Poor UPS Guy

Old 01-06-14, 04:28 PM
Poor UPS Guy

He dropped off a couple packages this afternoon, 3PM with -16 temps and he looked frozen even though he was bundled up like an eskimo. I asked him if he had any heat in the truck...."no, and they won't let us leave in run during a stop."

WHAT? When this young man began his route this morning it was around -30 and he can't leave the truck run during a stop?

I think someone needs a better union if there is such a thing anymore.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-14, 04:34 PM
There afraid someone will steal the truck, plus just like the postal service, they don't really care about their employees even though they lead everyone to believe otherwise.

Old 01-06-14, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
My UPS guy brought a package this afternoon...first time in years I saw him hearing the "approved" cold weather insulated pants and jacket (and we're only in the 40's or so during the day). Normally he's shorts and short sleeved shirt. And yes, even though I was waiting as he pulled up (I know the sound) he shut off the truck as he got out of the seat.

Of course...they drive with the doors open to speed up their deliveries, so even with a heater full blast...how much would that help?

I think they are LNG or propane power as well?

Old 01-06-14, 07:01 PM
Of course...they drive with the doors open to speed up their deliveries, so even with a heater full blast...how much would that help?
I'll have to look next time but I highly doubt they have the doors open at -16.

As far as fuel goes they sound like diesel to me, could be wrong.

There afraid someone will steal the truck...
Yeah, I thought about that. I could understand that in the ghettos of Minneapolis but up here...I don't know. Haven't you ever heard of 'Minnesota Nice?'

He had to walk 50' to my door and was out of his truck maybe 4 minutes, never out of sight. Little common sense should come into play me thinks.

Old 01-07-14, 02:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never paid attention to whether or not they shut the engine off when they deliver locally but then they rarely deliver to my house - they tend to drop off packages on my neighbor's porch. I do know they close up the doors on the trucks when in route. Too many hills/curves for them to take a chance of loosing a package.

Common sense was common place years ago, not so much anymore

Old 01-07-14, 06:45 PM
There afraid someone will steal the truck,
With as many trucks as they have, they save millions of dollars on fuel by shutting them off at every stop.

Old 01-07-14, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
Did you know they also have the routes programmed in to avoid left turns whenever possible? Sometimes they even drive in loops, which, though longer, still improved efficiency. Something like a 5% fuel savings as I remember. 5% is a huge deal....just ask any long haul trucker.

Old 01-07-14, 09:21 PM
I just remembered today Minnesota passed a law a few years ago that makes it illegal to leave a vehicle running while unattended, even if locked. That might have something to do with it.

That said, I've never seen or heard of it being enforced. On a cold day you can go to the grocery store or Holiday gas station and nearly everyone leaves them run, including the cops having coffee.

I'm sure it saves fuel but when it's -30 it seems cruel.

Old 01-10-14, 12:08 PM
I forgot about that. I'm pretty sure that's a law here in NJ. I think it's fairly common in a lot of states.

Old 01-10-14, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
With as many trucks as they have, they save millions of dollars on fuel by shutting them off at every stop.

It actually cost more gas to start a vehicle then to let it idle...

Old 01-10-14, 12:33 PM
Not to mention the increased costs replacing starters and tow bills when the starters quit.

Old 01-11-14, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
Actually I seem to recall reading recently - maybe in the Car Talk guys' column - that the old maxim about starting vs idling was no longer true.

Found this in their Forums:

Starting car uses more fuel than idling? - Car Talk

More ammo:

https://www.google.com/#q=use+more+g...ng+or+starting

As to the wear and tear on the starters, I suspect those trucks have a super heavy duty unit that will take much more abuse than the one in your family car, plus they buy them by the truck load.

And having to be towed when they break down? What's wrong with THAT???

Old 01-11-14, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator
Used to be true with carbs...but not with fuel injection and computer controls at least not on a warm engine. I'm sure the companies spent plenty studying that stuff.

Old 01-11-14, 05:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think the delivery carriers use what I will replace my current starter with when it goes again (diesel)...a geared starter. Rather than turning one for one, there is an offset gearing that increases starter speed, but cuts down on torque, which kills diesel starters.

Old 01-11-14, 06:32 AM
There is not way that can be true. Maybe if you shut the engine off for 30 seconds, but for several minutes, no way.