Firewood

Old 11-17-13, 11:11 AM
Firewood

I picked up some firewood and found this piece of spalted curly maple in the pile.

Name:  IMG_0570.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  32.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-13, 12:02 PM
The old timer I used to get wood from said at the start of the season he would pull out the trees that had extra value at the saw mill, which he owned as well. But as the season progressed that pile became seasoned wood and the demand finally forced him to cut it up for fire wood.

Even the paper mills up here were cutting and chipping anything that wasn't soft wood. Those I knew in the business said it just wasn't worth the extra effort. Makes one want to cry.

Bud

Old 11-17-13, 12:42 PM
No worries, Bud. That stuff does grow on trees.

Most firewood around here is from people getting their trees cut down from their properties. Those types of trees usually are not good candidates for lumber. There is a high probability of hardware being in the tree and will destroy a bandsaw blade if hit. So it's tough to get them cut on a saw mill without being on the hook for new blades which are quite costly.

Old 11-17-13, 04:25 PM
My SIL had a couple dozen 2' plus diameter pines in her yard, had to be 80' tall and straight as an arrow and almost no branches. But no one would touch them for the reason you state. Had to be enough wood in those trees to build a house and most would have been clear. Ended up paying someone to remove them.

With the growing market for pellets a lot of good hardwood is being chipped. They initially said their production would use the leftovers and scrap wood, but that flow ran dry rather quickly and now they have to buy trees or chips.

Bud

Old 11-17-13, 04:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had a black walnut fall across my garden a couple of years ago. I had no intention of tackling it myself, so I contacted a tree company to come remove it. They were salivating when they got there. It was over 2' in diameter and solid. The tree company owner's father turned bowls as a hobby and he said it would make several bowls Luckily I had a commodity, they had a need, so cost was negated. Nice.

Old 11-17-13, 06:38 PM
My nephew lives in the old house my folks used to own and we were kicking around the walnuts on the ground from the old black walnut tree. I commented that if that ever had to come down there would be some nice wood and he pointed out it has barely changed in size since they moved in 20 years ago. Then I realized it was 50 years ago I lived there and we kicked around the same walnuts. It sure hasn't changed much. May have to impress the grandkids to keep an eye on it in the future as it will probably out live both of us.

Bud

Old 11-17-13, 08:08 PM
Most people who want wood from trees will use a metal detector. Not a guarantee that the blades will not get ruined but it certainly helps. Probably what my friend from Tennessee did when he wanted a big out building made. He calls it his barn but it really is just a huge garage. He had a septic tank dug and ran electric and water to his building and now has a big wood burning stove to keep the building warm when he works there. All of that though required a great deal of trees to be cut and much lumber milled.

Not sure what he will do with all of that lumber but I know he has it stacked and is air drying it and has been letting it dry for at least two years. I imagine he has made a few things by now but I am not sure I haven't asked him about the wood lately.

Old 11-18-13, 04:12 PM
Metal detectors only go so far. They won't pick anything up buried deep in the tree. Even if it did indicate, how would you know where it was to cut around it?