Turbo Tax...

Old 01-16-14, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
Turbo Tax...

I just did my taxes.. Anyone use turbo tax?

I have been using it for 12 years now and found the format this yr to be confusing to say the least...Difficult to navigate???

The revisit areas OK but then you can go through the same thing on a separate tab that the software make for you regarding the same item..ie: EIC credit ??

Also on the home improvement areas what I found messed up is they make you mail in your forms instead of online filing... So I chose to nix the $400 I spent on insulation when I gutted the kitchen... Same last yr when I changed the windows...

Not worth it to me to mail it in.. I guess unless you spend like 5k in home improvments it may be worth it...

And heck you need a 95% eff boiler or furnace to claim a lousy $150 bucks...

OK I will shut up now....

Just my opinion.. But to me its better then the places you go to. Have a stranger do your taxes???

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-14, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
Have you ever tried TaxAct. I used it for many years and found it easy to use. In all fairness I did seem to misunderstand or miss something occasionally but since I had done my own taxes for many years without a computer I knew I'd missed something and it was easy to go back and correct it. It's free to use so your not out anything if you don't like it and their charges, at lest then, were under $10 for Efiling.

Old 01-16-14, 09:04 AM
I've only ever used the Canadian version of Turbo Tax. I've been using it for a number of years as well. Over the past few years it does seem to have become a bit more of a pain to navigate through.

If you find a document and have to go back and change something, it's almost impossible to just jump to the page or line you want. You end up having to pretty much surf through your entire return to get to the right spot.

Old 01-16-14, 10:07 AM
In fairness to them, whether because they have not fully developed their system for less common situations, or whether the I.R.S. will not allow them to transfer certain documents that way, I am willing to accept the fact that not all returns can be filed electronically.

On the other issue though, I agree completely; I do not feel that it is as user friendly as it once was. If I am interrupted when doing something like that, I like to save then close the file, just like I would close and put the file in a drawer, with a bookmark, in order to pick up where I left off. And, unless my memory has gone compleltely, I am certain that Turbo Tax used to reopen to the exact page that I had been working on. But starting a couple of years ago, I found that when I returned, it had assumed I was done, and gone onto the next section. And going back has at some point become a real pain in the neck. I haven't started mine this year, as am still waiting on some things, but am not excited about it after reading your post and hearing that it is probably not any better.

Old 01-16-14, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
I am certain that Turbo Tax used to reopen to the exact page that I had been working on. But starting a couple of years ago, I found that when I returned, it had assumed I was done, and gone onto the next section.

Yeah no more of that.. That was the good format say 2-3 yrs ago.. Now it takes you to a general home page .Start at the top and scroll down to each item...

I can say I did not like it..

I only posted this to see if it was me or not... I like change but I am not sure the developers actually take real time study's... I think they over complicate it as a developer / engineer point of view...

What ever happened to K.I.S.S.???? ( Keep it simple stupid)

It actually took me hours longer then usual to fudge my way through it, and my situation is exactly the same as last yr....... Go figure....

Old 01-16-14, 01:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's not April 14, so i haven't filed yet i wait until the purchase rush is over to buy TT. I use Premier so it handles business and investments. Thanks for the heads up,all!

Old 01-16-14, 01:29 PM
Mike I have used Turbo Tax for several years now and I always install the program which is what I assume you do too from what I read as I use Home and Business for my rental. I understand what you are saying though about it not always being easy to use.

When I first started out I copied tax forms my accountant had done the year before but could no longer do due to a stroke. I thought o.k. it is PDF format the program can read the forms now right? Wrong it took me hours and paid consults that year to get everything figured right. After that it wasn't too bad but saving the return has sometimes been a real pain as you have to make sure it is saved a certain way or the program can't see the return from last year. When that happens you have to redo the return.

I have also found that the program isn't always real clear on what you need to put into your tax return and what is or isn't deductible. Now too with the new health care law in full force I understand you have to be sure to include your health insurance costs. I never bothered with it as I didn't have a great deal of expense but guess I will have to now or the IRS can fine you for not having health insurance even if you do.

As to mailing forms I usually mail everything in anyway so it doesn't matter to me whether I need to mail my information. I still like Turbo Tax though even with its flaws.

I like to buy the program early myself as then you can update it and it fixes any flaws in the program. I usually Buy it from Amazon.com too as I think it is a bit cheaper there at least in the past. I also start on my taxes by at least February and by then the bugs are worked out of the program.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 01-16-14 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 01-16-14, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
I always install the program which is what I assume you do too
Huh!! Its web based... I just go online and do it...

i wait until the purchase rush is over to buy TT
Huh!!! See above...

I understand you have to be sure to include your health insurance costs.
Nope.. Just asked me if I have health insurance... I am in a different financial bracket.. It does ask your income and tell you the exact subsidaray you can get... ( If you dont make too much $$$)

I will have to now or the IRS can fine you for not having health insurance even if you do.

Not this year it stated, but next year it said 285 bucks they will take from your refund... Or added to what you owe... I believe that cost will go up every year..

Just a way government can get their money back from your refund.. But heck we will all be healthy...

I like to buy the program early myself as then you can update it and it fixes any flaws in the program.
Wow I am not understanding why anyone is buying it...

Filing cost $29 fed and a whopping $36 state reduced from $39 for me....( Big deal..)

Well here is the link to the online one... And you pay nothing unless you file when your done... You could just do it for free....

Going on my 12th year here...

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/

Last edited by lawrosa; 01-16-14 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-16-14, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Last thing and Ill shut up,,,,

The main thing that frustrated me this year was there is no way to navigate to where you want to go dirctly unless you go through the same loop after loop of questions and answers every time you want to see or change an amount.

Very annoying...

Old 01-16-14, 02:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I didn't know there was an online version. I buy a disk, let it auto update an give what it asks. I plan on being even more careful with all this hoopla. Never had a problem, except when I overrode the program. It asked me 4 times if I was sure. I was sure. Got a notice a year later that cured that problem, with interest and penalties

Old 01-16-14, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
I buy a disk,
How much is that? And you still need to pay to file???

Got a notice a year later that cured that problem, with interest and penalties
Oh You too? I got one of them... ha ha... and it was on the third year after... Almost got away with it...

Old 01-16-14, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
I've used TaxCut (now h&R Block) for many years. I tried TT once back in VA but I just didn't like it for some reason.

I'm like some of the others. I buy the program locally and it's normally a free fed and state filing. Reason I do that is if my PC bites it...I can reproduce what I need if necessary. Had to go to an accountant when we first moved here because of tax issues and it took them a week to get the software they needed.

I also have issues with all the personal info being done online.

Old 01-16-14, 02:54 PM
Lawrosa, I just thought of something.

The one I use here in Canada has an "easy step interview" method that walks you through the process. I love it, makes it easier for someone that doesn't enjoy the process. However, that is painful to endure if you're trying to go back to a specific form.

However, last year I did use the option to switch to the "forms view" to go to a specific line I needed to adjust.

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing though.

Old 01-16-14, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
I didn't know there was an online version.
Really??? Did you see my link?

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/

Reason I do that is if my PC bites it...I can reproduce what I need if necessary.
Its all online.. If the PC bites the dust just log on to TT from another computer...

Nice thing is I dont save the paper files anymore. All my returns are on TT back from '02.. I can view them or print them.. No hard copy needed..

I only save w2's and such for 3 yrs..

easy step interview" method that walks you through the process
Yes TT does that and thats the nice thing... If you have trouble with a question click the ? and it takes you right to the tax publication...

Did you know you can claim up to $249 bucks for clothes you dump in the salvation army bins?
( Dont laugh every bit helps.. I claim it every yr..)

The admirals uniforms and her x ray license and such I did not know I could claim...etc... Things I would never know without TT..

last year I did use the option to switch to the "forms view" to go to a specific line I needed to adjust.
Yes it is probably there I am sure... I say that in other yrs..

My goal this yr was to get in and get out.. Get my 7K and DONE!!!!!!

Like I said it took me longer this year.. Probably 4 hours... Usually I am done in two.. Mind you I sit non stop and have all needed papers printed out before hand..

Its that loop thing this yr that caused me problems. I fould no way to navigate around that part to get to where I was to change an item...

Hey funny here.. Here is a review of TT... And if you click on tacact they give you screen shots... That is exactly how TT used to be in that formate with the tabs... I liked that so much better...

I guess after reading that review I probably should not complain.. I guess it #1 for whats out there....

TurboTax 2014 | Pros & Cons of TurboTax - TopTenREVIEWS

Old 01-16-14, 06:54 PM
The reason I buy Turbo Tax on disk is because my accountant said it would have more features than what would be online. I also saw Home and Business took care of rentals which is what I need. However if you want to you can have a tax professional look over your forms and alert you to mistakes. You can't store your returns online with the software but that is fine for us as we would rather not store them online in case of data breaches which could happen even with the tightest security. Also a bit cheaper when handling multiple returns and less fees.

Old 01-16-14, 10:25 PM
I just thought I would check on the price for Turbo Tax and found in the reviews that Turbo Tax has a problem installing and it is a .Net Microsoft issue. I am giving a link to the review on Amazon.com so everyone can read it Amazon.com: TurboTax Home and Business Fed, Efile and State 2013 with Refund Bonus Offer: Software . Scroll about all of the way down the page and then you can read the Turbo Tax response from the manufacturer.

The problem is especially bad on Windows XP computers but some Windows 7 computers have been affected by it so they await a fix by Microsoft and are working on it. For now I suggest waiting to buy the software especially if you have Windows XP. It might even be advisable to download the software this year after waiting an appropriate time.

Old 01-17-14, 03:03 AM
I've been using TT online for about 10 years. It has always brought me back where I left off but I have not started this year yet. By the way, the online version price increased the longer you wait to file. Also look online for a coupon before you start. You may find a $5 or $10 off coupon code. It usually cost me about $60 to file both state and Fed online with TT.

Old 01-17-14, 03:57 AM
I think buying the disk or download give you 5 free filings, but no state or local. I always do the install just because it looks at last years and save time entering old data. Have the time the W2 info can be imported too. I usually just buy the basic version. I usually allow other family to use the program members/

Old 01-17-14, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
Meant to add this before. Liberty tax does free filings for military/ retired military and I believe veterans, police, and fire fighters. The first 2 for sure. They did mine about 2 yrs ago, but made some mistakes and they batch file...so it was a bit slower than DIY.

Old 01-17-14, 05:28 PM
I use Turbo Tax on my PC. I used a couple times maybe online. The online version was slow. Plus Intuit doesn't need to have all my personal info.

What I have found with Turbo Tax and Quicken is that they feel they need to make UI changes every year to make it seem like they are improving the product. So it has gotten really crappy to use. Their customer support is overseas and also very terrible to deal with.