Frozen tea

Old 02-11-14, 09:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Frozen tea

I've got a puzzler. I have one of those little square refrigerators in my shop. Every so often I have a bottle of diet tea freeze solid. I've always thought it was because the bottle was placed too close to the 'freezer' compartment. The soda or water has never frozen. I thawed one out completely yesterday but didn't open it so I set it back in the fridge at the bottom, this morning it was froze solid.

Any ideas as to why certain bottles of diet tea would freeze but nothing else does?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-14, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Are the sodas diet as well? If not...I'm thinking the artificial sweetener is raising the freezing point of the tea? Even if the sodas are diet....because of the carbonation...might not be affected the same.

Old 02-11-14, 09:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No it's regular soda. The soda, water and most of the tea never freezes but every now and again I pull a diet tea bottle out that has froze solid. The artificial sweetener is a good a guess as any but why just some bottles and not the ones next to it ..... unless the bottler has quality control issues ??

Old 02-11-14, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Well...all parts of a fridge are at diff temps...even the small ones. I know sometimes some of my beverages have frozen when on the top shelf in the garage unit...but not always. I think the garage temp messes with the stat.

Old 02-11-14, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's what has me puzzled, normally the drinks are fairly close to the freezer/coil but when I set the drink back in the fridge yesterday I set in at the bottom which is about as far from the freezer as you can put anything ..... and it was froze solid this morning. None of the other bottles had any ice in them including the 2 sodas that were next to it.

This only happens with the diet tea and then maybe only one out of a couple dozen. Until today I thought it was because it was too close to the freezer but now I'm mystified.

Old 02-11-14, 03:52 PM
Well, even though the freezer is up top and pretty cold, cold air sinks. So it could be colder at the bottom. I would suspect only the tea freezes because the freezing point of everything else is different. I can't explain why only one bottle of the tea would freeze like that.

Old 02-11-14, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
The bottom rear of most fridges is the coldest spot.

Old 02-12-14, 05:33 AM
Admin Emeritus

May have something to do with what the bottle of tea is next to or close by it. Run a test with several bottles located in different sections of the frig. Make a note what happens to each one. Then rotate each of the same bottles to the another location of an existing one. Note the results.

Use a refrigerator thermometer centered. Obtain a temp and record it. Then move it next to a bottle each time a bottle is rotated into a different location. Idea is to try to determine if it's different temps in different locations within refrigerator or any specific bottle of tea that always freezes while another bottle does not regardless of where it is located.

Often times when a liquid that is sealed in a container is frozen it expands and may pop the lid or expands the container it is sealed within, etc. You can also use two or more thermometers in different locations if you have more then one. ....

DRINK BEER ICE COLD BUT NEVER FREEZE IT..........

Old 02-12-14, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I originally thought that bottles that froze where too close to the freezer compartment but this time I took the now thawed bottle and set it as far from the freezer as possible and it froze rock hard overnight! It's a small fridge but location doesn't seem to make a difference.
You can replace a frozen bottle of tea with another bottle and that bottle of diet tea doesn't freeze

I haven't had a beer in over 20 yrs but then I probably drank up my lifetime allotment of beer in the previous 20+ yrs

Old 02-12-14, 02:04 PM
Admin Emeritus

Keep in mind, those small dorm or RV trailer refrigerators don't have circulation fans. If that's the type I suspect you said you have. (???) Other items above the tea bottles or even near by or below bottles distort the cool airs natural downward flow. As would the upwards warm air flow. Reason why large friggy's have air circulation fans...

Have seen this happen (some items freeze) in my own RV trailers refrigerator. As has those whom I camp with.... Often times adjusting the temp fails too....

Try another brand of tea... Different brand of tea in a can maybe. Sugar free and none sugar free both freeze??? Test friggy temp with that thermometer...

All else fails, three choices.
Stock up with NEAR BEER...
Stop drinking tea...
Service or Replace friggy....

Old 02-12-14, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's a dorm type fridge, square box, no fan and a freezer compartment that isn't really big enough for anything ..... but does make a good place to store a wet wrapped up oil base paint brush

I'm thinking it's the diet tea itself but I like the taste of that particular brand better than the others. The occasional frozen tea isn't a big deal, just curious as to why

Old 02-12-14, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
To add to this..... I carry a bottle of water and a quart bottle of store bought diet iced tea in my truck. I bring them in at night so they don't freeze. I left them sitting out back tonight on the patio. It's about 15f outside.
The iced tea was frozen almost solid in about an hour while the water was just fine.

Old 02-13-14, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
So it must be something in the diet tea. Still doesn't explain why one bottle will freeze and a dozen set in the same spot won't ..... but it's nice to know I'm not the only one that has experienced this odd ball phenomenon.