Ok, Enough of Winter

Old 12-30-13, 10:38 PM
Ok, Enough of Winter

This cold and all these teaser storms are getting on my nerves. Time for summer.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-13, 11:13 PM
Group Moderator
There's another storm "bearing down on us" by the end of the week.

I love the weather people ..... bearing down on us, storm event, plunging temperatures.
They've really become quite colorful in their description of the weather.

Old 12-31-13, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
It's winter?

Old 12-31-13, 04:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I read in the paper a few months back that the farmer's almanac was calling for a wetter than normal winter. I don't remember if they mentioned temps. I've lived in east tenn for 22 yrs and this past thanksgiving was the first with snow on the ground.

I love the weather people .....They've really become quite colorful in their description of the weather.
All them years of telling lies has gotten them good at telling stories

Old 12-31-13, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator
I'm with you, Justin! Sick of this already and can't wait til summer.

TG always likes to rub it in!

Old 12-31-13, 05:32 AM
No doubt. Our area of Canada was encased in ice a week ago, followed by a quick flash freeze, followed by loads of snow. Today I wake up and we've got more falling temperatures (-14C), and snow squalls with heavy drifting. Thanks.

I always love it when Tow Guy says stuff like that. Floridians must have a great sense of humour.

Old 12-31-13, 10:16 AM
I'm Not Complainin'

When I heard on the news a couple days ago that people out east had been without electricity for 6 days I thought I'll never gripe about cold again as long and the furnace and water were still running. Gads, what would a person do for that long and not have your house ruined?

That -6.1 was our high yesterday, not as warm today....-14 right now.

Weather dude said last night that this winter is a lot like 96 when we hit -60.

Bring it on!

Old 01-01-14, 06:13 AM
Group Moderator
TG always likes to rub it in!
Moi?

Old 01-01-14, 07:31 PM
Someone thought this would be a funny joke. They were wrong.

Old 01-02-14, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator
Are you ready for tomorrow, Justin?! Snow and just above single digits. YUK!

I don't how you all in places like Minnesota stand this.

Old 01-02-14, 05:31 AM
Whoa! It's cold this morning! -16C, windchill -25C here.

Old 01-02-14, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator
I'm with you Justin. Only got up to 64 here yesterday. Luckily it was sunny and wind free so it was tolerable.

Old 01-02-14, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator
Only got up to 64 so it was tolerable
Can't tell if you're serious or just trying to rub it in, Vic, lol!
Those temps would feel like summer around here. Especially for people like Baldwin and Wildbill!

Old 01-02-14, 06:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I checked out the 7 day forecast this morning, for tuesday they are calling for a high of 15 and a low of zero. It's been 15 yrs or so since it's got down to zero around here - not looking forward to it

Old 01-02-14, 06:51 AM
I walked my dogs last night in shorts at 0 F. Mind you I had winter coat, toque and boots on!

This is the kind of cold that follows you around after you come inside.

Old 01-02-14, 07:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's why I like a wood stove, you can get warmed up quick with a fire
a heat pump might keep the house warm but if you get chilled to the bone - forget it

what's a toque?

Old 01-02-14, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
what's a toque?
I wondered that too, but thought I'd appear dumb since I didn't know, lol!

Whatever it is, maybe we're going to need one too, further south!

Old 01-02-14, 07:19 AM
You guys are kidding right?

Old 01-02-14, 07:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you going to make us google it?

Old 01-02-14, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
You guys never saw the McKensie brothers, eh?

The Great White North? "Take off, hoser"? Back bacon? The Twelve Days of Christmas? "Coo loo coo coo, coo coo coo coo"?

These are toques....File:Bob and Doug McKenzie.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The hats...not the beers, jackets, or people.

Some people need to get out more...lol.

Old 01-02-14, 07:25 AM
No Mark, won't make you google it. Gunguy beat me to it. That's really interesting though. I guess I really believed the word toque was more common than I thought.

So what do you guys call them down there?

Old 01-02-14, 07:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Around here we call them toboggans .... although most don't have the 'ball' on the top.

Old 01-02-14, 07:30 AM
Ha, the movie Strange Brew was a great movie! Compiled so many Canadian stereotypes into one film.

If you ever get a chance... Watch it.

I miss stubby beer bottles.

Most of us up here don't wear the ones with the pom poms on top either. It's more of a fashion statement than a functional part of the chapeau.

(let's see if they know what a chapeau is..)

Old 01-02-14, 07:36 AM
Around here we call them toboggans
Ok, that's just strange. Well, not strange but you know what I mean. Up here, this is a toboggan:

Old 01-02-14, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
I think when I was growing up, we called them ski caps...in the Navy they were watch caps. Both w/o the pom-pom.

Bill...you guys have more French words in common use than we do.

Old 01-02-14, 07:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Looks awfully hard and I don't think it would fit my head

although I've probably slipped/fell on the ice before and went for a ride on my wool toboggan

Old 01-02-14, 07:47 AM
I guess this just shows the incredible diversity we have on this continent in terms of language. I honestly was blown away when you guys didn't know what toque meant. That's awesome! Toboggan literally blew my mind! Today we shared a little culture. Thanks guys.

Only place I've been down in the states for more than a day trip was Vegas.

Old 01-02-14, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
In Philly we just call them knit hats!

Old 01-02-14, 08:03 AM
In Philly we just call them knit hats!
So, just for today I want you to try and use the word "toque" as creatively as you can in at least 5 conversations with your friends, and I will try and call them "toboggans" 5 times. It's gonna be weird, but I'll try if you will.

Man it's cold out. I could really go for some 'poutine'.

Old 01-02-14, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Only place I've been down in the states for more than a day trip was Vegas.
Next time you come down, let me know...I'm only an hour away to the south.

Old 01-02-14, 10:12 AM
I'm On The WARM Side

About a mile north of me is the laurentian divide and beyond that is the swampland of Embarrass and Babbitt. When the cold comes down from Canuckland it hits the divide and just pools there....rather nippy.

And that wasn't the coldest spot in the region. Temperatures dropped to 47 below zero this morning at Babbitt and Embarrass, the National Weather Service reported, as the coldest air of the season continued to envelop the Northland.

I only had -30.6

We always wear a stocking hat to slide down the hill on a toboggan.

Old 01-02-14, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
Batten down the hatches Baldwin! The highs here will be -14 next week which means about -30 for you! Again, that's high temps

Its OK, Keeps out the riff raf.

Old 01-02-14, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
I was really turned off cold weather on my first winter in Great Lakes, near North Chicago.

Right off the lake and some brutal winters. I remember when it got to a -75F windchill. you weren't allowed to walk more than a block w/o going into a building to warm up. Base police would actually stop you if you did. When it warmed up to 40F we were all wearing T-shirts and shorts.

I grew up in central OH, and enjoyed the snow and winter, but our temps never got that low.

Old 01-02-14, 10:34 AM
Where's the global warming switch?
We won't make it up to zero for a day or two, but that's warm compared to the numbers you folks are posting. Interestingly, they are showing 42 and rain for Monday, just the one day. Boy will that be a mess on top of 3' of snow. Then back to freezing.

Those of you to the west of me, which is about everyone, I want you all to open your doors and windows. Maybe you can warm up that weather before it gets to me .

Bud

Old 01-02-14, 10:46 AM
wildbill -

My favorite "toque" is one I got in Nepal. It is knitted out of black and white wool yarn with two black ears added and two black eyes on the top. It has two "tails" used to tie under your chin. It looks to be very warm and comfortable, but I have never really used it and keep in the back of my SUV for an emergency. So far it has never been needed since it only got down to -18F this year.

I am not stupid but go into my tuck under garage (45F minimum) and drive to a stop, run in and then out to my car with a remote starter. To keep warm, I wear "Smart Wool" merino wool socks and shoes with a rugged sole that grips and allows the snow to be stamped off. My common gloves are unlined light leather. I am one of those that have "extras" available and dress as lightly as possible to allow my body the warm up faster when I get inside - I always am amazed by people coming in from out of the cold and then keeping the jackets on.

They have just started to ready the International pond hockey sheets ready now the weather is getting "better". The hotels and motels are booked for the many international teams for play-offs and championship. Every hotel/motel with a pool will be full of families for almost a week. Almost as bad as the summer soccer tournament where the 20 fields on one site cannot handle the games.

Is the "poutine" also called a "lawyer"/"eel pout"/"burbot"? - Down south in MN we have a big ice fishing eel pout festival. There, the booby prize is for the largest walleye and the grand prizes are for the largest and smallest eel pots. A very great fun time, but 200 miles north of me.

Dick

Old 01-02-14, 12:34 PM
My favourite winter hat story is a friends.

He went out hitchhiking around the world for 1.5yrs after university. This was several decades ago. His travels took him everywhere. At one point he found himself in Russia.

He was chatting with this guy who noticed his Iron Maiden tshirt. The guy was so blown away by it that he offered to trade his huge bear skin.... hat (I guess you'd call it? It's not really a toque.) for the Iron Maiden tshirt. My buddy jumped at this and still has the hat to this day. Says it's the warmest thing he's ever owned.

My buddy became a teacher and every day in the winter when he gets the chore of keeping an eye on the kids in the yard over recess or lunch time, he wears this thing.

He says it's one of the greatest conversation starters he's ever owned. The kids absolutely love to hear the story of him trading it for a rock shirt.

Old 01-02-14, 01:52 PM
Those Russian hats look like a hassock/foot stool on someone's head. I really don't understand why the real insulation (fur) is on the outside instead of inside the hide where it does the most good. I wore mine to fit in with my friends.

I bought one there and gave it away to be able to pack my carry-on and avoid customs and duty problems.

Dick

Old 01-03-14, 08:46 AM
So glad to have just moved from PA to central VA. Appears to be just enough to escape most of this.

Old 01-03-14, 08:57 AM
Yep Concretemasonry, I laughed as well when I saw him with the hat on. Maybe they figured the bear wore the fur on the outside to stay warm so it'd work with the hat too? Ha.

Anyhoo, poutine is the breakfast of champions up here for some. Pretty sure it started on the ski hills in Quebec. I remember when I was younger, the bars would close on a freezing weekend night and the lineups at local places that sold the stuff would be a block long. It's pretty yummy, but no there aren't any eels in it. The real stuff uses curd, but cheapo places will just use regular cheese.

Old 01-03-14, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Gravy and fries! Yummy! I've had similar with cheddar and sour cream. Hey, french fries are basically just little baked potatoes, right??