Sound of Music

Old 12-07-13, 04:31 AM
Group Moderator
Sound of Music

Anyone else watch the Live production on NBC Thursday? My wife and I tuned in and thought it was quite good. Read a reference in the paper this morning that the "critics" apparently weren't thrilled with Carrie Underwood's performance, but I thought she did fine for what was probably a first for her. You could tell that some or all of the other players had stage experience. I haven't looked it up to see, but the actor who played Max Detweiler I judged to have seen a lot of stage work. Had to block out Julie Andrews/Christopher Plummer from my mind during the performance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-13, 02:25 PM
I can't say that I saw it I usually record things to see later or watch Netflix so I was watching tv one of those two ways that day. I didn't watch because I didn't think it would have been as good on stage and also didn't think it was worthy of recording.

Now though I wish I had as I did like the original Sound Of Music although I have always thought the movie and now the play were a bit too long. I have seen the actual stage play of the Nut Cracker and the televised version and in my opinion nothing beats the stage version. That was a long time ago though back when I was 7 years old or so.

Old 12-07-13, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
OMG....a Jarhead that watches musicals???!! Oh Lord, take me now!

Old 12-07-13, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
Like Carrie Underwood's songs and singing quite a bit. That said, I watched about 45 seconds of SoM and had to change the station. I HATE musicals and can't stand watching plays so neither was for me.

Old 12-07-13, 09:32 PM
Group Moderator
Pretty sure I saw the stage play before seeing the movie. Local high school drama department put it on when I was in, I think, the eight grade. My older brother was stage manager for the production. We DVR'd it in case the commercials got to be overwhelming we could have bailed and watched it later, but the breaks weren't bad and were evenly spaced @ 20 minute intervals and not overly long.

Love all the old Rogers and Hammerstein productions. Marines have always been more sophisticated than Squids.

Side note, Vic: Was doing daily crossword this morning and discovered (according to the clue and answer) that a student at Annapolis is now a "c-a-d-e-t". They letting Army doggie officer wannabe's into the Hallowed Halls now?

Old 12-08-13, 07:32 AM
Admin Emeritus

Sound Of Music???

A musical??? Theatrical Musical??? Stage Musical???

Oh My.....

GOOD GRIEF!!!...

Music to a real mans ears is, IMHO, the deep throat exhaust sounds of dual uncorked twin "Detroit" or "Cat" diesel engines produce. Twin exhaust tubes musical heard while standing on the Stern of a 56+ foot Coast Guard Cutter ship, at engine idle or as it is heading out of the harbor toward to open sea...

That's my opinion of what the sound of music is in the ears of real men and I'm sticking to it....

Old 12-08-13, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Your crossword puzzle is wrong. All students are called Midshipmen (even the women) and that's their rank as well. It is true that a very small number may be commissioned into the other services. I think the other service academies have the same program and it has to be a one for one swap.

Had a DivO one time who had been kicked out his 3rd year after he got in some trouble. They gave him a choice of dropping all together and doing his service as enlisted or paying back the money or going to the Fleet for a year as a deck seaman then coming back to finish. He took the 3rd option. Best officer I ever worked for I think. He KNEW what it was like to stand mid-watch lookout or be in a boat for 6 hrs starting before dawn.

Old 12-08-13, 08:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Grandkids watched it. I snuck a peek occasionally. I thought it was a great presentation of a a musical that is 42 years old. They are in the L/R watching the original now. Report later.

Old 12-08-13, 09:01 AM
Admin Emeritus

Oh My. Just got off the HORN with a close acquaintance. He was reading this thread and said I forgot a few sounds of music producers men listen to....YIKES!

First Up:
An uncorked (straight exhaust) pipes of an HD...

FYI:
For the benefit of the younger generations out there, HD does NOT stand for Home Depot...:NO NO NO:...:NO NO NO:...:NO NO NO: It stands for HARLEY DAVIDSON....

Additional Music To The Ears Of MEN.

NITRO burning FUEL dragsters.

BIG BLOCK uncorked V-8's or those running "GLASS PACKS" mufflers of 'yester years!

AIR FORCE or NAVY jet aircraft fighters...

Excuse me now. Galley is still Open. Headed below deck with ship mates / Midshipmen for another cup of JAVA...

Old 12-08-13, 09:30 AM
I saw SOM on TV. - It was good, but a little "flat" compared to the movie and the setting that could not be reproduced on stage where they just rotate to 2 or 3 stages with no relationship to the real problems and stories from the original era. When it comes down to people/cast, it is hard to beat Julie Andrews because of her voice range and activity.

I was in and driving through Austria about the time of the movie filming, and still do wonder where the Von Trapp family was escaping over the mountains too. A couple of days prior to driving around Austria and staying in Salsburg about 2 blocks from the church/cemetery, I was spending the night near Munich at a gasthof. We stayed up stairs and had a great meal in the bar/restaurant and the next morning when we had breakfast opposite our table from the night before. Hanging on the wall over the table was a huge German swastika. That made me realized the complex situations and feeling at the time of the filming. - Perhaps that made me closer to the situations, politics and the feelings then.

The day after the TV presentation, I got a copy of the movie to compare while it was fresh in my mind.

Dick

Old 12-08-13, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Yes Tom!!!!!!!!................................Turn up the volume...

Yes that me...haha...

Picture007.mp4 Video by lawrosa | Photobucket