View Poll Results: Which would be your choice of hammer material?
Foam
0%
Steel
100.00%
Other
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Hammer poll >Title Edited. Survey Changed To Poll<

Old 02-28-14, 10:13 AM
Hammer poll >Title Edited. Survey Changed To Poll<

There was a post requesting us to take a survey on some kind of hammer safety project. I wanted to post but it was deleted before I got a chance. (no, I didn't click on the link. I'm dumb but not stupid. )

My suggestion was going to be to have a law enacted that all hammers were required to be made of foam rubber with a very light density. This would ensure that whether it was from missing the nail and hitting your thumb, or from the hammer falling off the ladder and hitting your head, that no injuries would occur.

What do you think?

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 03-02-14 at 06:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-14, 10:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That thread was removed because surveys are against the rules.

Furd your suggested hammer would be safe but I think my arm would get worn out trying to dry a nail or persuading something to move

Old 02-28-14, 10:30 AM
Not that I care that the post was removed, but I cannot find in the rules where surveys are specifically prohibited. Further, the survey was not on this site but at a linked site. Maybe the link itself was the problem but I can't find that in the rules either.

Didn't Mike Lawrosa try something in the way of a survey (for a test) a few weeks ago?

Again, I don't have any problem with the post having been removed, I just want to see the rules that prohibited it in the first place.

Old 02-28-14, 11:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A link to the rules is posted at the top of each forum;

Any and all ads, advertisements, contact information, solicitations, etc. within the forum topics and or within personal signatures is strictly prohibited. Ads, Advertisements, Surveys, Solicitations to market products, services and or requests to buy/sell/market products and/or hire person(s) to perform work, spam and/or chain letters, blogs, contests, pyramid schemes, phone and/or fax numbers, business and/or email addresses, links to personally owned web sites, business and/or company names used as registered member names, in the forum topics, etc, are not allowed in any forum topics nor on this web site anywhere.

Old 02-28-14, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Also right in the first paragraph:
Do It Yourself Rules and Policies Pertaining to Forum Topics and Web Site Conduct, Behavior, Post Content, Ads, Advertisements, Sales, Soliciting, Pyramid Schemes, Blogs and/or Surveys, etc. All of which are not allowed in the forum topics or to be transmitted through the Forum's Private Messaging system.

Old 02-28-14, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How did I miss that

Old 02-28-14, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
How did I miss that
Probably because you didn't use the "Find" button like I did, lol!

btw, I forgot to answer this:
Didn't Mike Lawrosa try something in the way of a survey (for a test) a few weeks ago?
Not the same. He just wondered if "adding a poll" was a functioning option or not, on the forum itself. Had to ask in order to know the answer.

Old 02-28-14, 01:03 PM
I know surveys are against the rules now but hope in the future they might be allowed. Nothing long just an opinion poll to see how many people might like a certain thing and then limited only to general chats and strictly forbidden elsewhere. Such polls would also help those who organize the website. I do remember a while back questions being asked about the order of the topics and how they should be displayed. A poll about that if and when that topic came up again would be helpful.

Old 02-28-14, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
The surveys that are not allowed, are surveys off the forum. People come here with a link to wherever, asking members here to click on it and answer questions that have nothing to do with the forum.

Old 02-28-14, 01:31 PM
Group Moderator
A foam hammer would have saved me from having a scar on my forehead... early on in my career I was nailing in an awkward position where it was half upside down and I couldn't see what I wad doing- well I hauled back andd clunked myself a good one right between the eyes. DOH!

Old 02-28-14, 01:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
OUCH!!! best I can remember I've never done more than hit the wrong nail - thumbnail

Now days with the loss of most of my depth perception I fair better pulling a trigger instead of using a hammer

Old 02-28-14, 03:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hammers (blunt objects) are the #4 weapon of choice for murder, behind firearms, knives and "other". So it would be a step in the Michael Bloomberg direction for sure. I'll keep my Estwing 28 oz thank you.

Old 02-28-14, 03:49 PM
How does "other" get ranked above something specific?

Old 02-28-14, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
28 oz? Ur arms must be bigger thsn mine!

Old 02-28-14, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
I added a poll. But I am not sure it works, as when I tried it previously some could not vote...

Old 03-01-14, 04:49 AM
Droo, "other" encompasses a myriad of methods clumped together at the end. Those methods may be isolated or off the wall, but have to be categorized, thus "other".

Brant, with the advent of better pneumatic nailers, I only draw my hammer to straighten or tweak wood prior to sending a nail from the nail gun.......which may be "other", don't know i have had the Estwing for a quarter century. It won't break, so I can't justify replacing it.

Old 03-01-14, 05:43 AM
The poll still doesn't work for me. That is o.k. though. Speaking of hammers a while back I bought a pneumatic nailer set a made by Porter Cable. I haven't used the other nailer and I think it is a stapler too but use the brad nailer for a great deal of my wood working projects as I really like how it works. I have an old hammer though that my grandfather owned and was given to my dad who passed it on to me and I would never give that up.

Old 03-01-14, 07:09 AM
Group Moderator
Dad's hammer of choice was the old model of Estwing hammer (maybe it was Stanley back then) that had the handle which was made up of thin leather disks that were all stacked together. By the time I was a kid and could remember using it, I think the handle was slick and black from hand oils... I don't know how popular that design has proved to be with the advent of the rubber handles often used today. I'd kind of like to try one just for nostalgic reasons.

Old 03-01-14, 07:24 AM
In reality, I don't much like rubber handles. I used to work like Michael Jackson with one glove to keep blisters down. A hammer should slip in your hands slightly, and the handle should be smooth.

Old 03-01-14, 07:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have one lightweight hammer that used to belong to my grandfather that has a leather wrapped handle. I used to use it occasionally but the leather is coming apart so now it just looks pretty hanging on the wall!

Old 03-01-14, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
I have 19 different hammers and mallets....am I a hammer hoarder?

Old 03-01-14, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
Alright, who voted??? Fess up to it! None of us can vote but you apparently.

Old 03-01-14, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
It was I...he he.....................

Old 03-01-14, 10:09 AM
Admin Emeritus

Helpful Suggestion:

Re-Read each of the posts made by Shadeladie very closely & very carefully. #'s 5-7 & 9!
No pun intended, but as always, she "Hit's The 'Nail' right on the 'Head'!" Ha Ha...

Primary 2 reasons why SURVEYS are not allowed on this web site.
Not the intent of this site. Read the Mission Statement.
Links made in posts to off our sites location may contain malicious software and/or be used for some other malicious intentions....

There are clear differences and different definitions between polls and surveys. Get out your dictionaries and look both of them up...

The software on this site can or may allow POLLS. Which is controlled internally by V/B. However, allowing such by anyone and everyone would be and can be rather distracting from the intent of the site. Therefore, highly restricted. IMO that would be the case.

Additionally, IMO, the first word in the title of this POLL is incorrect....

Whats would be your choice of hammer material?
It's not Whats, it's What's. As in what is. What's not Whats...:NO NO NO:

Since it's really a question asking choices. Which hammer not whats hammer.

Further more. I did not even know there are hammers made of such materials...hard foam rubber??? For drying nails?.......I've Heard of, have seen and I have used hard material mallets for both wood working and automotive body and fender repairs. For nails? Wet Nails?

trying to dry a nail

...To dry nails??? Ops. I think drive was the intended word....

Hammer material composition really all that important? Or might it be the TRAUMA the impact makes??? Hit or strike to or on the head causes unseen internal trauma regardless of either material used. Correct? Strike to the head with a wooden bat any less then an that of an aluminum bat?

Survey Says....

Old 03-01-14, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Additionally, IMO, the first word in the title of this POLL is incorrect....
LOL.. I saw that but it would not let me correct it..

Tom since your here, why don't they remove the poll option since its not functioning?

Or,

Should DIY get it to function properly?

Just wondering....

Old 03-01-14, 10:43 AM
Admin Emeritus

why don't they remove the poll option since its not functioning?
Should DIY get it to function properly?

Both excellent questions Mike.

Answer to that second question: NO! For reasons mentioned above. Some would make posts simply to obtain a survey or conduct a poll. As an intent only to find out what others think about a subject matter. Not the intent of this site. :NO NO NO:

It is possible changes can, are or maybe are made during V/B software upgrades???? As it pertains to polls. I think V/B allows or does not allow them separately in each forum. Which then means each forum would have to be checked, that option to allow or disallow made in each forum.

Additionally, then it might also be by permission levels. From member up to super mods. I'll have to spend some time investigating each....

Thread title will be corrected asap.

Old 03-01-14, 05:16 PM
Droo, "other" encompasses a myriad of methods clumped together at the end. Those methods may be isolated or off the wall, but have to be categorized, thus "other".
I understand that much, but that is why it shouldn't rank above anything specific. "Other" is always the bottom rank.

Old 03-01-14, 11:39 PM
I personally think as I said before that polls are helpful but agree with you Sharp Advice that they shouldn't be activated except by you as you run everything here with the help of the moderators. You have great moderators here too I think your selection works well here.

I have seen polls help certain things and I take as an example This Old House magazine on their forum on this old house.com polls have helped to get really decent covers out for their magazine. I think such polls created by you and you only would be helpful if you want input from everyone here about possible changes. The reason too that I mention this old house.com is because they use the same software that you use. So polls are certainly possible but can be abused this old house.com was down for months possibly to get rid of user created polls.

That other website too has had a great deal of spammers and until recently within about the last five years ago or so no moderators who are also volunteers. They only used the web developer so it was no wonder they had problems. I noticed though that while their forum is still up you can't find it now as easily while this forum stays open. I like that and want to again say good job to all!