People Are So Wasteful

Old 01-14-14, 04:13 PM
People Are So Wasteful

My uncle (and I'm sure many others) was going to throw out a perfectly good pre-lit tree because a few of the light sections were out, rather than cutting out the burned out lights and using $2 strings of lights. I saved the tree thankfully, cut out the lights, and put in my own C9 lights.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-14, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
I travel around to friends and family members houses when they set their trees up with my voltage ticker. Once you figure out which way the strings are set up it only takes a few minutes to find the dead ones. Actually... they usually aren't dead... the bulbs are half hanging out of those crappy things they call plugs.

Old 01-14-14, 09:25 PM
I travel around to friends and family members houses when they set their trees up with my voltage ticker. Once you figure out which way the strings are set up it only takes a few minutes to find the dead ones. Actually... they usually aren't dead... the bulbs are half hanging out of those crappy things they call plugs.
What I found with this tree and seems to be happening a lot is bulbs are blowing and shunting increasing the voltage to the others until they all blow.

Old 01-15-14, 09:22 PM
So now today my mom came across some people dumpstering some plastic blowmolded decorations. Thankfully she was able to get them to give them to her.

Old 01-15-14, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
You can never have too many plastic Santas.

Old 01-16-14, 04:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I don't agree with it, we do live in a throw away world
I'd love to see more quality, items repaired when needed and less junk in the landfill!

Old 01-16-14, 04:33 AM
I don't know, Mark. I think the landfill is the perfect place for those plastic Santas.

Old 01-19-14, 09:54 PM
He also gave me some matching garland, and the lights were near impossible to remove. After cutting about 150 tiny plastic clips, here's a terrible picture of the final result:

Old 02-01-14, 07:47 AM
I recently heard on the news that we throw away 40% of our food. I don't know how is this even possible.

Old 02-01-14, 08:13 AM
Group Moderator
I recently heard on the news that we throw away 40% of our food. I don't know how is this even possible.
You have never been around my brother-in-laws family.

Yes, people are very wasteful. I have even fished a snow blower out of a dumpster and ended sell it on CL for $150. It ran just fine!

Old 02-01-14, 01:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We were raised not to waste food but apparently main weren't. I've never had any issues with eating leftovers but it seems like a lot of folks do I think some of it's because people are more affluent than society used to be and put little value on a lot of the things they consume.

Old 02-02-14, 04:17 PM
I know when there's events at school, the caterers throw out all of the extra trays of food. Whenever I see it, I always get the trays off the caterer and take them down to the shop and put it in the fridge in there. Nothing like free lunch for a week.

Old 02-03-14, 03:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I first moved to N.E.Tn. I took a temporary job working for a caterer at the race track. I was shocked at the end of the races when we were instructed to throw all the food in the dumpster - maybe a 100 loaves of bread and dozens of stainless steel containers of meat. We were also told if we got caught taking any of that food home we would be fired and receive no pay for the weekend. One of the steaks did manage to jump in my mouth since I had worked 13 hrs without a lunch break.

Today, I think they work with a local food bank and don't waste food like that anymore.

Old 02-07-14, 08:36 PM
So yesterday, one of my teachers had a mini fridge that wouldn't get cold. Was going to throw it out, I snatched it up. New starter relay and was good!

Today, then, the I.T. guy was working on a computer lab, and was throwing out a whole box of cat 6 cables, power strips, cords, etc. Janitors gave that to me,too.

Old 02-08-14, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
Janitors gave that to me,too.
See.... they appreciate the food too.

Old 02-08-14, 10:27 PM
I have another wasteful story that didn't happen with me but with my tenant. Several years ago when we had a really terrible storm our big orange home improvement store told my tenant who was working for a contractor to throw all of the tools into a dumpster. The roof had been torn off and the place had to be completely dried out before they could be re-opened.

Of course I can understand the stores reasoning behind why they did that but think that some of it could have been inspected and maybe given away if they didn't want to sell it. I think it was just electric and battery operated tools but it could have been hammers and other things too. So electric stuff definitely a liability issue but if it was hammers and other hand tools too I don't see the logic behind it and it is very wasteful.

Old 02-09-14, 03:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I painted a rental once that had previously been rented by a mechanic. The owner met me my 1st day on the job. She began throwing out all the items left behind, I saw a nice tow chain in the trash and threw it in may van - she promptly demanded payment I paid her $10 and let her throw out the rest of the stuff. After she left, I dug out all the snap on tools she threw out along with some other items.