Another moral dilemma.

Old 12-12-13, 05:35 PM
Another moral dilemma.

Ok, it's not quite a moral dilemma like the last thread, but certainly something to consider. I've seen this happen quite often over the last couple years on the forum and I know it's in an effort to help, but I'm not sure it is appropriate. Quite a few members do not publicly share their location. Sometimes knowing their location is helpful in providing good advice. I notice quite a few moderators outing the member's location to the rest of the forum and I question the appropriateness of this behavior. If the member doesn't want it publicly known, why would it be ok for a moderator to make it so?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-13, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
You talking about an actual situation droo? Or or we talking potential spammers?

We do have the ability to IP check as mods to find location if its not posted in the profile, but not sure of your concerns???...

If you could be somewhat specific....

Old 12-12-13, 05:47 PM
Actual situation. You can enter your location and set it to be private. I know mods have access to this information.

Old 12-12-13, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
You can enter your location and set it to be private.
Yes but if you dont input it we cant see it... Only by checking the IP...

Mods need to have some authority to compare location input to actual location....Most spam comes from overseas...

I would not worry about it unless there is some actual issue or concern regarding this...

Old 12-12-13, 05:56 PM
Yes but if you dont input it we cant see it...
That is not what I am talking about. Some people enter that info and elect for everyone els eon the forum to not be able to view it. In those cases, moderators have mentioned their location to the rest of the forum.

Old 12-12-13, 05:59 PM
Perhaps I am a bit wrong about what is happening. Maybe the ip address is being used to get the members location. Never-the-less, if someone doesn't want their location to be publicly known, then the mods shouldn't be making it public.

Old 12-12-13, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
In those cases, moderators have mentioned their location to the rest of the forum.

Has anyone complained regarding this? If so it would be an administration issue and not the mods issue... I am sure there is something in the policys and rules that allow this to be for the good of the forum...

Old 12-12-13, 06:04 PM
So mod's should not respect member's privacy?

Old 12-12-13, 06:15 PM
Unless the revealing of the location is very specific, I doubt is makes any difference. I for one wish general location was mandatory. Like one's State or Province or general area of the country or the country itself. It makes a difference in the kind of help that should be given.

Old 12-12-13, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Again read the rules and policys of the forum and I encourage you to PM Tom... Sharp advice regarding your concerns... I dont have a straight answer for you right now...

View Profile: Sharp Advice - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Old 12-12-13, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
I for one, don't make public any info only I can see. I haven't noticed anyone doing this, but then again, I don't read every post.
Is this happening often?
If it's only the state (or country), well I don't think it's a big deal. Some forums require you to state your state before you can post.
Can you point out any specific thread where this happened?

Old 12-12-13, 06:51 PM
I read the rules of the forum and there is nothing there that addresses giving away a persons location when they do not give it away themselves.

I don't see much of a problem with general location like state or region, but when I got to thinking about it, it probably isn't appropriate to divulge without permission. The particular instance that got me thinking was the member's town. I don't recall that happening too often.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/in...ml#post2201647

When I went back to get that link, I realized the mention ha dnothing to do with the thread at all. If you read the first post, you can see the OP purposely only mentions the general area that they live in and not their town.

Old 12-12-13, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
I don't think a blatant disclosure is appropriate.
A mod that determines a members location would not be wrong to tailor a response to a question based on determining a members IP as long as his city or specific state wasn't mentioned.
I have after determining a member was from Alaska said in my response......"If you are in a cold climate............." which no member should object to.

Besides, this is the internet!
Who puts anything out there that they don't want public.....we are not like online banking.

Old 12-12-13, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
There is no mod in this thread you posted droo...

IMO the OP member said they were from south jersey so another member mentioned brick NJ in his reply..

I dont see where the OP's location was identified????

Is this what you are referring to in regards to this post?

Old 12-13-13, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
I'm not following the example you gave. As Mike said, there is no mod replying in that thread, and the OP himself gave out his area.

All I can say is, if you feel a mod is giving out personal info that they shouldn't be, you can just report it so we can look into it.

Old 12-13-13, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Here is the privacy policy droo...

Privacy Policy

Old 12-13-13, 11:52 AM
Whooops! Looks like I need more sleep. I don't know why I thought bud was a mod. Sorry everyone.

Old 12-13-13, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Thats OK Droo... You had me worried there for a minute...

The funny thing is Bud just mentioned a town in NJ and had no relation to the OP,s location at all... The OP is actually at a different end of the state if it at all matters to you...

Re read and it makes sense...

Have a few of your favorite beverages tonight and take it easy...