Herding Cats

Old 12-08-13, 07:19 AM
Group Moderator
Herding Cats

Well I have found something harder then herding cats, leading cats to water and making them drink. Now that cold weather is here Cat has decided to be an indoor cat. She has her liter box and she has her food so all should be well but no. Every couple of hours she has to go out for five minutes to drink from her outside water bowl. Yes, she has an inside water bowl but that isn't just right for Miss Goldilocks. Noooo she has to go outside to drink. Not bad at ten in the morning but three in the morning can be a real pain in the....

Surely I'm smarter then your average cat so I swapped out her inside and outside water bowls. Well guess what she now drinks happily from the inside bowel that is outside and ignores the outside bowl that is inside. I even tried setting the ex-outside water bowl under her nose but sadly you can lead a cat to water but you can't make her drink.

So if you see a post on here made at three in the morning it is not because I just dragged my sorry ass in after a night of partying. It's because the cat was thirsty and I'm waiting to let her back in.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-13, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
Dogs have masters, Cats have staff.

Old 12-08-13, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Unfortunately, my dogs have always had a staff, too!
My last dog used to wake me up at 3 in the morning to chase cats!

Old 12-08-13, 07:42 AM
Group Moderator
A human feeds a dog and the dog thinks: "He must be a god!"

A human feeds a cat and the cat thinks: "I must be a god!"

It sounds like your cats has you trained pretty well. When it gets thirsty enough it will drink the water inside. Cats are creatures of habit. Old habits are hard to break.

Old 12-08-13, 07:59 AM
Yup, dogs have staff as well. For example, I am the official door man for the little fellow below. He demands to go out, I open back door. 5 seconds later, back in. Minutes later, out. Repeat.

Old 12-08-13, 11:08 AM
Water apparently isn't the reason for going outside. I have a back door where part of the weatherstripping has pulled away, we can see daylight. It was on my list to fix until I realized it was a regular stopping point for each of our mini-dachshunds. A couple of sniffs and they knew what was going on outside. For mr/s kitty, perhaps a window seat or vent or both might satisfy their need to visit the outside watering hole. It isn't the water.

Bud
PS, I'm well trained as others.

Old 12-08-13, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
I can't say much. Our cat wears an RFID chip on her collar to unlock her door so she can get outside water when she wants without risk of raccoons and opossums inside.

Old 12-08-13, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Okay, have to post a link to comedian Sean Morey's song about cats:

LOL Funny Cats Song - YouTube

Old 12-08-13, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
LOL! Good one Tow Guy. LOL!

Old 12-08-13, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
And a little something for the dog lovers:

The Dogs Song 3D - YouTube

Old 12-08-13, 05:31 PM
Having 3 cats so far Ray I can certainly understand how they are and how controlling they can be too. The thing you have to do at times with cats is try to think like a cat. Maybe Miss Goldilocks likes here water real cold, have you tried ice cubes Ray? Normally they don't care much for ice cubes but maybe your kitty cat likes real cold water. Can't hurt to try anyway.