Unbeleivebale Fiction Tech

Old 02-01-14, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
Unbeleivebale Fiction Tech

Does it bother you as much as me when your reading a novel and they get the tech stuff all wrong. This is a crime novel about someone making pipe bombs. Early in the novel you get a bit about the bomber and how he found the galvanized pipe he is using under an old house, probably left over from when the plumbing was installed. Then later the ATF guy saying his technical guys believe it is standard 3" galvanized water pipe used in houses. No not a typo. They keep referring to it as if 3" galvanized pipe is as common as dirt. I can almost forgive their multiple discussions about how galvanized pipe is usually cut with a chop saw with absolutely no mention of a pipe cutter but 3" galvanized pipe for residential water?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-14, 02:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You mean you don't have 3" galvanized pipe running to your sinks and tub in your house

Old 02-01-14, 02:22 PM
Group Moderator
Well, I have 3" copper in my house.......

Old 02-01-14, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
hmmm, the price of scrap copper is pretty lucrative ..... when do you expect to be gone for a few hrs

Old 02-01-14, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
3"....That would make for quite a large pipe bomb!

Old 02-01-14, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
3"....That would make for quite a large pipe bomb!
More like dud or cannon since they never mention threading it for caps.

Old 02-01-14, 05:14 PM
I don't see it as much when reading a novel but it is blatantly obvious in movies. The one that really grates my cheese is the fight scene where someone swings a six foot long piece of 2-inch steel pipe hits the hero square across the shoulder blades. Any normal man would go flat on the ground with several broken bones but the hero just shrugs it off like a bite from a gnat. Or another is when someone gets hit full in the face with a one-ton (or larger) chain fall (hoist) and doesn't even feel it.

Three-inch galvanized pipe would be highly uncommon to find under any house. Old houses often used 1-1/2 and 2 inch galvanized in the drain systems but anything larger would have been cast iron with leaded joints. Cast iron might be good for a pipe bomb because it would shatter and send shrapnel but it would be quite difficult to close the ends to the degree necessary to make a bomb. Pipe bombs use threaded galvanized pipe and finding a threader that will accept three inch is going to be a bit difficult in itself. Two inch threaded steel is common but the only three inch threaded I have seen in the last twenty years has been on (fire suppression) sprinkler systems and even that is going more and more to grooved couplings.