Maybe someone knows?

Old 01-23-14, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Maybe someone knows?

I get up in the morning and come out to my mancave garage and fire up the small tank mounted propane radiant heater. Garage is normally about 59-61 in the mornings since our weather has been pretty mild this year. Doesn't really feel cold, even though I just got out of a nice warm bed with 3 purring heaters on it (cats). All good for a few hours, but when the inside temp hits about 65-66 degrees...I actually start feeling colder than when it was 60.

Anyone have a clue why?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-14, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Heat rises and you probably get a small vortex going.. when the cool air comes down you may be getting a slight breeze... Like the wind chill factor...

Either that or you need to put on some clothes!!!

i have been know to web surf in my daisy dukes...

Old 01-23-14, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Lol...I can't imagine daisy dukes on a dude! Esp on you!

Actually I do open the garage door a bit for ventilation....but theres not a big amount of airflow unless the wind is blowing heavy. I have a fan aimed across the air rise from the heater to help distribute the warmth. I think it's a body thing.

Old 01-23-14, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Well, you can always travel to one of the Arctic air places (including Philly) for a week or two, and then when you get back home, trust me, you won't feel cold anymore, lol!

Seriously tho, the same thing happens to me. I always feel the cold more in mid morning. Then in the afternoon, I start to feel warmer.

Old 01-23-14, 12:44 PM
Admin Emeritus
Might have some thing to due with advancing age?......

Some medications can cause the chiller feeling too! Especially blood thinners.

Can also be a result of skin thinning with advancing age. Why seniors are always chilly and wear sweaters indoors most of the winter days or require higher room temps even in doors...

If the condition is just shortly (hour or two) before dawn, the outdoor weather always seems to get slightly colder just before the sun rises. And may last until mid mornings in some areas. Sure does seem that way. Reasons all unknown...

My 2 Cents ()

Chilly Now?
Warm up with a few sudsy brews below deck....

Old 01-23-14, 12:59 PM
I am not sure myself why you are colder as your house gets warmer but I do have one theory. Have you eaten anything before sitting down to your computer which is where I assume your man cave is located? If you have eaten something then maybe all of the blood in your system rushes to your stomach? It happens that way with my mom who is up in age, she swears that she feels colder after she eats. Only thing I can think of as to the reason why you are colder in the morning.

Old 01-23-14, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm still trying to get the image of Mike in his daisy dukes out of my head

Old 01-23-14, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
I'm still trying to get the image of Mike in his daisy dukes out of my head
LOL... Its just a terminology for being in your underwear.... Ha ha....

I probably should have said "skivvies"...

Geez thank goodness I did not say "comando"!!! ( Which bikers are known to do)

Way off topic..!!!!!!

Im going to warm up with a frosty mug now....

Old 01-23-14, 01:32 PM
I know I am always cold in the mornings. No clue why, either.

Old 01-23-14, 01:44 PM
Group Moderator
Must be the "dry" cold out there, Vic.

In that vein, tho. I spent many a day supporting flight ops @ MCAS Yuma during training deployments. During the colder months, when it can get quite chilly in the wee hours, if we went to work before sunup it always seemed to get colder out on the flight line right after the sun peeked over the eastern horizon. Weird.

Old 01-23-14, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well...thanks for all the responses.

I'm standing at my PC in the garage...but the temp starts increasing as soon as the heater kicks in. Just odd that it feels colder at a higher temp. No meds or anything. When it hits 70...starts to feel warm again. Just very strange.

Btw...it often gets colder right as the sun comes up. Read an explanation one time that the sun would appear over the horizon and dissipate any clouds as well as warming up the upper layers...which means colder air at the bottom. Plus...until the sun is fully up, naturally it can't provide any warming to the ground level.

But its still odd that I'm inside, air temp increasing...but I feel colder at a higher temp. probably something to do with the way the body reacts I guess.

Old 01-23-14, 04:47 PM
What exactly do you do between getting out of bed and going to the garage? Anything? Eat breakfast? Cup of coffee. Take a shower perhaps? If you are active for a bit before you get into the garage, your body has warmed up from the activity. If you are then inactive in the garage, your body cools off and if the air temp isn't quite high enough, you will feel cold.

Old 01-23-14, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe after a couple hours the propane is putting some moisture into the air and the higher humidity in the room is making it feel kind of clammy and giving you the chills.

Sorry, best I could come up with.

Old 01-23-14, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Nope...out to the garage to wake up. Normally don't eat for an hr or 2. Never been a breakfast person. But even the few times I do...still seems to be the same. Prob just need to go for an early walk (once the bone spur goes away) and get the blood flowing.

Just very odd that colder temps don't make me feel as cold.

Old 01-23-14, 05:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I remember deer hunting and getting into your stand early. Not a creature was stirring........different story. You are reasonably warm until the sun starts to come up. Then you freeze. Could be metabolism.

Old 01-23-14, 08:25 PM
Group Moderator
Or maybe it's psychological. Maybe our brain thinks... the sun is up, it should be warmer than this!!! (then we get cold).

Old 01-24-14, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator
It could be the type of heater you have.
A direct combustion heater gives off a lot of moisture and an increase in hmidity will conduct heat away from your body.

Ever hear of a "dry cold"?
The saying is a bit of a joke around here but -30 degC is common this time of year and the comment refers to the fact that our dry air does not make you feel as cold as coastal areas.

Old 01-24-14, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator
Hmmmm I'll keep an eye on the humidity. That might be an explanation. Pretty sure it does go up a few points...even with the garage door up a few inches.

Old 01-24-14, 09:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Humidity can make a big difference! When I lived in fla, if the temps dropped much below 50 degrees it was too cold to work outside ..... lately here in tenn we'd call 50 degrees a heat wave.

Are you less physically active after you've been in the garage a bit? Cold doesn't bother you as much when you are moving around.

Old 01-24-14, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Ill send you one of these Vic...

Its from my fathers collection...

Old 01-24-14, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Well...Mike..I think that's a beautiful sweater...but yer Dad might miss it.

Humidity actually dropped some in the garage (16% to 15%) after the heat was on and door opened. Still felt the same chill at about 66 degrees vs when I came out an hour earlier and it was 61.

I don't know what the heck causes it. At one time I thought it might be the tight knit cuffs on my sweatshirt hoodies that I slip on when I come out. Changed to a loose sleeve jacket, same thing.

Activity? Well...some days I do some stuff...others I'm mostly standing at the PC. No real difference.

It will just remain a mystery of nature...unless I start taking my temp and other vitals every 15 min...guess we'll never know. Like Larry said about being in the deer stand I imagine.

Old 01-24-14, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Yer going to have a problem comparing humidity levels at different temps.
I could make this long but the short version is that if you have the same amount of moisture in the air at two different temps, the colder temp will show a higher % relative humidity.
IOW you will be chasing your tale if you compare %RH readings at different temps.

You will be emitting about 1.6 lbs of moisture for every pound of propane burned.
Guys around here will sometimes get themselves in trouble by spending the day in an ice fishing hut heated by a direct fired propane heater.
If they break down on the way home at night in sub-zero temps they will loose body heat very quickly as their clothes will be damp.

Folks who ask here about direct fired heaters pretty much get an all out lecture on their dangers but we'll spare you the sermon.

Old 01-24-14, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Oh...I know Greg...I don't have the fancy meters that were used back in my Navy days (dry bulb /wet bulb stuff). Like I said...I open the garage door about 4 inches (depending on temp and wind) when I turn the heater on...like this btw.http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...76018377lg.jpg

Just for makeup air and ...yeah..cause I smoke out here. Heck..that could be part of the issue as well. No anti-smoking posts please....I'm trying to quit (again)