You know it's cold when .....

Old 01-24-14, 12:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You know it's cold when .....

You know it's cold when you don't need the brakes to stop your truck. I got in the truck to go to the mailbox, backed up to turn around and when I pushed in the clutch it was like slamming on the brakes. Apparently the gear oil was so cold/thick it wouldn't allow the axles to turn without power from the engine.

It's supposed to warm up sunday [high 40's] and then back to below freezing temps for however many days

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-14, 12:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try it in a diesel . It did not want to go into any gear, and when it did, it didn't want to roll. Get to the shop and the fluorescents said, "not today"! Yeah, we got a few more days of it. Possible "S" word tomorrow.

Old 01-24-14, 12:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, they're calling for snow here also but maybe not much accumulation. My wife's patient passed away wednesday night and the funeral is tomorrow. The service will be 1.5 hr away so I hope it doesn't get too bad.

Some of the fluorescents in my shop come on no matter what but some of them wait until the stove gets it nice and toasty before they'll light up.

Old 01-24-14, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
You ought to see it down here where most people have seldom or never driven on ice and we have drizzle and sleet followed by more the 24 hours at, near, or below freezing weather. The tow truck drives are looking a catalogs of bass boats and drooling.

Old 01-24-14, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Back in the mid 70's I lived one winter near Austin and we had a couple of inches of snow. I was shocked at how much most of the drivers struggled to get around.

Old 01-24-14, 01:58 PM
It is relatively wonderful here now. Up to +30F and a few small light flakes. Much better than -20F with -35F wind chill (clear and cold) yesterday. The "theater of seasons" will go into a different act tomorrow and the weekend with lows of -20F and -35F wind chill or so and obviously no snow. I am about to get the car washed and "freeze dried" on the way home and don't have to worry about any slush or snow home to the tuck-under garage. I might even put it into 4WD IF we get any snow, but not likely. Fortunately no sleet or freezing rain, but our weather comes from Alberta this time of the year.

marksr - My CFLs in the garage also need a little time and coxing to get up to speed.

Dick

Old 02-01-14, 07:56 AM
You know its cold when... I am in a bad mood.
I don't really like winter and cold weather but it has its beautiful moments.

Old 02-01-14, 08:06 AM
Group Moderator
I played disc golf with some friends yesterday after work. Wasn't bad with a temp about 5 above. Snow was a little deep from the 6" we got the day before but with the lights, ribbon tails, and fresh snow, had not problems finding the discs. Ended up even on the last round!

Cold? Psshhh! You southern guys.

Old 02-01-14, 08:20 AM
I have a chance to play some golf on Super Bowl Sunday. - A small traditional tournament.

Orange balls and plenty of "fore caddies" to see where the drives sink into the 16" snow cover. Obviously, we would play winter rules and can dig out and place the ball on top of the snow.

A few years ago, some guys played on golf on the ice on Christmas in a dry winter. The ice was good and there was no or little snow, so 500 yard drives were easy. Getting the ball out of the hole was a little difficult if you did not have a screen sunk into it first.

I guess the long nights make people do strange things for fun just to snub their nose up against winter temps.

Dick

Old 02-01-14, 01:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
65 degrees today, I got to wash the salt off of my jeep and truck but my road is still only passable in 4 wheel drive A lot of the snow is gone but most of the tire tracks are still covered in packed down snow or ice It's supposed to rain tomorrow so maybe it will melt/wash away the rest of it before it turns cold again.