire postal system and employees suffer CUTS!!!...

Old 11-17-13, 10:47 AM
Our state lottery is pretty education oriented. Back in '95 I decided to take a Residential-Commercial Wiring course at our local technical college. I was prepared to pay the tuition, etc, when the administrator asked who already had a degree, to which a handful of us raised our hands. She indicated our tuition was paid for by the Hope Scholarship fund (lottery). That's tuition, books (including NEC), parking, pencils, the whole thing. I was floored. Seems if you have a degree you can pursue "diploma" courses forever for free.

Old 11-21-13, 04:19 AM
Group Moderator
Guess the brief respite from high gas prices is over. Jumped about 15 cents last weekend and yesterday on the way home when I passed my "survey" stations, which the day before were at $3.29, noticed one had jumped to $3.39. I expect the other one will have the additional dime today. This time last week they both at $3.13.

Old 11-21-13, 05:36 AM
Unhappy Gas prices

My poor American friends.I thought you were getting screwed,but then realised it,s 3USD a gallon.In Ireland It,s only 1.55-170Euro a litre.I may be wrong but on todays exchange rate that works out at about 4.70+USD a gallon

Old 11-21-13, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
Always been higher elsewhere in the world. My first overseas tour in 1975 the price of gas off-base in Japan was around 100 yen/liter which at the exchange rate then equaled about $1.50/gallon.

Old 11-21-13, 12:48 PM
in pa i was paying 3.33 now our great gov. is passing a .28 cent tax to raise money for roads and bridges, plus higher registration and what ever else they can think of. i thought the cigarette tax years ago was supposed help with that, where did all those taxes go. plus all the taxes we already pay on gas is supposed to go for roads, someone is getting rich they sure aren't fixing no roads!!!!!!

Search this Thread