Burst Pipe - Not much of a day off

Old 01-26-14, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Burst Pipe - Not much of a day off

Man, what a day. Woke up at 4:30 am after a restless night and pulled a pitcher of water to replenish our Kerig coffee machine. Been my routine for years. Today, however, the flow out of the kitchen sink was a little weak. Thought I needed to clean the aerator screen and made a mental note to do later in the day. Fired up the computer and began my ritual of reading what happened around the world since I last checked. Around 8:00 am the dog starts barking. Figured he saw another squirrel out in the yard.

Instead, the dog was agitated at hearing noises out in the garage. Opened the door to investigate only to find the whole floor drenched and the sound of running water. Burst a pipe near the front hosebib in a wall. Found a 3/8" hole in the corner of a copper elbow that water had been gushing from for at least 3 hours (as noted weak flow earlier).

Took advantage and updated the hosebib, replaced the damaged copper and turned everything back on. Found another elbow leaking withing 8" of the hole I had just repaired and had to re-drain the house and replace that. Then the gate valve that shuts off water to that area snapped when I went to test everything. Had to replace that too.

Told my wife "wait until you get the bill for this" - I spent the better part of the day on this. I'm afraid to touch anything else.

Name:  a100a.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  19.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-14, 12:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ain't life always full of little surprises

at least you were able to fix it yourself could you imagine what a weekend service call would cost

Old 01-26-14, 01:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, after the last -2 night, I had no helpers available, and with my shoulder in a sling, was only sitting in my chair with my bluetooth on directing calls to plumber friends for busted pipes, valves, etc. I hated missing out on that money, but, hey....

Got calls later from my plumber buddies who actually thanked me for the referrals. Made their day/night. Some were working up until dark thirty for a few days.

Glad you got it fixed. Just glad it wasn't in a living area

Old 01-26-14, 02:14 PM
Group Moderator
Up on a roof at 24f and wind gusting to 25 first thing Saturday morning and got five calls after I got home around 4. I am so sick and tired of burst pipes and furnaces not working properly. All my tools are rusty from weeks of crawling through mud & water under houses and getting rain on. Then the temp drops and nothing dries and my stupid Crescent wrench and reciprocating saw freeze solid...

I got home half an hour ago and wifey made me a nice Manhattan so I'm a bit less grumpy but thinking full time in the mountains of Costa Rica is sounding better and better. Highs in the mid 80's and lows in the high 60's year round. No furnaces, no air conditioners, no frozen pipes, the sounds of Toucans and howler monkeys to wake me in the morning and home grown coffee from the garden...

Old 01-26-14, 02:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
All good intentions, the pipes were insulated inside the wall. The elbows however, were not. Both elbows failed... The culprit? A small breach in the house wrap at floor level of my front porch. Opened the wall, and saw daylight peeking under the trim at the pea gravel decking. Damage looks like it had been leaking for a while, but at a slow drip (2nd bad elbow). Wasn't until the catastrophic blow out that it was visible.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to crawl under the house to check the rest of the hardware.

Old 01-26-14, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
The culprit?
Come on cizzi.... You forgot to disconnect the hose from the hose bib right!!!!

Old 01-26-14, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
That's it. Kick him while he's down.

Old 01-26-14, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Over half the calls I got, that was the case. The residents were in sunny Florida and came back, turned on their water and got showers where they didn't intend to have them. All admitted to it, however, with a face slap, I am sure.

Old 01-26-14, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
Being above the mason Dixon line its a must do item on the winterization check list............

Not what was intended, but I have made many mistakes that cost me $$$$ in the long run....

Old 01-26-14, 06:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You forgot to disconnect the hose from the hose bib right!!
No, The elbow that burst was set back 48" from the hose bib. I'll go with my original diagnosis as I could put my finger through the hole and have it peek out on the porch.

I updated the hose bib because I had to close it with a wrench to keep it from the slow drip drip after using it.

Thanks for your support - (Why do I feel like I am in a Bartles and James Commercial?)

Old 01-27-14, 05:48 AM
Sounds like you folks might want to bring in some extra wood and have the snow shovel handy.

Old 01-27-14, 04:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Shifting subjects on Baldwins comment.... My wife wanted a fire in the fireplace during the coldest of the spells this past few weeks, and I said no. I think that a fireplace is decorative and not functional for adding heat into a living space. I think it draws heat out.... What say the consensus...It is a traditional wood burning fireplace with small fresh air inlets built into the brick on each side that goes to outside. I even refuse to run a fire late in the day as I can not close the damper or the air inlet ports prior to bedtime. It sucks all the heat out of the room. Advice????

Old 01-27-14, 04:46 PM
Unless you have a fireplace that is closed combustion, it is negatively efficient. It will feel warm in front of the fire, but it will pull cold air into the house and make all the other rooms colder. I have a fireplace and burn fires from time to time for the pure enjoyment.