Family Heirlooms, Treasured Items & Old Photos Dilemma?

Old 12-15-13, 08:44 AM
Admin Emeritus
Question Family Heirlooms, Treasured Items & Old Photos Dilemma?

As I read through the recent "Dilemma" posts, a thought came to mind.

We each at one time or another lose a loved one. Grand parents as an example. Our parents usually keep their Heirlooms, Treasured Items and tons of Old Photos. Photos in Black & White taken way back in the early 1900's days.

When our parents pass on, "WE" are likely to keep some or all of their personal possessions, heirlooms and old photos, plus all those are parents had kept of their parents. I.E. all or much of their "Stuff." Which often can add up to a lot of "STUFF!...

The question then is what to due with all that "STUFF"?

I refer to it as stuff because much of it has no real emotional nor sentimental attachment to me. And may not to you either. However, other family members feel much differently about the "STUFF." Problem then is our off springs may not feel the same about those treasured items. Especially those items and photos of our great grand parents nor their grand parents.

Question is "What To Due With It All????...

Leave it for our kids to deal with when we are gone?...

Think about it...

What will you due in such a circumstance? What are you planning??? What have you already done???

For the benefit of all readers.
Ideas, Thoughts and/or Suggestions Welcomed.

Edited In Section:

GOOD GRIEF!!!

Forgot an entire group of family. The family members of the spouse... Commonly referred to as "In laws." I prefer to call'em "Outlaws."... Which I did even when they where alive!!! LOL! Never likely me all that much anyways. I simply Grew" on'em over time...

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 12-15-13 at 09:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-13, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
The only heirlooms I have are a few pictures of my parents, my Fathers Fox shotgun, an antique trunk, and his boyhood violin. The Fox is already willed to my nephew (though I'll probably give it to him before then), the pictures will possibly go to him as well, as my sister probably has copies. The violin and trunk? Who knows...not worth anything I don't think.

All my "STUFF"? Guns, tools, etc? Sold at auction and added to my estate. I'll most likely leave any money to my ex- with some being donated to a local animal charity. My photos and personal stuff will have no interest or value to anyone else.

No other family, so once I'm gone, it will be someone elses problem.

Old 12-15-13, 11:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You mean I can't just stick my head in the ground and hope I never die

I have a few 'heirlooms' [mostly from my grandfather] that mean a lot to me but maybe not anyone else. Like the pocket watch he received when he retired over 60 yrs ago and the wet rock [whetstone] box he built [with hand tools only] 75-100 years ago. I doubt my kids would either care for or about the items

Last edited by marksr; 12-15-13 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-15-13, 03:01 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Mark

You mean I can't just stick my head in the ground and hope I never die
EXACTLY! Not acceptable!!! Can't stick head in hole. :NO NO NO:

However, if you did stuck head into a hole in ground AND in the likely event the dirt caves in around head.... you might die...

Idea. Dig hole and bury the STUFF with a head stone??? Titled here lies everyone else's STUFF but MINE!!!......

What will you due or plan to due with the treasured heirlooms??? Not mentioned nor a suggestion offered to anyone else what to due with all the STUFF....

Suggestions for anyone else in the same situation???

Old 12-15-13, 04:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, I pity my wife. No telling how many thousands of dollars worth of tools and "stuff" I have in the shop and barn! It's odd I ran up on this thread. Just a few minutes ago I gave my SIL an original Brigade Quartermasters Woolly Pully sweater,with history. It was given to me by Mitch Werbel back in 1975 when he started that and Cobray, building silencers for the Mac10. Odd how we let history go by sometimes.

Old 12-15-13, 05:47 PM
I know you guys remember me wondering about a diner out in the middle of nowhere and probably in West Virginia? Remember the negatives I was working on? Well I still am I must admit as I tend to put projects accept for the more important ones of course aside. I think though the best thing to do is digitize your pictures and make them into computer readable files. I am almost done but not quite done and encourage others to do the same.

As for other stuff about the only really valuable thing I own is my Nikon D3000 a couple of nice desktops and a fairly decent laptop and a couple of houses. Not sure who they might go to other than my friends and maybe my great niece depending as I haven't given it much thought myself but need to revisit that at some point.

Old 12-15-13, 06:05 PM
Richard, the older God allows you to get the more stuff you'll accumulate. It's just human nature.

Yeah, I remember the diner. Anything ever get going?

Old 12-15-13, 08:02 PM
Actually yes Larry I do have names on some of the pictures and I also edited some but you know how it is you get busy doing something else and then something else comes along etc. But at least I started on it

Old 12-15-13, 11:51 PM
Whoever cleans up my mess after I die will definitely have a job. The furniture is easy, the tools a bit harder but not all that difficult. Not a lot of "family heirlooms" but I do have a few of my daddy's toys from when he was a kid that might have antique value. I also have his mother's pocket watch with an inscription (her name) and the date 1905. Most of the photo negatives (hundreds) I have already tossed and the picture albums I long ago gave to my nephew as family historian.

I have my mother's Teddy (Georgie) bear that is more than seventy-five years old but still in reasonable condition considering the age. Many other stuffed animals that I had in my youth and also a Dennis the Menace doll I got off of ebay recently; he has the same head that my original Dennis had when I was a kid but a different body.

The books will fill a truck but I suspect that few people will want them. I have an Americana Encyclopedia from 1945 (great resource for steam power and WWII info) also a Britannica Encyclopedia 1974 edition. This is, I think, the second edition after changing to the macropedia/micropedia format. Alas, no one wants an encyclopedia these days with the Internet having th emost up-to-date information. Many of my engineering books date back close to 100 years ago and have invaluable information but they are so specialized no one wants them. Also a goodly collection of history and political science books but again, so specialized that no one wants them.

What I think is of the most value, and will likely be tossed to the landfill, is my collection of Steuben crystal. Most of the pieces are of animals although I do have a Frederick Carder (the originator of Steuben) original that dates back to the 1920s. Oh, well, I'll be dead so what do I care?

Old 12-16-13, 06:12 AM
In her last few years my aunt, 2,000 miles away, collected all of the family photos she could find and put them in an old fashion photo album. The crowning touch was she wrote a little history with each, in her own hand writing. Between the personal information that often gets lost, "who is that anyway", and being hand written, it is a treasure. Once family members found out about it she offered a one time copy effort where she took it to a color copy center and had bound duplicates made. Large family so it was a volume order. This was a few years before the computer solution was available and thus any future similar efforts will lack that real personal touch.

For some of the physical stuff, an attached personal story will help a lot at preserving their history. Often generations pass before someone pops up and takes an interest. Unless we write it down, once they throw the dirt on top those memories are gone.

Bud

Old 01-06-14, 07:25 AM
Admin Emeritus

For all or much of the STUFF left behind by those family members whom are no longer with us or those whom had to be moved into a care facility, what to due with their stuff, a temp solution has been offered & suggested... STORE IT! YEP. In one of those SELF STORAGE facilities.

Have an acquaintance whom owns one of those franchise places. As he says, we make a small financial monthly fortune ($$$) storing belongs, treasured items and all the STUFF both from the living and of the deceased that we don't know what to do with or just can't seem to part with.

Garage sized storage places and lockers galore loaded with STUFF we just can't seem get rid of at this time. Saving that stuff for who knows why or for how long...???...

Ever notice these self storage places? Large facilities covering acres with lots of storage lockers and parking spots for vehicles etc. Many out this way are so filled, there is a waiting list to get one... What a brilliant idea of a business... Making $$$ storing our STUFF that we just can't depart with... Leaving it in storage for someone else to deal with when our loved one is finally gone or we ourselves are gone...

BTW: Ever wonder how to get rid of all the other non treasured items, heirlooms, etc JUNK & STUFF? Simple. Call a got junk removal company. Another great business. They too make a small fortune off us removing all that JUNK and STUFF we need to rid ourselves of.......

Old 01-06-14, 08:12 AM
Good ideas, Tom. We have what is called the Potter's House who employ homeless or otherwise unemployables for whatever reason. They even take in broken things and the guys whom they employ fix and sell things that otherwise would end up in a landfill. To me, just a step above your average thrift shop.

Old 01-06-14, 09:03 AM
Admin Emeritus

Agreed. The nationwide junk removal company I used (Blue & Green Colored Trucks) claims to donate reusable items (politically correct term items for what I and many others refer to as JUNK) to an assortment of charities... About 60% of what they collect. Creates jobs all around and provides items to organizations like Good Will, Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity and many other assorted local charities, churches and organizations.

Some items are sold or given to second hand stores for resale and the rest is recycled. Little of it actually winds up in land fills... IMO, saving some items is worthy. Items no longer made here in AMERICA especially. Items like power equipment, power and/or hand tools, small home/kitchen appliances, furniture items, etc.

Found many such treasured collectibles that where once made in AMERICA items and/or currently collector items recently discovered, while cleaning out (pawing through) relatives STUFF. Some of which might have collector value!....... Help to off-set rental storage FEES once I am able to sell such items...

Old 01-07-14, 12:19 AM
George Carlin on "stuff".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac