Great Job USPS

Old 03-11-14, 09:24 PM
Group Moderator
Great Job USPS

Bought an item from an individual. They took it to their post office in Iowa on a Monday and then it vanished, no record of it being received. On Friday of that week it was finally marked as Received at USPS Kansas point of origin. Saturday morning it was marked received in Iowa. Sunday it left Iowa. Then seemingly vanished again.Five days later it arrived in Dallas. And a day later in Houston. Even the Pony Express would be embarrassed by that, Feb 24-Mar8. The seller said that is normal for items shipped at their post office.

Oh and a tip another seller passed on to me. If a package tracking number begins with a 004 the post office doesn't actually track it. Since I found this out I have noticed that is always true.

Does UPS and Fedx hire Wizards that manically transports their packages? That surely can be the only explanation. If it could be done without magic certainly the post office would be doing it as fast and reliable on a regular basis.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-14, 09:39 PM
Jan 27 I mailed a package from central Texas to Colorado Springs, CO. (1400 mi.) Bought a tracking #. (sure glad I did)
That package went to Nevada and bounced around several days, then to Denver, Co. Then to CA, then to NV, and back to Denver. They sent it to CA again. During this time I had filed a complaint with my local post office and sent two e-mails outlining problem to USPS. Told them to use some human intervention on tracking # and either deliver package to Colorado Springs address or return to sender.
Must have finally stirred the beast because the package went back to Denver, then Colorado Springs, and then delivered. Total time -- 28 days.

Next I sent one to the DFW metro-mess (125 mi.) and it delivered next day.
GO FIGURE!
RR

Old 03-11-14, 09:41 PM
Group Moderator
One of life's greatest mysteries.

Old 03-11-14, 11:12 PM
Some of the members may remember my problem with a battery for my laptop computer that I had a year or so ago. I am STILL waiting for that original battery. The BEST answer I got from USPS was that once it arrived in my LOCAL post office they could then determine where it had been.

Old 03-11-14, 11:39 PM
Group Moderator
LMAO..... Furd..... reading your reply made me think of that traveling gnome. Picture your battery traveling around the country.... enjoying itself.

Name:  gnome 003.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  37.0 KB

Old 03-12-14, 03:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Like the guy who approached the Delta Airlines counter to buy a ticket to Los Angeles. He asked that his first bag be sent to Seattle, and his second bag be sent to Newark. The ticket agent said "Sir, we can't do that!" He replied "The heck you can't. You did it last week!"

Old 03-12-14, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Recently I ordered an ink cartridge for my stepson. If I remember correctly, I ordered it on a Monday and USPS delivered in on Friday. While checking the tracking number I saw where it bounced around in California for more than 3 days but then only took 30 hrs from there to my mailbox. As long as it stayed on the west coast I never dreamed it would have been delivered on time.

Locally they've done away with all our regional sorting stations, now all our mail goes thru Knoxville - long trip for a letter/bill that just needs to go across town.

Old 03-12-14, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
Here's a little know item on shipping: Do you know what happens to some packages sent via USPS? They're carried by UPS & Fedex.

Old 03-12-14, 05:12 AM
John, I have the opposite problem. I specify Fedex on a shipment, and they tender it to USPS for delivery at our post office. One extra day's waiting.

Old 03-12-14, 09:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

LMAO....HA HA HA. Happens to all of us sooner or later.... Presently experiencing the same dilemma!!!...

I specify FedEx on a shipment, and they tender it to USPS for delivery at our post office. One extra day's waiting.
Do you know what happens to some packages sent via USPS? They're carried by UPS & FedEx.
Welcome to the "World Of Logistics."

Packages that have No Priority can arrive just about anytime. Shipper has no further obligation except to get the package to it's final destination. As it was explained to me by an insider. Same applies to same day departures and arrivals by passenger air travel. Even overnight air travel! Anytime before midnight on the arrival date is the carriers only obligation.

As far as package freight, carried by whom ever the original carried has a contract with and they in-turn have the room to transport it by any means. Or when ever there is enough volume of packages, carried by whom ever is going somewhere in the intended direction... All else fails, the package waits by whom ever has it until there is enough items and/or some carrier has the space and or is going somewhere in the intended direction.

Post Office now pre-determines (logistics) how a package gets transported based upon packages destination. Not necessarily the senders choice...:NO NO NO: Listen closely to the clerk when you bring a package to the post office. The price and logistics is almost all pre-figured out before you're informed of the logistics transport method and price...

Unless you request a priority shipment, air freight or some alternate shipment method, if one is available, logistics will choose for you... Now don't you too just love logistics....

BTW:
Luggage is not subjected to the same passenger air travel rules. It just has to get there when ever it can and/or where ever it is (????) and/or when ever we find it...LOL!

Old 03-12-14, 12:56 PM
I once bought a camera from an online police auction that ships only through Fedex. The camera took a whole month to get to my house. I notified the shipper and made calls to Fedex and still no word about the camera. Finally it arrived and I started using it right away as all I needed were some AA batteries. It was fine for a month but you guessed it after a month it died. Well not completely it will not take pictures but you can get it to take video.

As for those packages that go through UPS Smart Post you can get UPS to continue carrying the package for a small charge. That way you don't have to wait for your package to come through the post office. I have done that a few times when there is something I really don't want to wait for and would rather have one carrier handle everything.

I also don't entirely trust the post offices tracking system even if they say they have improved as at one time I bought some computer memory from an e-bay seller and it never arrived. Luckily I bought insurance for it but had to fight tooth and nail with the seller to get a replacement. Finally after much convincing I managed to prevail.

Old 03-12-14, 03:52 PM
Luggage is not subjected to the same passenger air travel rules. It just has to get there when ever it can and/or where ever it is (????) and/or when ever we find it
True, Tom. I was sitting on an aircraft in Miami at 2pm, and at push back saw my baggage on a cart out on the tarmac. It finally got to Atlanta, two days later.

I learned one thing.....do not plan your flights at shift change for the baggage handlers!! Off going shift dropped everything and oncoming shift couldn't care less.

The worst thing was I worked for the airline

Old 03-22-14, 02:22 AM
I Just recently ordered a pedal tuner for my guitar off of ebay and it was sent via USPS. The tracking said it left SALISBURY on the 10th and arrived in Salisbury on the 11th. I emailed the sender after about a week asking what happened if he gave me the wrong tracking or did it get returned and he said the postal carrier scanned about 30 packages wrong. Also I had ordered a battery glass back for a co-workers Iphone 4s. took 3 days once it arrived for the stupid mailman to drop it off. Too lazy to come to the door and leave it on the porch or drop it off at the front office if the mailbox was full. Tracking said notice left. No notice was left. 2nd day said delivered but again not in mailbox or porch. Saturday its in the mailbox.

Old 03-22-14, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator
On the flip side, I ordered something that was shipped from California on Tuesday, tracking said it was coming next Tuesday, but was delivered yesterday!

So, sometimes they're actually ahead of schedule. I think it also depends on who's doing the shipping. I ordered from a large company, and I think they go the extra mile for them.

Old 03-22-14, 07:15 AM
Group Moderator
I think it also depends on who's doing the shipping.
Very true. I have an account with an internet paperback book rental service that works similar to Netflix except it's books not video. Unlimited books for a set monthly fee.

When I started the turnaround time for when you received your books and sent them back was averaging 18-20 days and sometimes longer. Customer were unhappy because it greatly limited the number of books you could get for your monthly fee. The complaints in the company forum were heard and the company replied they were putting pressure on the post office. Knowing they'd loose customers probably made the company aggressive with the post office and the fact they have thousands of customers probably gave them the presence to get results. Turn around time is now down to less than ten days in most cases.

Old 03-22-14, 12:39 PM
I had something I can't remember what now but it was from Amazon.com or drugstore.com I can't be certain now and I told them about the missing item and it was replaced. They just said if you get the other package finally to just refuse it. Either company though is good about doing that if a package is missing. Some places though could care less and even warn you to buy insurance as they will not replace your item if it is lost.