Do good quality, heavy-duty gloves exist?

Old 03-14-14, 10:14 AM
Do good quality, heavy-duty gloves exist?

Sorry this is not on topic but I could not find an appropriate forum for this question - and I figured this would be a good place...

So, I go to Lowe's and buy the expensive leather gloves. They don't last as long as I reasonably think they should.

I could buy the cheap gloves and buy them more often but I'd rather not do that. I'd rather spend more and have something last a decent length of time.

I want gloves that don't wear out prematurely and don't split at the seams after a few uses.

Yes, I'm hard on gloves, but doesn't someone make good gloves that last a reasonable length of time?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-14, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Moved this to Chats, which is a better place, I think.

Old 03-14-14, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Gloves is an interesting topic. My biggest problem is that most gloves, even though they are labeled with a size, are the same size. I have large hands and can just barely squeeze them into large gloves. I found some XL gloves that were actually the same size as large.

Leather gloves are definitely not what they used to be. What are you using them for ?

Old 03-14-14, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
PJ asked an important question. What are you using them for? I have 5 or 6 different types of gloves depending on the job. I love my soft thin pigskin(?) gloves for light work...but if I'm handling heavy rough material...they will wear out quickly.

Old 03-14-14, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
I like the Wells Lamont Premium Cow Hide gloves and I get them in the three pack when Costco has them. I have never had a seem fail and I usually kill them by eventually wearing through the leather. I buy the medium size which take some tugging to put on the first few times but they soon stretch and break in to the shape of my hand. Getting them a bit small still provides the protection but in a more snug fitting glove that lets me pick up nails and pencils. The larges initially felt like they fit better when I tried them on but remain feeling like big work gloves that I have to take off to do finer work.

I am no fan of the "fancy" work gloves originally intended for mechanics. They fit nice and snug but on some models the synthetic leather wears through quickly and even tears. I very quickly wore through the pads of the fingers when doing masonry work and even got splinters through the synthetic palm material. Rather disappointing for such expensive gloves.

Old 03-14-14, 12:25 PM
I would never pay much for my leather work gloves and buy several pairs at a time from Harbor Freight Tools. They have lasted for many years of use and for doing some pretty nasty work like tearing out old moldy dry wall and tearing out tile in a bathroom. I don't use my work gloves every day but they definitely can handle the tough chores I need them for. I am about ready after so many years of use to need some more sometime and wouldn't hesitate to buy Harbor Freight brand again.

Old 03-14-14, 12:38 PM
I'm using them for general outdoor work, like brush removal, handling stone and aggregate of all sizes, trail building and maintenance.

One thing I do that's hard on them is scraping them along the ground to clean up an area. The pigskin or cowhide or whatever it is gets worn though on the middle fingers first.

Thanks for your replies.

Old 03-14-14, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
I bought some mason gloves that have some Kevlar in them. I used them for handling block and stone, as well as for on the job. They have out lasted most of the other gloves and still give good dexterity.
I believe they are the "Ansell HyFlex Masonry Gloves" but just look for ones that say "Kevlar" or cur resistant.

Old 03-15-14, 12:53 PM
Admin Emeritus
You want what? Consumer based Quality products????

Not sure anything like that even exists anymore...

Let me check.................Checking..........Still Checking.... NOPE! Sorry sir. We have almost nothing of quality made anymore. But there are still choices. You can buy cheap, cheaper or cheapest... Many of a product made of inferior quality for very little $$$ or only a very few if any good long lasting products made of good quality for only a few more dollars. If you can find any...

We, as consumers, have been conditioned and become accustomed to making most purchases based upon price first. Not quality. It could also be a choice between quantity (how many for how much) over quality and at what price is the consumer willing to pay..???

Who wins and who looses? Consumers loose. Manufacturer wins. They can sell us a quality product as an example, that lasts 10 years or sell us several of the same product in the same time period. We loose and they win....

Personally, I would rather buy quality over price. Would pay half again as much to buy a product that lasts many times longer then buy several of the same product multiple times. The days of most quality products are long gone and not likely to return any time soon....

Old 03-15-14, 01:22 PM
Sharp Advice, you hit upon my hot button with your rant. "Not likely to return any time soon" is right, unfortunately.

It's a vicious cycle that manufacturers are (perhaps happily) caught up in - Lowe's can't offer better quality because Home Depot doesn't.

One quick example: I went to Lowe's to shop for one of those clamp-on work lights with the aluminum bowl-shaped reflector. I picked it up out of the display carton and in just picking it up, my fingers bent and deformed the aluminum. And I'm a careful person, not a thoughtless ape.

My dream is to start a company that sells U.S.-made, high quality items. People I've told this to said it would never fly because people buy on price (as you said) and some simply can't afford a higher price.

I say if done properly, such a venture would work. I believe there are enough people like you and me (albeit in the minority) who would pay more for quality.

Old 03-15-14, 01:46 PM
I say if done properly, such a venture would work. I believe there are enough people like you and me (albeit in the minority) who would pay more for quality.
If this were true, we wouldn't be having such a conversation. Americans are cheap. Even if they can afford it, they don't want to pay more money if they can buy it for less.

Old 03-15-14, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Not me. I will always pay more for quality, if I can find it that is.
It is unfortunate that so many do just want cheap.
Shame.

Old 03-15-14, 08:34 PM
I think if you look hard enough you can still find quality and quality at an affordable price and made here. Two things have to happen though the owners of the manufacturing plant can't be greedy and the workers can't be greedy either. Outside influences though have to change too such as a lower cost of living and more people need to buy product X and support product X's manufacturer and their employees. If they don't buy the product and don't support the manufacturer and the employees then the product will no longer be made here.

Search this Thread